Poll

Should the MCU Recast T'Challa the Black Panther

Yes, for an actor who will further the Black Panther tradition started by Chadwick Boseman
9 (90%)
No, because there is no MCU Black Panther without Chadwick Boseman.
0 (0%)
Too soon for me to say.
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: FEAR OF A BLACK PANTHER - New Black Panther Series by Eve L. Ewing & Chris Allen  (Read 89937 times)

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
For now I'm still going with the dead friend being the villain. I could see Tchalla having complained to him about how ineffective the govt was and he took that as a dog whistle to start this whole thing as a way of eliminating it. Because the new govt had nothing to do with the spy program so there is no reason to kick them out. But at least it looks like issue 6 will have a definitive mid story ending setting up a second half.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

BLACK PANTHER #7

JOHN RIDLEY (W) • STEFANO LANDINI (A) • Cover by ALEX ROSS

The Hatut Zeraze have taken control of Wakanda, and with the Black Panther branded a traitor, the future of the nation is at a crossroads. To clear his name and protect his people from his own mistakes, T’Challa must reckon with his legacy — starting with the acknowledgement that leadership is only as strong as the faith of its following.

courtesy of CBR's Mind of Shadow

Cool cover. The Hatut Zeraze have taken control of Wakanda... ok, smells like Hunter but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Ridley makes it Akili. All the women of Wakanda, huh? Are we to guess that the next Wakandan civil war will be a continuation of Coates' battle of the sexes? Coates' version of T'Challa the Black Panther is so dead and his ghost is killing Ridley's iteration.

This too is a courtesy of the Shadow.

A courtesy of CBR's TrooperCameron

To keep the thread honest, we have this coming soon.

At the CBR, We have talked about the irony that Ridley said his run was supposed to be about black male friendships and exploring positive showcases of Black men with emotions and supporting each other and then we get a cover with. T'Challa and all the OCs and non franchise characters of Wakanda save 2. 4/6 are massive isht talkers to T'Challa, and atleast 3, of the 6 have betrayed Wakanda. Yet they are front and center on the cover. As for Black males save T'Challa, we have one dead OC, and another OC who may be a traitor, and a 3td tier x character no one cares about... Brotherhood is now an all inclusive term

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Here is an update for the BP faithful.

This is the Black Panther Legends #4 Black History Month Variant which I would think Marvel will still release.

The big news is we have a new release date though far removed from its original drop date. I think Marvel would have did better to release this comic book weekly during Black History Month or wait and release it weekly in November to coincide with Wakanda Forever.

THE BLACK PANTHER TAKES ON THE FANTASTIC FOUR!

T'Challa has ascended the throne, but is still faced with the choice his father tried to make: keep Wakanda closed off and safe, or open up and offer aid to the rest of the world? As a test case, he invites the Fantastic Four to Wakanda, and ends up needing their help to
battle a now-super-powered Klaw as he tries again to infiltrate the country and steal the it's precious vibranium for himself. Can the Black Panther defeat Klaw for good this time? Don't miss the finale of the new origin story by the New York Times bestselling team, Tochi Onyebuchi and Setor Fiadzigbey!

RATED T
In Shops: May 04, 2022

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/JAN220975
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: BLACK PANTHER - Legends Mini Series... Preview of BP Legends #4
« Reply #273 on: April 28, 2022, 10:16:30 pm »
EXCLUSIVE SNEAK PEEK: Preview of MARVEL COMICS BLACK PANTHER LEGENDS #4!
By Chad Burdette

Black Panther Legends, the story of T’Challa of Wakanda, and a new origin story of how he became the Black Panther by the New York Times bestselling team, Tochi Onyebuchi, and Setor Fiadzigbey! reaches its final issue this week in BLACK PANTHER LEGENDS #4.

BLACK PANTHER LEGENDS #4

THE BLACK PANTHER TAKES ON THE FANTASTIC FOUR!

T’Challa has ascended the throne, but is still faced with the choice his father tried to make: keep Wakanda closed off and safe, or open up and offer aid to the rest of the world? As a test case, he invites the Fantastic Four to Wakanda, and ends up needing their help to battle a now-super-powered Klaw as he tries again to infiltrate the country and steal the it’s precious vibranium for himself. Can the Black Panther defeat Klaw for good this time?

