Author Topic: Unworthy  (Read 550 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Unworthy
« on: March 24, 2017, 05:24:47 am »
http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/03/22/marvel-teases-a-third-thor-in-the-comics

Did anyone read/follow Unworthy?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
OK so what Fury said to Thor to make him unworthy to hold the hammer: Groo was right.  Groo is a new villain who wants to kill gods bc he feels they do more harm than good.  Ok... Why would Fury saying that create unquenchable doubt in Thor?  Makes as much sense as "Martha".

This is why I am happy I buy TPB instead of monthlies.    I would have bought the miniseries Unworthy, expecting Thor to get the Ultimate Thor Hammer by the end of the series.  But now we are getting a "12th" Thor called War-Thor!  If I had been buying this as monthly, I would have been majorly disappointed.  Now, I probably won't even buy it; just hope I can read a library copy.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Re: Unworthy
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 07:35:50 am »
I thought it worked very well.

Thor had doubts about the usefulness of Gods during the Gorr arc. Right up to the very last issue.

Basically, Fury brought all this right back to the surface. The fact Fury knew about Gorr at all would have caught Thor by surprise and to say something that deep down, Thor agreed with, brought it all rushing back to the surface.

I am glad he didn't pick up the hammer. Thor is more than a damn hammer and he is finally re-realizing it. He is a God, the son of Odin, God of Thunder, prince of Asgard. He doesn't NEED the hammer.

I really really like Aarons run. The God Butcher story is one of my favorites, ever (and one of the few trades I have in hardcopy). The only dip in quality was the first few issues of the Jane stuff as it went full "girl power" instead of writing good stories. When he got done with that, he went right back to great stories and this current Shiar War story has been fantastic.

I do miss my real Thor though and I thought hte mini was quite good personally.

To each their own though. I do believe he shoudn't have waited 2.5 years to reveal what was said as no reveal would have matched 2.5 years of anticipations/arguing/wondering about it.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 08:58:36 am »
er... so what does all this mean going forward?

Is "Odinson" (still awkward name, for me anyway) only going to have the axe?  What powers does the Axe have, if any?  What innate powers does Odinson still have?  Can he still fly, or can he only leap at this point?

who, if anyone, is going to pick up the 'Ultimate' hammer?
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 11:39:17 am »
er... so what does all this mean going forward?

Is "Odinson" (still awkward name, for me anyway) only going to have the axe?  What powers does the Axe have, if any?  What innate powers does Odinson still have?  Can he still fly, or can he only leap at this point?

who, if anyone, is going to pick up the 'Ultimate' hammer?

He is keeping the Axe. Jarnbjorn is its name.

It is indestructible and has an enchantment on it so it can cut Celestial armor.

He has his God of Thunder powers still. It was mentioned that the thunder wasn't listening as often as it used to but it was implied that was a confidence thing post Whisper. In Unworthy 5, he used his powers to one shot Proxima, Swain, Hela, and the Collector. So it appears that may be a thing of the past.

He cannot fly. He uses his Goats. Toothgnasher and Toothgrinder.

Someone else picked up the hammer in this same issue but it didn't reveal its identity. He called himself the War Thor. He is going ot be revealed ina  few issues of MIghty Thor.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 07:59:27 am »
I enjoyed Unworthy.

Just got Jason Aaron's God of Thunder TPB in the mail. Hooked from first two pages.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 12:19:20 pm »
I'm still interested in seeing a story where a black guy picks up the hammer.  I remember when Beta Ray Bill was merged with a black male some years back, but I'm thinking this angle was quietly abandoned.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 12:21:06 pm »
I enjoyed Unworthy.

Just got Jason Aaron's God of Thunder TPB in the mail. Hooked from first two pages.

Is that the God Butcher/God Bomb arc?

If so... it is one of the very few paper comics I own. One of my favorite stories ever.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 12:46:11 pm »
I enjoyed Unworthy.

If so... it is one of the very few paper comics I own. One of my favorite stories ever.

God Butcher. I read two pages on my way from the gym today and had to put it down because it was too much for me. Need a full non working day to properly enjoy it. lol

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 12:50:55 pm »
I enjoyed Unworthy.

God Butcher. I read two pages on my way from the gym today and had to put it down because it was too much for me. Need a full non working day to properly enjoy it. lol

Def pick up the next paper back (God Bomb) as well

great story all around.

That is how you do a story that is a year long lol.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 05:21:15 pm »
I enjoyed Unworthy.

Do you get digital comics and store them on an external hard drive? I was thinking of doing something like that if my LCS ever closed.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 10:19:16 am »
So War-Thor has been revealed as
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Volstagg

Thoughts?

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 10:43:48 am »
Great reveal

Really fit the story

Offline CvilleWakandan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 12:14:32 pm »
Haven't read Thor Generations, but apparently the last couple of pages are interesting. lol

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/23/odin-phoenix-generations-thors-spoilers/