Author Topic: First look at CW's Black Lightning  (Read 10559 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: First look at CW's Black Lightning
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 07:28:59 pm »
! No longer available

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 12:26:49 pm »

Why my man look like Jordan Peele though
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 01:22:32 pm »

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

APEXABYSS

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2017, 06:06:49 pm »
sucks! not one original creative moment. as generic as generic gets. there was that electrical scene that was nice, but the rest is Gar-bage. yep, I said it & I apologize for my usual forwardness. I rarely criticize effort. damn, I want to give the character props, but the show deserves to be roasted! I hope the creators of static has something beyond the norm. CW's BL offers nothing new. does it? I didn't think so. last look

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 04:37:33 am »
I thought it was a decent trailer. I mean the show runners (the same folks behind The Game and Being Mary Jane) as far as I know aren't well-versed in writing action stories or superhero stories so that might be why it appears so generic. Then again, Greg Berlanti is also overseeing this and it's on CW, so it might fit that CW aesthetic as well which gives it a sameness.

I can see Black Lightning carving out a path of its own with a kind of soft Luke Cage like focus on social issues, but without the depth, intelligence, or even empathy because the show will be handcuffed by being on CW, and also being under Berlanti, whose superhero shows thus far have a spotty record when it comes to depicting black characters, especially black males. Sometimes it's good like Joe West, sometimes its iffy like Diggle, James Olsen, Kid Flash, or Firestorm, and then it's bumbling like Mr. Terrific. So it's not all bad or all good there. I can see some heavy-handed and trite messages about personal responsibility with some mild criticism of the 'system', though from the perspective that there are bad apples in every barrel. The barrel itself will not be considered.

What I also suspect will happen with Black Lightning is that he's going to get his ass kicked quite a bit. The excuse will be that he's a rusty hero coming out of retirement. I also think his wife and daughters will have large roles on the show (as they should) but it will be done in a way to undercut Black Lightning. We'll get scenes and dialogue with Black Lightning professing how much he needs them, how much he relies on them, how he can't do it without them, but I don't think there will be reciprocal scenes from them. And I also think Anissa will be a very big character here-maybe the stealth main character. A black lesbian finally on a Berlanti show is just too hard for them to ignore and not promote. And we'll likely see her with a non-black lover and also see his other daughter Jennifer with a non-black boyfriend at some point.

If the Pierces are divorced, I could suspect Jefferson will be getting some non-black woman at some point as well.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:39:15 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2017, 03:53:53 pm »
Does Black Lightning have his own city in this show?  I know in the comics there was this angle of "suicide slum", shared with Metropolis, but.... I don't think it's a good idea to call his city that.

Also, by season 2, I hope there is room for Steel to show up, since I suspect he's not prioritized to show up in any Superman sequels nor the Justice League movies.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 03:56:10 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2017, 08:30:47 pm »
I think Black Lightning will be based in New Orleans for the show. Steel would be cool. So far he hasn't shown up on Supergirl so he's out there to use. The problem would be though his tie to Superman. On Earth-1, where Black Lightning, Arrow, Flash are based, there is no Superman. Superman so far is only on Earth-38 with Supergirl. They could just do an Earth-1 John Henry Irons who has no ties to Superman or have the Earth-38 Irons come over to Earth-1.

Now it's got me thinking that Black Lightning could be a place to showcase many of Milestone characters, and other black DC/Wildstorm characters:

Bumblebee, Voodoo, Michael Cray, Spectre, Jakeem Thunder, Black Spider, Tattooed Man, Vigilante, Orpheus, Azrael, Batwing (I know, wishful thinking), Vixen (not the one on Legends), Silencer, Crimson Avenger, Tally Man, Aqualad, Bronze Tiger, Bloodwynd, Joto/Hotspot, Amazing Man, Nu'Bia/Nubia, Natasha Irons, Empress, Black Vulcan, Crowbar, Ronald Troupe, Black Mass, Coldsnap (and the Masters of Disaster), Jezebel Jet, Morgan Ducard, Mr. Bones, Iceberg, Power Girl, Skitter, Duke Thomas.

It would be cool if they introduced the Outsiders on the show as well.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2017, 11:24:34 am »
All I can say is that it's filming in Atlanta.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Online CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2017, 05:38:27 pm »
Is it inexpensive to shoot down there? Lots of production is taking place there. Will probably rival Canada soon. lol
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2017, 04:17:51 pm »
Is it inexpensive to shoot down there? Lots of production is taking place there. Will probably rival Canada soon. lol

Rival Canada?
Dude, we're number 1.
The Tax Incentives alone are the reason why...but Georgia is very film friendly.
Once NC and Louisiana dropped the ball, there was no stopping us.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Online CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 01:37:35 pm »
DC is having a Pop Up shop in D.C. MLK weekend. They are premiering Black Lightning and cast members will be there. I found out too late and it sold out.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."