Author Topic: Landing Upright  (Read 328 times)

Offline Gessela

• View Profile
    • Gessela Studios
Landing Upright
« on: April 19, 2020, 07:45:17 am »
Landing Upright
After watching all of the animated versions of Black Panther I could find, I noticed he gets knocked off his feet way too often. Getting hit is one thing, but being flung or blasted to the ground is very un-catlike. Not only is falling on oneís ass un-catlike, itís also not typical of someone trained in the various martial arts (think capoeira). I realize his power set states acute senses with superhuman agility and reflexes, but perhaps the animators need explicit detail to express this in-action.

A possible solution (to be written is his permanent power set): TíChallaís vestibular apparatus has been altered by the vibranium mutated heart-shaped herb, resulting in him having an enhanced labyrinthine righting reflex. Plainly stated, even when The Panther gets struck, heíll more than likely land upright.

I donít recall it having been so, but let me know if this has been addressed here or in the comics.
ግሥላ = Panther

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Landing Upright
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 07:48:28 am »
That the combat style of most Disney+ Marvel cartoons. They like the characters to be tossed around in their action sets. It's not exclusive to BP.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Gessela

• View Profile
    • Gessela Studios
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 06:28:52 am »
That the combat style of most Disney+ Marvel cartoons. They like the characters to be tossed around in their action sets. It's not exclusive to BP.

You're right, and focusing on Panther probably caused me to overanalyze. It still would be nice to see in the future, especially for characters like Panther, Spiderman, and Dare-Devil (either Animation & MCU).
ግሥላ = Panther

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 01:23:05 pm »
Landing Upright
After watching all of the animated versions of Black Panther I could find, I noticed he gets knocked off his feet way too often. Getting hit is one thing, but being flung or blasted to the ground is very un-catlike. Not only is falling on oneís ass un-catlike, itís also not typical of someone trained in the various martial arts (think capoeira). I realize his power set states acute senses with superhuman agility and reflexes, but perhaps the animators need explicit detail to express this in-action.

A possible solution (to be written is his permanent power set): TíChallaís vestibular apparatus has been altered by the vibranium mutated heart-shaped herb, resulting in him having an enhanced labyrinthine righting reflex. Plainly stated, even when The Panther gets struck, heíll more than likely land upright.

I donít recall it having been so, but let me know if this has been addressed here or in the comics.

My brother, imo you're very correct. T'Challa's incidence of NOT landing on his feet should be an extremely low frequency happening. A frequency of happenstance faaarr less often than Peter Parker's incidence of NOT sticking to walls [ which itself is almost never ]. Furthermore in the graphic novel PANTHER'S PREY, Don McGregor specified that T'Challa's uncanny movement was the result in part of the Heart Shaped Herb poultice amplifying his Kinesthetic Sense to such an extent that he leaps, grabs, lands, etc almost entirely without error. That's how he knows exactly where a tree limb, an opponent's gun or leg, a door, a bomb, a trap, etc is...exactly precisely and without error where it is...all the time. This Kinesthetic Sense which faultlessly lets us know how to touch our nose, our ear lobes or any other body part we have even with our eyes closed and even without sound to guide us is projected by T'Challa to every object and thing in T'Challa's vicinity.

I would modify this explanation and put T'Challa's ability to do this squarely within the many extremely rigorous lifelong disciplines created and innovated by Wakanda even prior to the challenges required by The Panther Rites.

In short, if T'Challa is conscious? He lands on his feet, or lands in some other way that he deliberately selected [ using unique and exceptional acrobatics and/or maneuvers the likes of which we find in Kipura miscalled by the Portuguese in their language by the name of "Capoeira" ]. Due to the extremely vaunted combination of his hypersenses, his extremely hyper intelligence-shrewdness-cunning-intuition, the experience skills and talents he's gained from the combination of life lessons from all of the previous Black Panthers [KING OF THE DEAD style which is in essence an amplification of the abilities he already had as BLACK PANTHER and which helps to explain Shuri's similar but lesser level of dominance over other superhumans as she has access to the spirits of all previous BLACK PANTHERS via her spiritual connection to them which allows her to commune with and consult them which she gained as one of the unique benefits bestowed on all Panthers via The Panther Rites but she DOESN'T have the ability to actually BECOME them as T'Challa does via his KING OF THE DEAD ability ], his unmatched and unsurpassed hyperprep skills, his peak human physicality, his omnipresent quasi cosmic level Ka-Tech, etc? T'Challa essentially NEVER gets smashed by, into or onto stuff...
...unless he's pulling a PRIEST or a Maestro McDuffie [ may he RIP ] and he's PRETENDING to be hurt, damaged, off balance, etc as part of his on the spot genius misdirection and manipulation of the mindsets of his opponents. Like Priest said he would have done with Batman [ he would let Batman "win" their fight so T'Challa could do what he really planned to do ] and like he tried with The Silver Surfer under McDuffie's pen:

