Poll

Should the MCU Recast T'Challa the Black Panther

Yes, for an actor who will further the Black Panther tradition started by Chadwick Boseman
7 (87.5%)
No, because there is no MCU Black Panther without Chadwick Boseman.
0 (0%)
Too soon for me to say.
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: New! Black Panther Legends #2 Plus #3 synopsis and cover!  (Read 50531 times)

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
For kid's cartoons? Yeah it's going to be a hard time. When you have a more mature audience you can get away with it a little better. But Thor vs Hela he was getting his ass beat, and if your talking about DC movie's (I don't really watch DC animation so I can't say) in Suicide squad o believe Batman simply punched Harley once to knock her out then rescued her and took her to jail since she was on a sinking car and he needed to successfully rescue her without both of them drowning.

But of you watch kid cartoons, especially the Avengers ones, you mostly will notice how female characters don't get straight clocked in most cases by male characters. It's like EMH when T'Challa only fighting the Avengers. Wasps doesn't get hit at all, by T'Challa but everyone else save Cap does.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Batman the animated series got around it by saying that it happened, but no showing it on screen. Or implying it happened when Harley left the frame.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Yeah, I don't care for this deal that hunter is getting the one up over T'Challa, especially if they are shortening the age gap between them and making hunter only 5 years older. It doesn't bode well, what been shown on the preview so far, hunter getting the one up on T'Challa, T'Chaka being the one who's pushing the opening of Wakanda instead of T'Challa. Don't like these retcons

I concur. It seems that where T'Challa the Black Panther is concerned there is too often some kind of trepidation with regards to letting him be his best self.

That's in most fiction. The difference I think with Priest and Hudlin, is that their highs are so memorable that the lows can be easily forgotten. So when other writers tell avenger stories using the same formula, it's more obvious. Also writers think it's a more compelling story if they show other people getting the best of the main character until the end. The problem is most don't write good endings(something that is already difficult to pull off)so it seems like the entire story was a waste. And I tend to give leeway if the book isn't the main characters. I'd expect for Black Cat to get the best of Spider-Man in her book even though I know it would go differently in his.

Panthers Quest did a lot of people getting the better if Tchalla and the ending was uninspired.

Even Game if Thrones is average until the second to last episode of the season. That's when it hits the fan and all the previous episodes become valuable. Especially on rewatch, because you already know what each step is leading up to. They just keep people entertained with nudity and gore until then. Lol

I disagree slightly, In PQ, Redjack made villains more formidable, but none really got the better of T'Challa straight up. Especially not Hunter. All except for 3 and all 3 have reason: Winter Soldier, Zanda, and Bask. WS won because T'Challa needed to one locate Klaw, and two, WS was getting reckless and despite being a hero he was willing to potentially kill innocent people to take down T'Challa. Hence why in round 2 T'Challa beat both his and Tony's asses simultaneously in their tag team against him because there wasn't innocents or information to gain so he could focus on defeating them and getting back to Wakanda.

Zanda and Bask both have the same "problem" T'Challa must face for both of them. That is them being female. In a kids show, you bet your ass they are not going to shoe a male character beating down a female characters as it will appear to promote violence against women. That's why in the episode where T'Challa team's up with Kamala and Zanda appears and is getting worked, it was obvious to me (Which I even pointed out to Redjack) that T'Challa wasn't actually fighting Zanda, Redjack said she was a superior fighter, but it only appeared that way because of you watch, T'Challa is using more throws and grapples to subdue Zanda rather than actually fighting like we see all thoughout the other episodes against male characters. And Which why Kamala handily bests her is because she is female.

You can have female characters beat the brakes off female characters AND makes characters, you cannot do the same for male characters. This also happens when T'Challa and Shuri are trying to escape as well, CM and Kamala  get outsmarted and beaten by the WK siblings and T'Challa doesn't really throw any punches, but Shuri does.

