Author Topic: Power Rangers  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Power Rangers
« on: March 26, 2017, 04:45:08 am »
The first act was a lot better than I thought it would be. 

Too bad the black kid is the only was member who was not a model previously, and while it's great to have an autistic character as a hero, I wish he did have to be double burdened in that way.  I wish they did more with his smarts.

Has a black actor ever been the Red Ranger? 

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Power Rangers
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 05:10:33 am »
Yes, SPD, RPM and I believe Turbo.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 07:00:30 am »
I was already college-aged when the first power rangers show came out. It was cool & amusing for a little while, clearly aimed at folks who were younger than me; I'm sure I would have been all-in if I were 10 when it first came out.  I liked trying to figure out which were the American-shot sequences and which were the original Japanese footage.  I even remember checking out the first movie in the late 90s.

I really haven't paid any attention to it since that era.  I remember when Saban Entertainment purchased the video rights to the Marvel TV back catalog, several years before Disney purchased Marvel (and for a while, Saban was bought out by Disney, before being spun off a few years later).

So, with the understanding that the original main audience for this are pushing 30 and older, does the story have much of anything for folks who aren't kids?

Is the narrative at least semi-adult in tone?  Is it mostly campy/goofball?

Who are the standout actors, if any?

Continuing with a sidebar rarely addressed in other superhero films, I wonder if the vast property/landscape destruction aftermath issues (giant mecha vs. kaiju beasts) are dealt with at all?

Sidebar 2:  I wish that the original Ultraman, Battle of the Planets, and Spectreman were available on the streaming sites.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 11:36:45 am »
I was already college-aged when the first power rangers show came out. It was cool & amusing for a little while, clearly aimed at folks who were younger than me; I'm sure I would have been all-in if I were 10 when it first came out.  I liked trying to figure out which were the American-shot sequences and which were the original Japanese footage.  I even remember checking out the first movie in the late 90s.

I really haven't paid any attention to it since that era.  I remember when Saban Entertainment purchased the video rights to the Marvel TV back catalog, several years before Disney purchased Marvel (and for a while, Saban was bought out by Disney, before being spun off a few years later).

So, with the understanding that the original main audience for this are pushing 30 and older, does the story have much of anything for folks who aren't kids?

Is the narrative at least semi-adult in tone?  Is it mostly campy/goofball?

Who are the standout actors, if any?

Continuing with a sidebar rarely addressed in other superhero films, I wonder if the vast property/landscape destruction aftermath issues (giant mecha vs. kaiju beasts) are dealt with at all?

Sidebar 2:  I wish that the original Ultraman, Battle of the Planets, and Spectreman were available on the streaming sites.

To your questions:

1. The narrative was a mix of serious enough (but not overly serious or depressing) teen drama and a mix of comedy and camp. I don't think the seriousness or the camp overrode the other in the film. For the most part they meshed well together. I got the sense that the crowd I was watching the film with, which spanned various age ranges, liked it. I personally felt that some of the language and at least one of the jokes was inappropriate and I would not recommend showing the film to kids younger than 12.

2. This is a matter of debate, but it seems like RJ Cyler (Billy/Blue Ranger) is the breakout star here. He provides a good deal of the comic relief among the Power Rangers and it seems to me like critics have had the most positive things to say about him among any of the cast.

3. The massive destruction isn't dealt with at all in the film outside of the Power Rangers being hailed as heroes. I think there is a comic book that takes place right after the film that might delve into those issues.

I picked up the original Ultraman series on DVD a few years back. I used to love that series when I was a kid. But I couldn't get into it as an adult. I guess you can't go home again. That being said, I would love to see a big screen adaptation of Ultraman. There is an updated manga series and I read the first volume of that, and that wasn't bad.

I also would love to see a movie for Battle of the Planets, though when I was watching it they called it G-Force.

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 06:00:31 pm »
Yes, SPD, RPM and I believe Turbo.

Turbo counts, but unlike SPD and RPM TJ didn't start as the Red Ranger at the beginning of the season. Starting with episode 18 of that season they swapped out the Rangers save for the Blue Ranger with new people. TJ essentially replaced Tommy. Still ep 18 to 45 is a good run...only to be inexplicably downgraded to Blue Ranger when they went into space next season but, it still counts. :)
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 12:55:57 pm »
This was so boring

When they finally get to power ranger stuff, it was so stiff and unimaginative

Only part i liked was the classic theme song and the smack

Wasny even worth red box money.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 04:10:34 pm »
This was so boring

So are the sequels in jeopardy?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 07:27:09 am »
This was so boring

So are the sequels in jeopardy?

YEs

Box office disappointed

i believe the director or someone mentioned home video sales may save the sequel though.

the toys are fugly as hell, i wonder how they did honestly. My son had no interest, he prefers the classic looking stuff because they actually look like dinosaurs.....

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 06:59:57 am »
I liked the film, and I wasn't a watcher of the Power Rangers series back in the day. It sucks that it didn't really catch on, but I can see why. For one, there wasn't enough of the Power Rangers in their suits and in action. I get that the film took time to introduce and build up their characters but that came at the expense of the action. I also think the film could've taken more chances in changing up the standard teen or action movie which is normally centered around a white male. Though the guy playing the Red Ranger, and of course, the leader of the team, wasn't the most interesting character and yet he was the character the film was based around. He was supposed to have the leadership mantle just because. Granted he was a quarterback in the film but we never saw much leadership potential or examples in the film to justify him being the pegged the leader of the team. I would argue that RJ Cyler's Blue Ranger was more interesting. Either have the Blue Ranger or Naomi Scott's Pink Ranger for the leader.

In addition to the training montages, I think the Power Rangers needed a mission to get their feet wet before their big battle at the end. I also wish they had played the old theme song longer or more often. One of the best parts of the film was the brief time they were playing the theme song and the Power Rangers were charging into battle.