Author Topic: Dear Mr. Hudlin - A thread to ask the questions only he can answer...  (Read 20258 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Mr. Hudlin - A thread to ask the questions only he can answer...
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2017, 05:45:45 am »
Yo, Reg...have you ever specifically thought of TChalla's  skills and physical attributes like strength or speed levels under your pen?

A.  Is he slightly weaker, strong as or stronger than Captain America?

B. In terms of intelligences, is TChalla smarter than, smart as, not as smart as or possessed of a different combo of Intelligences than Reed Richards, Maximus, Thanos?

C. Whose senses are shaper insofar as smell touch taste and hearing is concerned: TChalla or Wolverine? [ I would give SIGHT a edge to TChalla ].

D. How rich was TChalla under your pen?

E. Did your Wakanda have mutants?

F. Were you going to revamp old villains or create whole new Rogue Galleries for TChalla, or both? Could you name one new and one old villain you were leaning towards making/using?
I don't really get into the Marvel Guidebook approach to rankings.  But I will say Wakanda has mutants.  And so do other African nations.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2017, 11:36:12 am »
Dear Reggie Reg,
  I just wanted to say thank you! Thank you for everything that you've done and what you continue to do. To this day, whenever anyone tries to bad mouth BET, I reference your tenure as President as the turning point of the station. It wouldn't be the station that it is now if it wasn't for the changes that you started.  That's fact!
  Most BET haters hate just to hate or haven't paid attention since the early 90s.
  That's all. I don't want or need to ask you anything.
  I just wanted to say thank you.

Thank you!  I appreciate your contributions on the site!

Ever since you responded to my Black Panther email, I've been down for HEF. It's my internet home.  I'll always rep for YOU and this site. Know that!  8)

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2017, 03:01:35 pm »
Hey Mr Hudlin, hope you are doing well this fine day. A few questions for you.

When did you start reading comics?

If you were to do a monthly Black Panther buddy book, what hero would you make his partner(similar to Power Man & Iron Fist)?

What do you think is T'Challa's greatest technological accomplishment?

Thank you and have a great day.  8)
My older brothers read comics so I can't remember a time I didn't read comics.  I remember the first comic I bought.  We were at the spinner rack and my brothers were grabbing stuff so I asked mom if I could pick one out.  I bought a Gold Key Monkees comic.  My brothers were disgusted at the choice...they thought it was a waste of 12 cents that could have been spent buying a "real" comic beyond their budget.  But I stuck to my guns. 

Hmmmm, a Black Panther buddy book. Panther and Storm?  Panther and Cage?  Panther and Reed?

Greatest tech accomplishment?  One of the Priest ideas like that mother box for Wakandans he made, or those big ass battleships.

What was your favorite arc to write during your tenure? which was your least favorite? Also what has been your absolute Favorite feat in T'Challa's publication history?

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2017, 05:27:38 pm »
Mr. Hudlin, what was your first Black Panther comic book? Was there a sequel in mind for Flags of Our Fathers? What are the specs (your ideas on the functioning) of the protection totem?

I know, you feel like William Shatner at a Star Trek convention. Speaking of Star Trek... Gold Key Monkees comic? How could you pass up a Gold Key live action still cover of their Star Trek line?  :o

I remember buying three comics with half covers or no covers in a plastic bag for 35 cents. My firsts were...

Werewolf by Night

Batman

Black Panther

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2017, 05:46:54 am »

If you were to do a monthly Black Panther buddy book, what hero would you make his partner(similar to Power Man & Iron Fist)?

My older brothers read comics so I can't remember a time I didn't read comics.  I remember the first comic I bought.  We were at the spinner rack and my brothers were grabbing stuff so I asked mom if I could pick one out.  I bought a Gold Key Monkees comic.  My brothers were disgusted at the choice...they thought it was a waste of 12 cents that could have been spent buying a "real" comic beyond their budget.  But I stuck to my guns. 

Hmmmm, a Black Panther buddy book. Panther and Storm?  Panther and Cage?  Panther and Reed?

