Author Topic: Fate of the Furious (The Fast and The Furious 8)  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Fate of the Furious (The Fast and The Furious 8)
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 03:44:15 pm »
We've been watching them On Demand on Direct TV.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 12:09:25 am »
Imma have to hunt down fast 5 and onwards i guess. Maybe redbox has them

Last week Best Buy had them on sale. I picked up the ones I didn't have last week so I could watch the series. Walmart also has them either in a collection or divided up in packs or solo. I don't know how much you want to spend on them though. The 7-film collections run about 40 dollars or more on Blu-Ray or DVD.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 12:16:36 am »
The Mission movies were never really about the team concept like the series were.  The FF movies are all about team....or family, as Dom says it.  Yes, they are now Bond films, but with a multi-ethnic cast and more jokes.  It will be interesting to see how the Bond films try and respond.

I agree about the Mission films, though they did pay some homage to the team concept roots of the series. And I do think that after Rogue Nation they might have a team finally in place. I had read that they had wanted Paula Patton back, from Ghost Protocol, but she had a scheduling conflict, so even a few years ago I think the Mission folks were starting to realize that building up a team for audiences to bond with and follow was on their minds. But yeah, the Mission films were all about being a vehicle for Tom Cruise. But as the series goes on hopefully Cruise and the other creators will invest more in the team concept because I think they've got the makings of a good team now. Though I hope they do bring back both Maggie Q and Paula Patton at some point.

As for Bond, I think they have started building a team around Daniel Craig, but because Craig seemingly wants out of the franchise it might wind up being a case of too little too late for the team concept with his Bond. I'm assuming that they might just get rid of the Craig-Bond supporting characters once Bond is gone. Then again, maybe not. I mean the original Q stayed on. I don't know enough about the Bond film history to know if M and Moneypenny from the old films continued through the various Bonds. I know that Judi Dench continued as M from Brosnan to Craig. So maybe if they build up a supporting team with nice chemistry it will transfer over for the next Bond actor.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Friends of the JLI
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 09:57:57 pm »
Han is alive and will be back in the next film. How? Well, Cipher forced Deckard Shaw'a hand. But Shaw, secretly a stand up guy, hid Han away and convinced Cipher that he is dead. He's really been chillin with Gisele, who somehow didn't die when she fell off the plane. Since they're both alive, Deckard and Owen Shaw can join the group and officially become part of the family.

Sounds ridiculous...and totally plausible in the Fast Universe.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 01:46:55 am »
Yeah. I mean we didn't see bodies for Han or Gisele. And we have seen that Letty 'died' before as well.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I'm assuming that Elena is actually dead since we see Dom actually witness that.
But for the others, all bets are off.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 06:16:39 am »
yes, you could resurrect them.  but then you have too many heroes. 

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 03:32:55 pm »
The growing size of the cast is a problem. So far they've made it work but perhaps going forward they are going to have to start paring it down or rotating characters. A spin off or two would help with the problem but that might led to diluting the main brand. I think Fast Five was such a hit they've just been replicating that, which is fine for me. However even that idea can get old. One of the things that made it work was because they hadn't done it before. But now its the standard thing for each movie.

In the first four movies the group concept wasn't strong or even that existent in 2Fast2Furious, Tokyo Drift, and arguably Fast and Furious. However I have noticed that the films have always had cameos and bridging/connecting characters, like the black FBI agent in the first and second films or O'Connor's dickish FBI colleague in movies four and seven. And then there's the recurring Reggaeton stars who show up every now and then, recognizable, get a few lines, but aren't as prominently featured.

As much as I like the Rock and Statham, from a story standpoint I would like to see a story without them, though it seems now each film will present a challenge so big that they will need everyone.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Friends of the JLI
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 08:12:31 pm »
The question is - what big baddy or event will pop up to force Cipher to join forces with our heroes

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 01:03:41 am »
^
I'm guessing one of the next two movies will be based in China and if not have a Chinese antagonist, perhaps a new member of the team or a prominent supporting member. There are still villains left from previous films that are out there: 2Fast2Furious's drug lord, Tokyo Drift's wannabe gangster. I can't remember if Braga is still alive or not. And they could also take someone from whatever organizations Jakande, Owen Shaw, or Reyes left behind.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mr. Nobody as a villain. He's already in the gray zone.

http://www.cbr.com/fast-and-furious-9-vin-diesel-dwayne-johnson/

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Friends of the JLI
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 04:31:27 am »
I forgot to mention this, but it is freaky how much Scott Eastwood looks like Clint.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 09:39:13 pm »
I forgot to mention this, but it is freaky how much Scott Eastwood looks like Clint.
Spot on.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2017, 06:02:24 pm »
Okay, dammit.  What I want to know is....
How does Deckard Shaw get nominally brought onto "the team" when he was retconned as being responsible for Han's death?  Booooo.....  >:(

This is Empire - level forgetful of a previous subplot.

Ah well.  I enjoyed this craziness, regardless.

Hobbs and Shaw's escape from the prison was intense, though I figured it was rigged.