The ending was uninspired and Redjack made a unfortunate mistake making Bask female instead of  Bashenga having a brother. It was a no win situation for T'Challa because of that since he has no way of beating her when she challenged for the throne outside of getting her to yield via submission while she is straight going for the kill, it's Zanda all over again except this time he doesn't have a female character to throw the punches for him.

Throughout the series though T'Challa got many solid wins. Some characters he usually easily beats were tougher and that's fine because your don't want the hero just moonwalking over everyone, and they were scaled UP rather than T'Challa being nerfed. It's just Bask being the big bad at the end was the biggest mistake.

I didn't mean fighting, I meant in the same ways as shown in the previews. Most of them being losing the long game. Gathering the objects just to lose them in CD the end, putting Zemo in a good position only for him to betray later. The Inhuman episode was avoidable if he hadn't gone looking for it. Lol.  Jumping to conclusions that Hunter was bad only to be proven wrong.

These are standard cartoon tropes, I'm just thinking this prequel book wil on follow them too.

Crazy thing is Panthers Quest is exactly like Gaurdians season 1 in as far as get the  macguffin storyline.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Ah okay. That makes sense. I think that also plays onto when you have a focus on a character like T'Challa, unless you have another person to "share" screen time with, similar to what priest did where we could have a mysterious T'Challa who's steps ahead, or telling the story in reverse. T'Challa is a hard character to write how Priest wrote him, it's possible but it requires being on point and knowing the ins and outs. Still, I believe Redjack got it in KiB and if the series was written in a PG13 or Netflix like style, T'Challa could be shown more brutal and you can get those more brutal depictions on top of him not being tied to the Avengers makes him able to be more formidable too.

Ultimately that's the deal, being tied to the Avengers makes it harder for him to be like priest BP. He did give us Priest vibes and BP vs Thor and BP beating down tiger shark and Tony and WS were the best showings of the series, T'Challa would of been better served under his OWN show

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: VIBRANIUM TRUMPET- New Black Panther Legends #1
« Reply #244 on: October 13, 2021, 02:28:03 am »
I'd say its average. Not a bad issue, but a one time read than never comes out if a long box. More of a quick apartheid lesson. What I was worried about them doing with Tchalla and Hunter wasn't really an issue.
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #245 on: October 14, 2021, 03:53:11 pm »
I'd say its average. Not a bad issue, but a one time read than never comes out if a long box. More of a quick apartheid lesson. What I was worried about them doing with Tchalla and Hunter wasn't really an issue.

Don't know how you get the books so fast CvilleWakandan.

Black Panther Legends read well enough and the art while simplistic was aesthetically pleasing.

This being Tochi Onyebuchi first run at BP and being only one issue deep, I will reserve any serious critique until he completes his run. Superficially, I do fatigue of T'Challa's stories being yoked to his supporting characters or dare I say the Avengers. From Shuri to the Dora Milaje and now Hunter.

Tochi Onyebuchi had this to say as to why he chose to use the White Wolf.

Heís a goldmine of storytelling potential! Oh my goodness! [Laughs] When I first encountered Hunter, I wondered why he hasnít been featured in every Black Panther story! [Laughs] Heís so compelling. I have to confess to a certain amount of glee when I discovered how relatively untouched this character was because I could really have fun with him.

I love this idea and motif of brothers and the relationship between them. The issues of responsibility, of inheritance, of power, of patriotismówhat does it look like to see all of that manifest differently? I think whatís also fascinating to me is the issue of Hunterís race. Thereís this white kid who under very tragic circumstances gets adopted into the royalist black royal family.

Tochi Onyebuchi

[Laughs] That in and of itself is a super compelling story. Then you have TíChalla being born as this younger brother and Hunter having to deal with no longer being the one, the heir so to speak. The storytelling potential there was just so magnificent. Iím getting more and more speechless just thinking about it because Hunter is such a rich character and provides such a fantastic foil for TíChalla.