Greatest tech accomplishment?  One of the Priest ideas like that mother box for Wakandans he made, or those big ass battleships.

What was your favorite arc to write during your tenure? which was your least favorite? Also what has been your absolute Favorite feat in T'Challa's publication history?
Honestly, they were all fun to write.  Doing the first arc, actually writing the panther, was unbelievable.  Three the Hard Way, with all the heroes helping New Orleans post-Katrina, was a highlight. The marriage arc was history and satisfying, despite hateration.  The annual with Storm and T'Challa's family made me just want to write stories set in that time.  The story on the Skull gladiator planet was enjoyable because I loved that original story so much, plus I got to put MLK, Malcolm X and the Black Panthers all in one story. 

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2017, 10:13:11 am »
Yo, Reg...have you ever specifically thought of TChalla's  skills and physical attributes like strength or speed levels under your pen?

A.  Is he slightly weaker, strong as or stronger than Captain America?

B. In terms of intelligences, is TChalla smarter than, smart as, not as smart as or possessed of a different combo of Intelligences than Reed Richards, Maximus, Thanos?

C. Whose senses are shaper insofar as smell touch taste and hearing is concerned: TChalla or Wolverine? [ I would give SIGHT a edge to TChalla ].

Ohhh OKAY!! Think Gray's Anatomy...cuz ICU.

D. How rich was TChalla under your pen?

E. Did your Wakanda have mutants?

F. Were you going to revamp old villains or create whole new Rogue Galleries for TChalla, or both? Could you name one new and one old villain you were leaning towards making/using?
I don't really get into the Marvel Guidebook approach to rankings.  But I will say Wakanda has mutants.  And so do other African nations.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2017, 10:23:24 am »

Honestly, they were all fun to write.  Doing the first arc, actually writing the panther, was unbelievable.  Three the Hard Way, with all the heroes helping New Orleans post-Katrina, was a highlight. The marriage arc was history and satisfying, despite hateration.  The annual with Storm and T'Challa's family made me just want to write stories set in that time.  The story on the Skull gladiator planet was enjoyable because I loved that original story so much, plus I got to put MLK, Malcolm X and the Black Panthers all in one story.

Im not gonna lie, three the Hard way, and Little green men Arcs were porbably my favs from your run. They were put together well, and they were fun Adventure type where there was action and excitement that didn't disappoint.

I kow im bombing you with Questions but one thing i always wondered, why weren't you the one to Write See Wakanda and Die? And if you did write it, would it have been much different then Jason Aaron's? 

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2017, 03:22:49 pm »

Im not gonna lie, three the Hard way, and Little green men Arcs were porbably my favs from your run. They were put together well, and they were fun Adventure type where there was action and excitement that didn't disappoint.

I kow im bombing you with Questions but one thing i always wondered, why weren't you the one to Write See Wakanda and Die? And if you did write it, would it have been much different then Jason Aaron's? 

I thought of that question immediately when it happened. But I thought:

1. R to the H was prolly handling some BET and multimedia stuff for BP and his other projects
2. Didn't R to the H have his wife pregnant or a baby roundabout that time?
3. Jason Aaron was hot as hell during that time and they wanted to keep pumping up TChalla's sales. The LCBRD was doing its full on racist hateration on R to the H and BP [ remember the Three Headed Monster? ], and Aaron most definitely would pump sales. And that's exactly what SEE WAKANDA AND DIE did, under Aaron
4. Also...if R to the H wrote SEE WAKANDA AND DIE? TChalla would really have ganxtafied flat blastd the Skrulls. He would have busted out tech that trumped Reed's tech, and flashed his SKRULLS BE TRIPPIN CONTINGENCY PLAN on them in the form of something like GASKIYA GANI FASAHAR...TRUE REFLECTION TECHNOLOGY.

That? Is a Wakandan Ultimate Nullifier for all disguises, ruses, possessions, dominations, etc.