The Cuba sequence was beautiful.  Makes me even more aggravated that I don't have a snowball's chance of going myself and introducing myself to as many women as possible.

Is there anything that Tej can't gadget his way out of?  Heh.

I wonder how much CGI and how many real cars got used and trashed in the NYC cavalcade sequence.  I suppose this probably doesn't do much for convincing people that automatic-driving cars are a good thing.  ;)

I don't suppose there's any point in thinking about the people who were maimed and/or possibly "killed" during Dom's heel-turn activities.  Doesn't really count when you're brainwashed, right?   :P

Helen Mirren?  Um, oh-kay.... just what is her character's backstory?  British Mafia?  I guess we'll find out next time?  I guess Owen Shaw will be back, too.  Eh.. I'm a little weary of the Juggernauting of the bad buys in the saga.  Bah... (did I just coin a word? Hmm..)

So is Hobbs married? His daughter's mom never comes up.  I guess it doesn't matter.  So was that Samoan war chant authentic?

Elsa Pataky, at least I still have part 5 & 6 to admire you in... sigh..

A gunfight with a baby in tow?  What the blue $&!%...

The submarine chase/climax was worth forgiving the goofy ways that people got out of trouble.  Roman's damn near bulletproof, it seems, or all the goons were terribly bad shots on the open ice...  ;)

Hopefully the next one will start filming ASAP.

So I guess Kurt Russell's Nobody is the "M" figure from now on, eh?  I guess Scott Eastwood will be "brought up to speed" with the rest of the guys by next movie and become more of a co-partner and more heroic.  At the risk of being inflammatory, I can see the studio wanting a youngish white guy to be more in the mix after Walker's passing.

Still wish Paul Walker was still here, but it's fair enough that Brian and Mia are 'retired' from the saga..

Next time, more Nathalie Emanuel, please.  Much, much more.   Please.  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2017, 06:32:28 am »
The chronological order of the FF movies is 1, 2,4,5,6,3(!),7 and then the new one.

Haven't seen the new one yet.

Wondering how they are gonna convince the gang to work with Jason Statham when he killed Han 2 movies ago.

Good question about Statham. I hadn't fully considered that until I heard a reviewer mention it, and after I've gone back and relooked at six and seven, especially seven, yeah it should be very hard for them to accept Statham. I will tell you that Han's murder is not forgotten in Fate.

In Fate it is brought up mainly by Letty and then dropped. My memory is failing but I don't think the rest of the team was happy to see him either. The Rock definitely wasn't. Fate goes into overdrive (pun intended) to redeem Statham's character. He and The Rock start off jaw jacking and flexing with each other but are joking by the end of it once it's revealed that Statham was likely framed like The Rock had been in Fate. Also Statham saves Ramsey in Fate, where I think he put her in danger at least once, but probably numerous times in Furious 7. The best scene though with Statham is his airplane rescue of Vin's child. That really showed off Statham's action and comedy skills and made him endearing to the audience. As did the interaction between him and his mother, played by Helen Mirren. The even neater trick is that Fate has sort of redeemed his brother, played by Luke Evans. Evans was an even colder piece of work than Statham was. At least Statham was avenging a brother, something Vin could relate to. Evans was just a cold professional, the dark mirror of Vin, who disparaged the idea of family. I think the rescue of Vin's son will patch things over for Vin. Plus, the franchise likes turning bad guys into good guys, or rather enemies into friends.

I do think it will be interesting going forward to see how they incorporate Statham. The way the film ended, both he and The Rock could move on. There was enough closure to me for their arcs. One thing that might completely redeem Statham if they do wish to have him continue in the franchise and join the team is to have Han survive. I'm not so certain now that Han is dead. We see him in the crashed car, we see it explode, and they say Han is dead. But we don't see a body. We were led to believe that Letty was dead as well before. I could see them bringing Han back, perhaps as a villain. Not in the next film, but maybe the tenth.

Turns out there WAS supposed to be an end credits scene that addressed some of the stuff you mentioned but it was nixed by
Disel (turns out it was filed without his knowledge, which hints at a behind the scenes power struggle). I saw the movie (I did really like it, BTW) and that scene felt missing to me even though I didn't know about if for sure 'til this morning.

What cracks me up about the Furious movies it that apparently it doesn't matter what you do to Cops or Soldiers or innocent bystanders, if you are cool with Dom's family you are a good guy by default.

The way these work, is if say, Charlise Theron's character were to take a bullet for Letty in Fast 10 and survive, all the stuff she did in THIS movie would be forgiven.

Offline BPStorm4ever

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2017, 05:41:04 pm »
At this point,
Elena
will now be the token death that sticks, everyone else, including Han, can come back. Han will probably pop up as a brainwashed villain in the next one.

I enjoyed this a lot. Its a great big cartoon at this point, but still, a lot of fun. Loved the "zombie car" sequence.

How I'd rank them? I think each is progressively better than the last, but 4 had the best stand up and start clapping ending, IMO.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

"T'Challa and Ororo - now black AND f*cking!" - Hudlin