Seeing them interact, specifically in the particular context of BLACK PANTHER LEGENDS, they have to deal with issues of apartheid. How does Hunter, as a white kid growing up in the black royal family, face that? Itís so rich! I also think thatís a dynamic that can appeal to younger readers. The idea of family with all of these different pressures exerted on it.

I think itís something younger readers will see in this book and it will make them think, it will make them look at their own familial dynamics and see the idea of family in a more interesting light. I just love brothers. [Laughs]

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/tochi-onyebuchi-black-panther-legends-interview

I also don't appreciate T'Challa's skills and abilities being hobbled. Hunter wins the race (though he was winded, sweaty and bent over) and this...

Young T'Challa should never get close to being touched by unskilled peer. Nor should he be so distracted that he would loose his Kimoyo bracelet. In addition our young adult readers need to see this kind of affection displayed on T'Challa.

Instead of focusing on Hunter I think more attention and detail should be placed on T'Chaka assassination. It should take a lot to take out the king and Black Panther of Wakanda. Not this.

A six man crew for T'Chaka... frakin' insulting.

Oh I can hear it now, this is a YA book it is not supposed to go deep. While Hudlin did better than most, T'Chaka's assassination hasn't been properly done for over fifty years. While this is not Tochi Onyebuchi fault it is a responsibility he could have embraced and added something new to flesh out this all too pivotal event in T'Challa's life.

The ad for the next issue says it all.

C'mon, who should be considered the living legend at this point of first contact. Here is what Tochi Onyebuchi had to say.

I am so excited for yíall to meet Storm in BLACK PANTHER LEGENDS. Going back to the question of how do you tackle a story thatís been done so many times before, there have been several instances in which weíve seen that initial meet-cute between TíChalla and Ororo. This was an opportunity to do that, but new. The way we were able to pull it offóI donít really want to say anything beyond that, I donít want to get into spoilers, but itís something that will make readers very happy.

We wanted to make sure Storm was a character in her own right, that this is a book where she didnít exist solely to serve his character development. I think thatís a trap writers can sometimes fall into, particularly with hero books, that youíll have these compelling female or nonbinary characters who exist only for the heroís character development, or theyíre plot devices. We worked really hard to make sure that wasnít the case here. The Ororo you meet here is compelling with her own desires and hopes and fears and wishes and dreams. Iím really proud of how we were able to pull that off. We will meet the Fantastic Four as well in this series!

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/tochi-onyebuchi-black-panther-legends-interview

I'll close by stating if you want to build up guest or supporting characters give them their own limited series. A Black Panther book is by definition designed to develop the eponymous character and we should accept nothing less.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 04:30:55 pm by Ture »
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #246 on: October 14, 2021, 06:24:45 pm »
Writer Tochi Onyebuchi on T'Challa's Origins and 'Black Panther Legends'
Uncover some behind-the-scenes insights into the new Black Panther storyóon shelves now!
BY BEN MORSE

Talk to me a little bit about your personal history with TíChalla, with Black Panther. Were you a longtime fan or did you come to the character later?

I was an X-Men kid growing up, the X-Men books were my bread and butter. I think a pivotal event for me was AVENGERS VS. X-MEN, because thatís when I started adding other Marvel characters to my list of favorites. It was really cool seeing all of the interactions. That coincided with my growing awareness of issues of race in America. Growing up as the son of Nigerian immigrants, I always felt like I was in a position where I didnít completely identify as an African-American; I can trace my family eight generations back, but Iím not fully Nigerian, because I was born in America. I operate in that sort of in-between space. Black Panther stood out for me because he and Wakanda were depictions of Africa that I didnít see very often, particularly in western media. The most technologically advanced nation in the world is on the African continentóthat was incredibly appealing to me.