And then? R to the H would have had other big brains like Bruce Banner, Kang the Conqueror, The Watcher, etc. take note and be impressed. And when Hank Pym...the same Skrullified Hank Pym who stood shoulder to shoulder with Reed Richards and Stark during Civil War...gets uncovered? Hank Pym Skrull says:"Impossible! You are not smart enough to do that!"
TChalla:"Clearly, I am."
Skrull Hank Pym: "Reed Richards is the smartest of your kind. His technology is the most advanced on your world."
TChalla: "Wrong. Who told you that?"
Skrull Hank Pym: "How did you DO that?"
TChalla: "I only have time to kill you, not explain how paltry your technology is when compared to mine. Perhaps your Skrull Gods can explain to your spirit where you erred, when you get there. If they're in a talkative mood."
*KILLS THE CRAP OUT OF SKRULL HANK PYM*

OTHER HEROES, AGHAST: You KILLED him, TChalla.
TChalla: *Silent. Not caring*
OTHER HEROES: Now we'll NEVER find Hank..!
T'Challa: W'Kabi, are you in position? [ Of course TChalla knew that The Skrulls captured the rest of The Illuminati, because TChalla gave them their first private room in Wakanda  for meetings and absolutely spied upon them as they hatched their plans. Which TChalla could easily see would backfire, leading to their capture or death or worse ].
W'KABI: As you commanded, sire.
SHURI: Returning to the RANA KISA [ RANA KISA MEANS "SUN KILLER", THE ULTIMATE  INTERDIMENSIONAL AND INTERSTELLAR CLASS BATTLE AND MULTIPURPOSE SHIP; YEARS LATER? TCHALLA INNOVATES FROM THIS CLASS OF SHIP TO CREATE THE ARC SAVING SELECTED HEROES DURING SECRET WARS UNDER HICKMAN ] "MAFI HATSARI NA JINSUNAN" [ Meaning DEADLIEST OF THE SPECIES ] with all packages in tow. No casualties. [ Pause; then Shuri adds with an intimidating chuckle sounding more like a she-panther's growl ]. On OUR side! [ The Midnight Angels greet this proclamation with a mighty shout of warrior passion ].

While the other heroes stand around with mouths agape, Shuri returns with THE ILLUMINATI and guides all of the Skrullified Heroes back.

Then? TChalla would not even stoop to handle the hell out of H.A.M.M.E.R. personally. He's already got them beat. He simply ensures that his homies don't catch the H.A.M.M.E.R. static, and provides safe havens for under the radar heroes like Night Thrasher , Patriot, etc.

During Necrosha? Hell. Equipped with an Anubis Class Neutralizer, Ororo leads a Wakandan detachment against Selene [ who's been trying to get TChalla in the sack for rigorous and plenty orgasming for years, which both Ororo and Selene mention as verbal daggers to get under the skin of others; Selene salaciously suggesting that she "had her way with TChalla many times prior to your return; shall I describe the Royal Bedchambers to you?" whereas Ororo permanently knows better, clowns Selene, beats her down, and adds: "...you got the description of The Royal Bedchambers wrong! There were no Royal Bed Chambers until I had them designed. TChalla, being an ascetic, and a warrior, preferred a simple unadorned warrior's rest and meditation chambers. And TChalla...being TChalla...would have had you executed summarily, Selene, had he condescended to lend an ear to your desperate pleas for his attention." ] whoops ass unlimited, reenforces her position as the ultimate incarnation of the Mutant-Human Harmony, Hope and Peace of the [ pre-trashed by later writers ] noble Charles Xavier, digs into Emma Frost with her comments about constant lovemaking with TChalla, flawless problem free relationship with TChalla, Ororo's Queen Status and Queenly infinite wealth, unending shopping, unfeigned, unlimited adoration of the masses and all of the people in the continent of Afrika, etc...

...and after ending the Event after Secret Invasion [ Necrosha ] by smashing the crap out of then killing the crap out of Selene, Ororo takes the Afrikan mutants with her back to Wakanda. Nobody who might have a problem is alive enough to protest the Queen's decisions in this matter. And to put the smash on the magic of Selene? Easy work. We see the long awaited return of Mendinao aided by janky but madd powerful Zawaviri, and we see that Ororo had another plan in mind when she went off to slap the fangs and the taste out of Selene's mouth: Queen Ororo returns with the youngest daughter of the current Modjadji...RAIN QUEEN...as this younger daughter is Afrikan, a mutant, a very powerful witch...

