Author Topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)  (Read 63253 times)

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)
« Reply #272 on: January 24, 2018, 04:24:52 pm »
Saw it once and it was ok but not what I would go see again.  None of the characters were treated with much care or depth and it has lost its magic.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 24, 2018, 04:46:21 pm »
Saw it once and it was ok but not what I would go see again.  None of the characters were treated with much care or depth and it has lost its magic.

Definitely can relate to that. I saw it twice, but that is usually a given for me when it comes to Star Wars. I do think the new films have lost the magic of the Lucas films, even the prequels. The Hollywood media and the film's online backers can spin it and defend the 'bold' choices made but I think TLJ left the franchise overall in a weaker position. The box office was strong regardless but we'll see how it is in several more years. There's one flesh and blood person I know who liked it but it wasn't like he was going gaga over it. I think he only saw it once, but I'm not certain on that.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #275 on: January 25, 2018, 05:48:26 am »

Definitely can relate to that. I saw it twice, but that is usually a given for me when it comes to Star Wars. I do think the new films have lost the magic of the Lucas films, even the prequels. The Hollywood media and the film's online backers can spin it and defend the 'bold' choices made but I think TLJ left the franchise overall in a weaker position. The box office was strong regardless but we'll see how it is in several more years. There's one flesh and blood person I know who liked it but it wasn't like he was going gaga over it. I think he only saw it once, but I'm not certain on that.

my white female coworker loves everything Rey and thinks Kylo is hot.

She didn't like what they did without any of the old characters (esp that Fischer is dead in real life now) but she is still all about it because of Rey

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 25, 2018, 06:30:31 am »
I can get that. Rey is a symbol for some of white female power and agency. I don't think she works as a character personally, but sometimes that doesn't matter so much as what Rey represents. As a 40 plus black man Rey's representational power or importance has almost a zero hold on me, but I have to keep in mind that different people see and receive Rey and the other characters perhaps differently, though I can't see blacks and Latinos going gaga over Finn and Poe, though I could be wrong in that as well.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #277 on: January 25, 2018, 06:38:52 am »
I think Poe is going to have an interesting character arc.

Fly boy to arrogant fool (thats still great at flying) to what will likely be a leadership position next movie (everyone else is dead lol) where he "learned from Laea and Purple Hair lady

Now finn... I got nothing for Finn. IDK what you even do with him now but w/e

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 04:01:59 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 30, 2018, 05:33:04 am »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/01/28/why-star-wars-the-last-jedi-with-just-1-3b-worldwide-is-still-a-win-for-disney/#20368057f2d3

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/01/29/star-wars-the-last-jedi-10-best-moments/#5

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/01/29/star-wars-legends-characters-join-canon-movies-tv/#4

Interesting choices there for who to pull from the EU to bring into the new films/Star Wars canon.

Unfortunately I don't think most of these choices work. Jaina and Jacen are already there, to some extent with Ren and Rey. How Luke and his Jedi Academy were handled messes up  bringing in Lowbacca, unless they put him in future films under Rey's tutelage perhaps (though they could do a film set between Episodes 6 and 7). I also think that's a problem with Mara Jade as well. How TLJ handled Luke makes it hard to bring Mara Jade in as the wife of Luke, unless she left him after Ben Solo's betrayal. Mara could be the Jedi master that does properly train Rey, but that raises questions about why she left Luke and why she wasn't pursuing him all this time. I think not including Galen Marek, and more importantly Sam Witwer who voiced him and is the likeness for the character, was a missed opportunity. He's put in work for Star Wars, voicing Darth Maul for example, and would've made for a more credible villain than what we've gotten. If Marek (the Dark Apprentice clone version) was Snoke I would be okay with that. Marek is like the dark son of Vader, the spurned son perhaps.  He's incredibly powerful in the Force but isn't a Sith. He was around during the time of the Empire so that checks that box, and since he's not a Sith that would explain why Ben Solo isn't a Sith either. Marek has some training but not complete. And he is a Vader devotee who would have intimate knowledge of Vader to lure Solo to his side.

Characters like Revan, Nihilus, Satele Shan are all Old Republic and I don't see them fitting into the current trilogy. Now one set in the Old Republic era, sure. But unless Nihilus, Shan, and Revan are extremely long-lived I don't see them showing up in Episode 9. It would be great to see Nihilus and Revan though because stronger enemies are needed.

What EU/canon characters I would like to see in live-action:
Darth Plagueis, Mara Jade, Quinlan Vos, Lumiya, Asajj Ventress, Ahsoka Tano, Ben Skywalker, Anakin Solo, Yuuzhan Vong, Jahan Cross, Vergere, Exar Kun, Kir Kanos, Carnor Jax, Vestara Khai, Lost Tribe of Sith, Borsk Fey'lya, One Sith, Darth Krayt, Darth Bane, Darth Zannah, Darth Cognus, Darth Tenebrous, Galen Marek, Dace Diath, Darth Malgus, Darth Vitiate, Dician, Zayne Carrick, Maris Brood, Jolee Bindo, K'Kruhk, Durge, Joruus C'baoth, Dash Rendar, Xizor, Ganner Rhysode, Saes Rrogon, Eldra Kaitis, Alema Rar, Saba Sebatyne, Darsha Assant, Vornskr,  Palpatine Clone (Dark Empire).

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 05:36:12 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #284 on: March 15, 2018, 05:13:17 am »
So apparently, the new Star Wars novel says that Rey was able to fight those red guards so well because she absorbed the knowledge from Kylo when they did the force bond thing.

That.... has got to be the laziest bit of writing I have ever seen. And is also completely nonsensical... if that was a force power, Jedi and siths would have been doing it for generations. You cut out all the damn training.

In other news, some threads are saying that TLJ toys selling so poorly is what lead to ToysRUs to go from "closing few stores" to "liquidate everything."

I will be really curious to see what happens after Episode IX. Some of the outrage with TLJ seems like typical fan sh*t, but the failure in China, failure in toys... something feels off.