But it was also about the possibilities where TíChalla could go as a character. I think itís fascinating to explore all these different aspects of his identity that go into his being a hero. What is it like being an African hero? I donít think I realized how incredible his impact was until the movie came out. To a lot of people that was their first exposure to TíChalla as a character and Wakanda as a concept. Seeing the reactionóparticularly among continental Africans and African-Americans and the people in betweenóseeing the incredible reaction that sparked, thereís so much here with how this character resonates with people, what itís like seeing him as a complicated, complex hero. Heís not just one-dimensional, he doesnít just put on the suit and save people. Iíve always appreciated that about the Marvel books, the complexity of the heroes.

Youíre going to be revisiting TíChallaís origin as Black Panther in BLACK PANTHER LEGENDS. This is a story that has been told many times, both in the comics and on screen. As a writer, what are the pros and cons for you of exploring familiar territory like this?

Itís a very interesting question, particularly working as a Marvel writer because thereís so much history. Personally, as a creator, on one hand I want to honor the efforts of those who have come before and have told these stories while at the same time understanding that I was asked to be a part of this for a reason. I have a very unique take on this, a perspective that could enrich this story. Itís been so much fun seeing what I could get away with. [Laughs]

Another thing is that because of the way time works in comics, origin stories can take place in different contexts. TíChallaís original origin story was placed in a very specific geo-political context, a very specific time and place in the world. TíChalla as envisioned in BLACK PANTHER LEGENDS has an origin story taking place in a very different time and place geo-politically. Another thing I really appreciated about this process is that Marvel really let me ground this story in a very specific Africa. This is an origin story where the royal family is aware of things happening on the continent, and that to me was very important, because when you think about the history of TíChalla and the history of the Black Panther as an icon in Wakanda, you think about all of Wakandaís resources and what they had at their disposal that enabled them to advance the way they did. And then you look at everything that surrounded them, all of the chaos and the carnage and the exploitation.

To me the very compelling question that arises is did Wakanda see a role for itself in all of this? What was behind this policy of isolationism? As a kid growing up as all this is happening, TíChalla has to reckon with the consequences of that policy. That to me is fascinating because youíre watching a country grow as youíre watching this character grow.

full article

Offline BlackClaw

• Yes my teeth and ambitions are bared! Be prepared!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 14, 2021, 11:55:45 pm »
X-Men fan? Yep Iím out.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 15, 2021, 02:37:15 am »
New books on Comixology are available around 3am. I have Unlimited so I save 15%.

I think he leaned on a standard trope that the hero would throw himself in front of the bullet and get killed. Tchaka was winning easily up to that point.

Tchalla was fighting five on one at only 10-12 years old. Taking a punch that didn't even phase him is impressive. The bracelet part didn't need to happen, I didn't see how it had any bearing on the story. Didn't seem like Klaw used it to power his gauntlet. Maybe it helped with smuggling? But inspection was pretty lax with a briefcase gun unless it was done by Killmongers father. Lol

It would have been simple to say he used it to sneak across the border with a small army after the initial meeting and he and Tchaka had a big fight near the mines.
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 15, 2021, 12:23:05 pm »
I'll say what I did before she. I saw that interview.

Guest characters showing up on other heroes titles by default, are designed to help the character development of the title character.
Do you punk them out to make the hero look good? No, you should really try not to do that, especially if in order to do that they have to be written wildly ooc.

This story is simple. When they meet have them help each other, Storm sees T'Challa fighting off 5 grown adults, she comes in to help, more show up, they take them down together and escape, which each of them "Saving" the other with a lean to T'Challa getting more feats (it's his book) and leave it at that.

Ultimately it's not Storm's book, so she doesn't need some deep dive into her as a character. Introduce her, have T'Challa interact with her, be respectful to both characters and move it along.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #250 on: October 15, 2021, 07:49:49 pm »
Comixology... so that's your secret. Cool, I enjoy reading your early reviews CvilleWakandan. The standard trope is what house's my criticism. If taking a punch is impressive I think never getting touched by five attackers is even more impressive. We agree on the whole bracelet plot. Wakandan security is indeed a joke. No weapons scanning, nor identity confirmation via facial recognition software, no armor or proficient bodyguards or automated defense systems?!? C'mon, this is why T'Chaka's death needs to be updated and made far more interesting.

I'll say what I did before she. I saw that interview.

Guest characters showing up on other heroes titles by default, are designed to help the character development of the title character.
Do you punk them out to make the hero look good? No, you should really try not to do that, especially if in order to do that they have to be written wildly ooc.

This story is simple. When they meet have them help each other, Storm sees T'Challa fighting off 5 grown adults, she comes in to help, more show up, they take them down together and escape, which each of them "Saving" the other with a lean to T'Challa getting more feats (it's his book) and leave it at that.

Ultimately it's not Storm's book, so she doesn't need some deep dive into her as a character. Introduce her, have T'Challa interact with her, be respectful to both characters and move it along.

Quoted for truth Ezyo, simply quoted for truth.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: VIBRANIUM TRUMPET- Black Panther Legends #1- Hunter Returns!
« Reply #251 on: October 18, 2021, 09:17:53 am »
Black Panther's Brother Hunter Returns To Marvel Comics
A little-known character from the Black Panther franchise just reappeared in a new Marvel adventure: Hunter, T'Challa's white half-brother!

BY JOSHUA ISAAK

Marvel's Black Panther franchise is known for having plenty of supporting characters that are loved by fans, but one of T'Challa's lesser-known allies has reappeared in Marvel Comics: his white half brother Hunter. The character has an interesting history with the Marvel Cinematic Universe in that the hero's title - the White Wolf - made the transition from page to screen, but not necessarily the hero himself. But in Black Panther Legends #1, written by Tochi Onyebuchi with art by Paris Allleyne and colors by Setor Fiadzigbey, Marvel revisits T'Challa's relationship with Hunter.

In Black Panther history, Hunter was raised alongside T'Challa in the royal city in Wakanda after his parents perished in a plane crash in the neighboring Republic of Mohanda. As one of the very few Caucasian people even allowed to visit Wakanda, let alone live in it, Hunter wasn't always accepted by the citizens - but he was always welcomed by T'Challa and the royal family. However, he harbored a slight resentment toward the family, as he knew he would never be chosen to take the throne over T'Challa (much like Loki.

In Black Panther Legends, Marvel retells the story of a diplomatic trip to South Africa by King T'Chaka, who takes both T'Challa and Hunter along. The group see for themselves the divide between races - Hunter must stand isolated in a "Europeans Only" line while the rest of the delegation queue next to him. T'Challa learns that his grandmother was one of the many anti-apartheid revolutionaries in South Africa at the time, which inspires him to defend a child beset by bullies in the streets. Hunter fights with him - and the two are naturally scolded by their parents after - but Hunter immediately realizes the difference between himself and his brother.

"I was jealous of T'Challa," Hunter admits to the queen, his adoptive mother. When T'Challa rose to the challenge and defended the target of the bullies, Hunter felt like he was only defending T'Challa. While he fully admits that T'Challa deserves to be the Black Panther and the next King of Wakanda, he can't help feeling that as soon as T'Challa was born "...I lost the chance to prove myself." It's a surprisingly mature realization from someone as young as Hunter, who would go on to become the White Wolf much later in life.

Unfortunately, Hunter's desire to prove himself manifested in a desire to upstage T'Challa in any way, even after his brother became king. The White Wolf would later become a member of the Wakandan secret police, then a mercenary, and finally an enemy of T'Challa and an exile from Wakanda. Unfortunately, since Hunter and the Black Panther's bond went back years in the comics, the White Wolf is nearly impossible to adapt in the MCU (which is perhaps the reason why Bucky Barnes is the new holder of the title).

https://screenrant.com/black-panther-brother-hunter-returns-marvel-comics/

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: VIBRANIUM TRUMPET- Black Panther Legends #2 Preview
« Reply #252 on: November 13, 2021, 07:35:23 am »
Black Panther Legends #2

Black Panther Legends #2 Synopsis: Follow young TíChalla as he continues on his heroís journey Ė and meets the legendary Storm! Three years after the death of his father, TíChalla continues his preparations to one day ascend the throne. After being rescued from poachers by a girl named Ororo who can control storms, he stays with her for a little while, meeting the other families sheís been helping Ė and learning that he, and Wakanda, could be doing better by their neighbors. But threats back home are building, and they will not be so easily dealt with! Dive into the legend of the Black Panther in this new origin story by acclaimed author Tochi Onyebuchi and New York Times-bestselling illustrator Setor Fiadzigbey, perfect for middle grade readers!

32 PGS./Rated T Ö$3.99

Tochi Onyebuchi (W) ē Setor Fiadzigbey (A/C) ē Variant cover by Edge
STORMBREAKERS VARIANT COVER BY JOSHUA CASSARA
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Price:$4.99
Release Date: November 17th, 2021
Check out the Black Panther Legends #2 Preview Pages below

If youíre interested in BLACK PANTHER LEGENDS #2, click HERE to get a copy! If youíre interest in past BLACK PANTHER by Coates, click HERE to get your hands on related trades, volumes, and issues. Maybe youíd like to catch up on old BLACK PANTHER series? Click HERE to snag some amazing trades and dive right in! And finally, if youíre looking for something else to read, check out my Amazon Online Comic Shop by clicking HERE. Thank you all for checking out the Black Panther Legends #2 Preview as well as your continued support. Stay safe and stay healthy.

Click HERE
https://comicbookdispatch.com/black-panther-legends-2-preview/

courtesy of CBR's Mindofshadow

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: VIBRANIUM TRUMPET- Black Panther Legends #2
« Reply #253 on: November 17, 2021, 07:34:49 am »
Black Panther Legends (2021) #2 (Variant)

Published:
November 17, 2021
Writer:
Tochi Onyebuchi
Penciler:
Fran Galan, Setor Fiadzigbey
Cover Artist:
Joshua Cassara

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: VIBRANIUM TRUMPET- Black Panther Legends #2
« Reply #254 on: November 17, 2021, 09:11:09 am »
My cousin and I were discussing issue #1 and he commented that he really appreciated how Tochi Onyebuchi integrated and connected T'Challa to his father death in such a creatively integral and unique way thus distinguishing T'Challa from any other character to take the mantle of Black Panther. T'Challa has to live with the consequences of actions leading directly to his father being killed by Klaw.

An act of kindness and protection of an innocent...

leads to...

Now I would argue that Kimoyo beads are given at birth and as such would be hard to overlook their loss, especially so for T'Challa. Note that young T'Challa wears kimoyo beads on both his wrists. Second, I would argue that not only would they not work for anyone other than whom they were made for, this being especially true for a non Wakandan. Not to mention the tech is incompatible with anything Klaw could get his hands on. Also we can't overlook the fact that Klaw was able to smuggle weapons not only into Wakanda but into the office of the king. Wakandan security measures are like nonexistent.

Some may contest that this is a young readers limited series and as such doesn't require such details but I would counter that this lack of details runs rampant through BP ongoing series for decades. It wouldn't take much for a limited or ongoing series to have Klaw state he was part of a coalition made up of Hydra and A.I.M. who have connects with the Atlanteans, Skrulls and some Kree dissidents to justify them circumventing Wakandan tech.

I haven't been satisfied with any rendering of T'Chaka's death. It should take a lot to kill him. A coalition as described above would fit the bill. Having T'Challa kill Klaw would be poetic as would the previously mentioned coalition reviving Klaw and making him into a being composed of raw energy. Of course if you want to keep it in house just have Klaw being seen as a super rich, scientific genius on par with Stark or Richards; create his own tech; invade Wakanda and get summarily defeated; transform himself into an energy being and then engage T'Chaka. This would make more sense to me.

On to Legends Black Panther #2.