...and rocks blue eyes with signature silver and blood crimson hair. She is part of Ororo's lineage. The first to bear the mark and the blue eyes since Ororo herself.

R to the H would do something even crazier and flyer than allat I wrote above. That's why Marvel was like: HEEELLLL NOOOOO!! MR. R TO THE H AINT DOIN NO KINDA SECRET WARS WRITING OR ANY OTHER ACTUAL PENNING OF A MAJOR MARVEL EVENT.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2017, 12:52:08 pm »
Mr RH, what were your thoughts on the teaser trailer? How do you feel About your created Character Shuri being shown?

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2017, 09:31:04 am »
Mr. Hudlin, what was your first Black Panther comic book? Was there a sequel in mind for Flags of Our Fathers? What are the specs (your ideas on the functioning) of the protection totem?

I know, you feel like William Shatner at a Star Trek convention. Speaking of Star Trek... Gold Key Monkees comic? How could you pass up a Gold Key live action still cover of their Star Trek line?  :o

I remember buying three comics with half covers or no covers in a plastic bag for 35 cents. My firsts were...

Werewolf by Night

Batman

Black Panther

The first Black Panther book I read was his debut in the Fantastic Four.  My brother Warrington's book.  That locked in who the Panther was to me.  When I wrote the book I wanted to get back to that feeling. 

The first Panther book I bought was the start of the Killmonger arc.  It ended with him being thrown off a cliff.

Yes, I had/have a sequel for Flags of Our Fathers in mind.  It is set during T'Challa's teenage years, and it involves Wolverine, Tony Stark, Janet Van Dyne and The Winter Soldier.

If the Gold Key Star Trek was on the spinner rack, they may have been a hard choice between that and the Monkees book.  But it wasn't so Monkees it was.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 09:33:32 am by Reginald Hudlin »

Offline Beware Of Geek

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2017, 11:16:09 am »
Am I the only one amused by the fact that the first two comics have almost the exact same layout?  The vampires even LOOK alike....

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2017, 11:24:35 am »
Am I the only one amused by the fact that the first two comics have almost the exact same layout?  The vampires even LOOK alike....

If you find that amusing, check out the video about Disney using the same layouts and movements from their older animated movies on new ones.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Beware Of Geek

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2017, 12:16:53 pm »
I've seen them, actually.  ROBIN HOOD was perhaps the worst offender.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2017, 02:00:27 pm »
When Marshall comes out, may I get the opportunity to interview you (and the cast) on my radio show, The Takeover: Countdown?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2017, 03:47:25 pm »

Mr. Hudlin, thanks for participating in this thread of Q&A. I really enjoy reading your answers as to what your ideas for BP would have been and they give joy and pain in that they confirm what many of us longtime hardcore as well as some new fans who are learning more about the history of this character believed you would have done had you not left the scene. I understand you won't talk about other writers, which is fair. But, whenever I run into someone who says they know the character because of what Coates wrote, I tend to roll my eyes and ask them if they've ever read yours or Christopher Priest's work with BP let alone anything from McGregor, Kirby or even some of the work by McDuffie. Because I feel more BP fans should be aware of how much of the current mythos you have a part in. Even watching the on-screen version of BP  by Chadwick Boseman, I see the merging of the Priest/Hudlin depictions of T'Challa and Wakanda (minus Ororo as wife, unfortunately) over anything else.  I really hope that more folks go back read some of the writers, like yourself, that actually made BP a bad ass and "A-list" hero in the MU well before he hit the movie screen. To take in the work of ALL writers to see how far the character has come.

Sorry if this isn't really a question as opposed to more of a statement and show of appreciation of your work with BP. But I felt I should speak on it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 03:54:33 pm by The Evasive 1 »