Author Topic: First look at CW's Black Lightning  (Read 2806 times)

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: First look at CW's Black Lightning
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2018, 07:23:50 pm »
Could Khalil Become the Newest Member of The 100 on 'Black Lightning'?

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/black-lightning/could-khalil-become-the-newest-67616.aspx

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2018, 07:48:38 pm »
I think he will. Perhaps Tobias is going to give him the ability to walk again and we might get the first proper supervillain on the show. I was thinking the Hulk-kid was going to lead to something. I mean the side-effects of that drug should've been more disastrous. Perhaps the budget isn't there but there should've been chaos in that city with people hulking out. I'm wondering if the music budget has already run out as well. The first two episodes especially had great music. And the third episode had an Aretha Franklin Gospel song (from checking online).

I also am noticing that there is a sameness to the episodes starting to creep in, with a big action climax usually in a hallway at some point at the end of the episode. The Anissa testing her powers scenes are also already becoming similar. I think they need to do more to mix it up. And I feel they are making her too masculine looking. The other CW heroines kick ass but are still feminine looking, but Anissa is moving and acting like a dude too much for my taste. In comics, it was Grace who was the more masculine one.

I also hope they eventually explain why a tailor has access to all that technology. And since he had all these resources why was he waiting on Jefferson for 10 years? He could've been fighting crime himself. I also wish they would work on the gangster nicknames. I do like that they mentioned Two Bits had a 70's sounding name, a nod perhaps to BL's blaxploitation origins, but this show needs to up its threat level when it comes to villains. Eve and Whale are good, though I think they've hamstrung Whale by having him in hiding. I wish he was the mayor instead and that it took a lot of layers to get to him. I think they could get more mileage out of the character. I'm curious to see what role his sister will play, unless her inclusion is there to just show that Whale (i.e. black men) are incompetent and women run things. Her suggestion seems like something a crafty person like Tobias would already have thought up on his own.

I still enjoy the cast for the most part (Lynn gets on my nerves, but that's what the character is supposed to be there to do so I can't be mad at that really). I wouldn't mind if Jefferson hollered at the vice-principal. They can't keep putting her in those scenes and nothing keeps happening.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2018, 02:01:45 pm »
Speaking of the Vice Principal...
   Glawdhamercy. She's wearin' those pants!

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2018, 03:44:11 pm »
! No longer available

! No longer available

! No longer available

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2018, 05:25:50 am »
I thought the fifth episode was decent. I am glad that Anissa's exploration of her superpowers is now going into the mythology of the overall show, instead of just having her do training montages and beating up random people every week. Now she has a mystery to solve which ties into her own family and also opens the door to bring more metahumans into the mix.  It was also cool seeing Anissa's original superhero costume-as terrible as the design looks-but on this actress, I don't think anything can really look bad.

I'm iffy about the scenes of the Whale family. It does help explain why Tobias is as screwed up as he is, but I don't need another media depiction of an abusive black father. I still cram to understand why Tobias's sister is on this show. I still believe she was bought in on the premise that men need women because women are just better. And I saw aspects of that when some parents visited Jeff's house angry about a fight between Jennifer and one girl. (It was some good casting because the girl with the broken arm and the woman playing her mother looked like they were related). Lynn just took over and the women and Lynn sort of had Jeff off to the side. Lynn also was regulating in a house she's just a visitor in and refuses to come back to permanently, and Jeff didn't check her for that. I thought Jennifer was in the right for defending herself, and while Jeff's later speech wasn't bad, it is the show twisting itself into knots to promote a non-violence message on a vigilante show where Pierce not only defends himself but jumps into fights. It just felt muddled. I think it would've been interesting instead to see him take Jennifer's side, to say it's okay to defend yourself, but that's not the conventional wisdom on these shows and it's certainly not the province of black men to claim a right to defend themselves. They are a little more open to the idea of black women doing it, but not black men. And if black men are allowed that right, they are under a white man's control or guidance in some way (cop, soldier, or in BL's case, Gambi being his mentor and weapons' guy).

I'm also not feeling Tobias's henchmen. The Kenny G looking guy named Joey Toledo. Joey Toledo is a great mobster name, but I wish they had gotten a big, bruiser to play the character. This could've been Pierce's Billy Russo (Jigsaw). And the supposed to be 'badass' female hitwoman who is like 50 pounds and reminds me of Krysten Ritter, though without her personality. There is a villain problem with the show. You take a good villain like Lala, but give him the name Lala, and then kill him off early on, yet keep the weaker villains around. You bring in Tobias's sister who doesn't even really have a flair or something that unique to her and is there to council Tobias on things a crafty, politician turned mobster should know himself.

This show planted seeds, it moved forward, but at times it felt like it was a filler, exposition episode. Glad they put some James Brown in the episode.

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2018, 05:10:42 pm »
Fun fact: last night's episode was a sort of "Living Single" mini-reunion as Tobias Whale's father was played by T.C. Carson a.k.a. Kyle Barker.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2018, 05:18:42 pm »
I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Maybe they should've cast Overton as Chief Henderson. And have some of the other members show up. Erika Alexander has written comics before so she might be down.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2018, 03:26:02 pm »
You didn't notice Kyle Barker?!
I hope he survives. It was cool seeing him on screen.
And I loved how they did the flashback scene.

So Tobias has a serum that keeps him from aging, huh?  Looking forward to that storyline.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2018, 02:25:35 pm »

I'm also not feeling Tobias's henchmen. The Kenny G looking guy named Joey Toledo. Joey Toledo is a great mobster name, but I wish they had gotten a big, bruiser to play the character.

1. Joey is supposed to a slim, strong, silent type. That's canon and they seem to be sticking to canon. (Don't ask why I researched that)
2. What if that character was played by a tall (6'4), slim black dude? How would that have changed the scene.  (Just...wondering)

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2018, 04:07:33 pm »
This is what Joey looked like in the original comics:

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2018, 05:06:11 pm »
But his character description for the show listed him as tall, quiet and thin. Race wasn't specified.
Again, if he was tall and black, would that scene make sense? Would him being next to Tobias make sense?
Askin' for a friend.

Also, Antonio Fargas' character's name is David Poe.
I haven't seen a Black Poe on TV since...moi!