Author Topic: Hey dad I want to write Comics.  (Read 1300 times)

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Hey dad I want to write Comics.
« on: February 13, 2007, 11:26:23 am »
Umm son, why don't you try for something a little more realistic like being an astronaut. We have had more black men in outer space then we have had write comics for the big two. Seriously though I was trying to find McDuffie's back ground info because I could have sworn somewhere that I read he went to school to be an engineer or something and I wanted to see if my hunch of a pseudo scientific background was correct. Could not find the info anywhere but he did go to the university of Michigan for both his undergrad and graduate degrees. So while looking at his site for that I thought to myself damn, Reg is an Ivy leaguer, Kevin Grevioux who will write the new warriors is a former scientist and McDuffie has a strong educational background, I guess you really have to be either highly educated, smart as all get out, highly determined or all of the above in order to write comics for the major companies. Our boy Redjack is no slouch either so maybe we need to rethink our notion of what it means to be involved in the "funny book" business.

On another note, talk about having to be bigger and better. Is it just a coincidence that these brothers are this sharp or does it come with the territory. I don't feel like doing a wiki on every marvel or DC talent but I doubt every writer they have has such a high level of accomplishment as these guys.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
Re: Hey dad I want to write Comics.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 03:19:04 pm »
...So while looking at his site for that I thought to myself damn, Reg is an Ivy leaguer, Kevin Grevioux who will write the new warriors is a former scientist and McDuffie has a strong educational background, I guess you really have to be either highly educated, smart as all get out, highly determined or all of the above in order to write comics for the major companies.

Truth be told, isn't like this in any industry that blacks work in in order to advance. How many times have many of us heard that you have to be twice as good as the non-black guy in order to get the job even if in some cases you are over qualified for it?