Once again...T'Challa doesn't need to be "superhuman" in order to do this. This rush to make T'Challa and Captain America etc "superhuman" is imo lazy writing. One should stick to the "limitations" of being "merely PEAK human" when writing T'Challa. This "limitation" makes T'Challa's successes even MORE staggering, and requires much more from the writer and artists in terms of imagination, creativity, innovation, etc. in order to explain T'Challa's unbroken streak of dominant victories over blatantly superhuman beings. Again...making T'Challa and/or Captain America "superhuman" forever makes Batman cooler than both of them, as The Bat achieves unambiguous victories over superhuman adversaries so regularly that he's expected to lose [ or find some slick last minute way to win that WOWS readers ] only when he's solo and without prep facing beings of overwhelming cosmic power like Darkseid, but Batman does all of this while remaining "only" peak human.

Once again...the lower tiers of extraordinary strength levels that we now consider to be "superhuman" are in fact "peak human". We all know that a hyperadrenalized state allows regular people to temporarily perform feats of super strength, like lifting cars off of family members. Fighting off bears barehanded when they threaten your children. Etc. Imo characters like T'Challa, Steve Rogers, and to lesser extent Matt Murdock, Shuri, Elektra, Natasha Romanoff, etc have a baseline that equates to our "hyperadrenalized state" so that these worthies are ALWAYS operating from this extraordinary place. In T'Challa's case? He's distinctly unique and separate from all of the above because EVERY FACET OF HIS MIND AND BODY OPERATES FROM THE HIGHEST LEVELS OF "PEAK HUMAN" ABILITY IN THIS RAREIFIED PLACE SIMULTANEOUSLY. A PLACE OCCUPIED EXCLUSIVELY BY HIM. This is the T'Challa that I would write. He's essentially the same T'Challa that Reginald Hudlin+CJP+McDuffie wrote, with McGregor's speed stealth acrobatics and caste of characters, Maberry's Shadow Physics, strength level and runes+Hickman's KING OF THE DEAD enhancements still in full affect. I would ensure that all of T'Challa's feats were explained by the combo of power sets above, and ensure that T'Challa rocks with a more thoroughly scripted base level description of his physical,mental, spiritual, psi [ remember that T'Challa used to read minds and had ESP back in the day ] , ka, etc abilities. This explanation would make very clear that even buck nekkid and soaking wet, T'Challa would easily hand most of the 616 MU their gluteus maximuses.

Shuri and Doc Sampson do something similar to T'Challa, but on a lesser performance level...especially in Doc Sampson's case. Shuri outperforms Doc Sampson across the board, and what distinguishes her from T'Challa is that she's superior to T'Challa in devising pure tech based innovations; she's superior to both Valeria and Reed Richards too. However, T'Challa outperforms Shuri whenever a combination of skills knowledge etc is required; so while T'Challa must now concede the "pure tech" crown to Shuri? He doesn't concede anything else; like the fusion of ka and tech. The Black Widow Natasha and Elektra also do these things but on a level lesser than Doc Sampson, except in espionage and hand to hand combat.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:28:30 pm by supreme illuminati »
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Gessela

• View Profile
    • Gessela Studios
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 06:16:34 am »
Appreciate the insight Supreme, I'll go back an check out Panther's Prey.
ግሥላ = Panther

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 02:46:30 pm »
Appreciate the insight Supreme, I'll go back an check out Panther's Prey.

Panther's Prey is a solid example of Don's work. The prose is lyrical evocative and compelling, the art by our brutha Turner has a powerful paint brush feel. The material is adult without being in any way profane, and features actually appropriate and beautiful sex scenes with Monica Lynne. However, T'Challa doesn't display what should have been his automatic and absolutely consistent dominant physical combat skills...a major. Major. Major turn off and a waaaayyyy too consistent feature...nearly bedrock...of McGregor's T'Challa. Panther's Prey T'Challa DOES however display his speed, acrobatic agility...and ever droning philosophical discourse. The villain is a visually striking choice, his character qualities sharply drawn. He was interesting and very smart. A modern writer could make him a very interesting and compelling opponent...a villainous Hawkman to T'Challa's Batman. Hmmmm...
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw