Author Topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)  (Read 59590 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Trailer)
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2017, 03:05:31 pm »
so who were finn's parents? how are stormtroopers bred?  do you just volunteer?  are they hijacked at a young age and indoctrinated?

has this been explored in the novels anywhere? the comics?

Finn's parents haven't been identified, to my knowledge. In TFA, General Hux mentions that the new stormtroopers are taken early in childhood so I'm assuming that at least part of the First Order stormtrooper ranks are filled with essentially slave soldiers.

From the Wookieepedia entry:

Through this policy emerged a new generation of stormtroopers; an army of soldiers inspired by their clone and Imperial predecessors, they were taken from their parents at birth and raised to be absolutely loyal to the First Order.[1]

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stormtrooper_(First_Order)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2017, 03:10:49 pm »
TFA was lazy as f*ck.

The only reason it has any substance and is still talked about is all the "mystery" aka sh*t they didnt bother explaining.

I thought rogue one was boring but the movie had balls as least.

I think clone wars, rebels, and the comics are the best thing to come out of star wars imo.

I liked Rogue One though the first half was a little slow. And it was a darker film than I was anticipating. This film presented the most morally gray heroes I've seen thus far in a Star Wars film. Lucas tried to pull that off in the prequels but he just didn't have the skills, and perhaps the inclination, to show Anakin in a gray zone. Lucas just had to have go the kid route in Episode I and he didn't know how to take a character from innocent child to mass murdering adult in an organic, rational way.

I do think Rogue One did have some balls. I loved the Vader scene toward the end, though it's not as impressive upon repeated viewing.

I'm also a fan of the comics (both Dark Horse and Marvel), fan of Clone Wars and Rebels has grown on me. I also liked some of the pre-Disney Star Wars novels. It appears I'm one of the few people who liked the New Jedi Order series and the Yuuzhan Vong.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yuuzhan_Vong

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2017, 03:28:48 pm »
Wow,

You went Biblical on me huh?

Now, you're impressed? ;D

That verse I quoted describes why Finn & Rey won this victory.

It's survival of the fittest that wins victories, not flagrant displays of perceived power.

See, arguing with you isn't even a chore or a challenge. Arguing with you is an opportunity  (for all the world to see) to point out your glaring descrepancies.
In some of your sentences you are able to make points and substantiate them, in other parts of your sentences you get lost in this whole passive/ aggressive, sarcastic shtick. That's why I am selective when responding to you.
You seem smart enough to form a complete sentence that conveys some kind of thought pattern but are having extreme difficulty getting over that hump of monotony that plagues so many of our discussions.

Then there's this whole wall of text you erect in response that completely misses the point altogether.
Heh. :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 07:51:42 pm by Battle »

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2017, 04:09:39 pm »
TFA was lazy as f*ck.

The only reason it has any substance and is still talked about is all the "mystery" aka sh*t they didnt bother explaining.

I think clone wars, rebels, and the comics are the best thing to come out of star wars imo.

I liked Rogue One though the first half was a little slow. And it was a darker film than I was anticipating. This film presented the most morally gray heroes I've seen thus far in a Star Wars film. Lucas tried to pull that off in the prequels but he just didn't have the skills, and perhaps the inclination, to show Anakin in a gray zone. Lucas just had to have go the kid route in Episode I and he didn't know how to take a character from innocent child to mass murdering adult in an organic, rational way.

I do think Rogue One did have some balls. I loved the Vader scene toward the end, though it's not as impressive upon repeated viewing.

I'm also a fan of the comics (both Dark Horse and Marvel), fan of Clone Wars and Rebels has grown on me. I also liked some of the pre-Disney Star Wars novels. It appears I'm one of the few people who liked the New Jedi Order series and the Yuuzhan Vong.

I liked many of the ideas in tge cartoons and comics surrounding force sensitives. And many of the characters introduced there.

And in am just talking the current canon stuff too. Not even tge old EU.

Thats why TFA just felt so... bland.  Instead of going places the cartoons and comics went.. it just did an updated remake

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2017, 03:01:43 am »
Wow,

You went Biblical on me huh?

Now, you're impressed? ;D

That verse I quoted describes why Finn & Rey won this victory.

It's survival of the fittest that wins victories, not flagrant displays of perceived power.

See, arguing with you isn't even a chore or a challenge. Arguing with you is an opportunity  (for all the world to see) to point out your glaring descrepancies.
In some of your sentences you are able to make points and substantiate them, in other parts of your sentences you get lost in this whole passive/ aggressive, sarcastic shtick. That's why I am selective when responding to you.
You seem smart enough to form a complete sentence that conveys some kind of thought pattern but are having extreme difficulty getting over that hump of monotony that plagues so many of our discussions.

Then there's this whole wall of text you erect in response that completely misses the point altogether.
Heh. :)

Wow, Battle, way to be very condescending here. Since you opened the door I'm going to walk on in.

Me pointing out your resorting to the Bible was not praise. It was sarcasm, or as you might accuse, me being passive/aggressive. You are selective in your responses because you can't, and really never have in all of our exchanges, effectively rebutted a lot of what I say so you move on to something else or simply restate your arguments.

You pick and choose because you know you can't really argue with a lot of what I'm saying. And you're too prideful to admit that you're stumped and that maybe it's you that can take some of our conversations as an opportunity to learn. I've brought 'receipts' in this conversation alone which counters or straight up exposes some of your arguments, but you won't acknowledge that, you are too committed to your personal view of Finn, just like you have been to your personal view of Hillary, etc. For you it's a matter of belief, and the facts be damned if they contradict those beliefs.

I don't think you even know what survival of the fittest means. Finn was in a coma at the end of TFA. Both Rey and Ren were still conscious. Rey defeated Ren but she was also helped by the cracking up of the planet as well which prevented Ren from continuing the fight. Rey is the uber Force user in this new round of the saga so she would fit the definition of the fittest. And it remains to be seen if Ren will, but he certainly has been over Finn. Ren took a bowcaster blast and was still able to be on his feet and defeat Finn and was in the fight for a minute with Rey, that's not 'perceived' power. Catching a blaster bolt in midair is not 'perceived'. He did that.

Don't get mad at me because you have a short attention span or poor reading comprehension and can't read my responses. It's very immature and petty to insult me or even argue if you don't even read or understand what I've written. Also don't tell me how much I can write on any subject. I lay out the fullness of my arguments so that I am satisfied that I have made my point. I don't think it's the 'wall of text' that bother you so much as you can't refute my arguments so you resort to condescension.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:15:01 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2017, 03:12:56 am »
TFA was lazy as f*ck.

I liked many of the ideas in tge cartoons and comics surrounding force sensitives. And many of the characters introduced there.

Thats why TFA just felt so... bland.  Instead of going places the cartoons and comics went.. it just did an updated remake

I can buy the argument that Disney might have been very cautious about TFA and wanted to go with a tried and true Star Wars story (essentially a remake of ANH) their first time  out. But to me, Star Wars is the franchise to take risks on. It has a global audience, with thousands at the least, who are used to an expansion of the universe via the cartoons, novels, comics, or video games. So I think Star Wars fans are very open to seeing new stories, different stories set in in the Star Wars universe.

I think Disney was overcautious and TFA lacked ambition and vision. Perhaps Disney was counting on the new diversity of the leads to paper over the unoriginal story in TFA but that only went so far IMO.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2017, 04:15:34 am »
>>>emperorjones

Just what I expected...
---Wall Of Text.  ;D

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2017, 04:44:25 am »
TFA was lazy as f*ck.

I can buy the argument that Disney might have been very cautious about TFA and wanted to go with a tried and true Star Wars story (essentially a remake of ANH) their first time  out. But to me, Star Wars is the franchise to take risks on. It has a global audience, with thousands at the least, who are used to an expansion of the universe via the cartoons, novels, comics, or video games. So I think Star Wars fans are very open to seeing new stories, different stories set in in the Star Wars universe.

I think Disney was overcautious and TFA lacked ambition and vision. Perhaps Disney was counting on the new diversity of the leads to paper over the unoriginal story in TFA but that only went so far IMO.

And then Disney went the complete other way with Rogue One. It was anything but safe.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2017, 03:14:42 pm »
>>>emperorjones

Just what I expected...
---Wall Of Text.  ;D

Not surprised that you have no real reply so you go with an insult. Or what you think is an insult.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2017, 03:16:39 pm »
TFA was lazy as f*ck.

And then Disney went the complete other way with Rogue One. It was anything but safe.

I think it was safe in a sense that it was merely filling in a blank part of a history that we already knew the outcome of. But since we already knew what happened to the Death Star it did allow them to take risks with the characters. And it was unexpected that they would bring Tarkin back and he play such a large role in the film.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2017, 02:51:40 am »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/08/31/in-fake-star-wars-news-john-boyegas-dancing-offended-just-one-person/#4c403c2c3282

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-star-john-boyega-defends-carnival-grinding-1033941

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/31/fans-possessive-john-boyega/

http://www.buzzfeed.com/morganmurrell/john-boyega-dancing-notting-hill-carnival-london?utm_term=.haVoAXPXq#.uvJKYjEjD

From what I saw, Boyega was not 'sexually aggressive' as the Forbes article, which was defending him, described. The dancer was backing it up into him. If anything, she was more aggressive than Boyega in that clip he himself posted. And the Bleeding Cool article makes it seem like actors don't have sex with their co-stars (Brad and Angelina hello?), but what I really think creeps the Bleeding Cool guy out is the idea of a black man and a white woman. And that fear of black male heterosexuality, the fear of black men, is at the root of this fake outrage over Boyega having fun as a young man in his 20s.

Boyega is lucky that the dancer was also black. If she had been white, there might have been more of a social media and mainstream media rush to paint him as a sexual offender.

Black male sexuality is still threatening to some white people, and that goes back to The Force Awakens, where I think that fear shaped how Rey and Finn interacted.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2017, 09:20:13 am »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2017, 07:18:05 pm »
It's only news in that it shows how susceptible the media, or rather, the internet is to social media, in this case, one dude who saw something he didn't like, posted about it, and started a mini-whirlwind when news outlets started jumping on the story and making it into 'something'.

Thanks for posting about the Death Star.  It bothers me that Disney scrapped the old continuity from the books and comics which at least offered different kinds of super-weapons and not just redoing the Death Star over and over. And they presented different enemies like the Yuuzhan Vong (which I think would've been pretty cool to see in live-action and more in fitting with the sequels darker and dreary take on our heroes) or at least different takes on the Sith like the One Sith or the Lost Tribe of Sith instead of Ren's whiny Vader wannabe. I would've even rather seen Abeloth than Ren or Snoke at this point. Jacen Solo, even when they screwed him up as Caedus, still was more interesting than Ren thus far.

I wonder when people are going to see the new sequels as just being a knock off the the original trilogy, but just with less interesting characters? I'll keep saying it, but at least the prequels were different-poorly executed-but still they were different enough to stand out from the original series and add to it. It remains to be seen what, if anything, the new sequels will add to the overall saga that is different or new. Right now, the best thing I can see them saying they've added is more diversity, and even that is questionable. I will give them that they've created a new trilogy around characters who are not white males, but as for how much development Finn, Poe, and soon to be Rose, will get remains to be seen.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2017, 07:40:32 am »
One thing people can't complain about the Prequels--no Death Star.

I get repeating it.  One could wonder why villains don't repeat a scheme that almost worked, but once in Return makes sense.  This screams a lack of imagination!

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2017, 08:58:48 am »
I am only a semi serious star wars fan, so msybe my opinion doesn't matter

But... arent the force sensitives the main "draw" of the sw franchise? Especially since the special effects and "omg space!" Isnt exactly special anymore.

So why articially limit them?

Even the rebels cartoon keep adding more and more jedi and dark users. But tge movies play it uber safe. Why? Have to maje the 4 billion back asap?