Writer:  Tochi Onyebuchi
Penciller(s): Enid Balam & Ramon F. Bachs
Inker(s): Roberto Poggi, Oren Junior & Ramon F. Bachs
Colorist:   Ian Herring
Letterer: VC’s Joe Sabino
Editor(s): Lauren Bison
Associate Editor: Caitlin O’Connell
Consulting Editor: Wil Moss
Standard Cover Artist(s):  Jahnoy Lindsay
Variant Cover Artist(s): Joshua ‘SWAY’ Swaby; Juni Ba
Format: 4 issue Limited Series – Final Issue
Page Count/Cover Price: 28 pages/$3.99

Joshua ‘SWAY’ Swaby Black History Month Variant:

Juni Ba Variant

https://comic-watch.com/news/exclusive-sneak-peek-preview-of-marvel-comics-black-panther-legends-4

« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 10:29:58 pm by Ture »

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 30, 2022, 07:16:20 am »
??? That preview is nonsensical. How would he NOT know whom the Wakandan Craft belongs to or that he sent for the FF? And not have any control over his people to prevent them from firing on the ship?

Also, kinda getting sick of the MCU synergy and trying to keep Shuri relevant by having her create his habit. We literally had Narcisse origin story and now we have another one and they can't seem to give her a lane that doesn't step in T'Challas shoes, even though it's not that difficult to do

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 30, 2022, 08:12:53 am »
??? That preview is nonsensical. How would he NOT know whom the Wakandan Craft belongs to or that he sent for the FF? And not have any control over his people to prevent them from firing on the ship?

Also, kinda getting sick of the MCU synergy and trying to keep Shuri relevant by having her create his habit. We literally had Narcisse origin story and now we have another one and they can't seem to give her a lane that doesn't step in T'Challas shoes, even though it's not that difficult to do

I was thinking the same. It could be to solicit was not accurate or they made changes during the delay.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 30, 2022, 10:04:53 am »

I was thinking the same. It could be to solicit was not accurate or they made changes during the delay.

It shows a few things,

Either T'Challa is an incompetent fool for not knowing who it is coming into Wakanda and not being able to assert is authority over his people for them to start shooting like panicked Green soldiers rather than with the trained control and calm of a warrior nation, plus ya know, the idiocy of possibly firing on wounded friendlies.

The other option (likely case by her reaction) SHURI and not T'Challa has invited the FF to Wakanda, which completely goes against the the origin of the meeting because T'Challa invite them to prove test to see if he was ready to take down Klaw.

Finally, this preview cheapens the encounter further by having the FF being attacked by the Wakandan people and T'Challa because now, instead of it showcasing Tchallas genius prep and systematically dismantling the FF or eliminating their strengths and leveling the playing field and outfighting them. Now instead this will only make the FF look good because they are going to be shown beating down Wakandans and the only reason they lose is due to being outnumbered and ambushed, or Shuri will stop the fight to say she invited them.

Overall, this looks pretty unimpressive for a retelling of the origi, and I would of much preferred they just left Lee and Kirby's version of they were going to half-ass it like this.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 30, 2022, 10:08:11 am »
In the original version Tchalla lost because an uninvited guest who traveled with the FF released the others after he captured them. His prep only worked if it went as intended, but this prequel has been good so far, so I'll wait to see how it plays out.
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 30, 2022, 10:42:33 am »
In the original version Tchalla lost because an uninvited guest who traveled with the FF released the others after he captured them. His prep only worked if it went as intended, but this prequel has been good so far, so I'll wait to see how it plays out.

I know he lost but it was fine because he STILL took down the FF but it gave him a lesson in preparing for the unknown.

This version by Tochi had been more of a benefit for Hunter rather than T'Challa. And frankly it's unneeded and Narcisse version was superior, ESPECIALLY challenge day.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
It was a decent issue, but felt rushed. They should have given him two issues to let the story breath more. The FF being there became the least important part of the story.
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
The first page was almost celebratory for T'Challa the Black Panther, the second was an attempt at narrative consistency by having T'Challa and Hunter discuss their differences. The third page... I was distracted by S'Yan's hair. Fourth page emphasizes T'Challa's naivete. From here on the historical rewrite begins.

Shuri can't stand on her own and Tochi Onyebuchi proves such by unnecessarily shoehorning into the Black Panther's epic origin. She designs a new BP costume. Shuri invites the Fantastic Four?!? She single handedly eliminated T'Challa's strategic and tactical prowess, not to mention martial and combative skills.

T'Challa takes down Ben and Sue only because he's wearing the new Shuri Stelfreeze habit. He tackles Johnny and redirects a flame blast at Reed. Wakanda was taken completely unaware and looked feeble.  T'Challa isn't shown as being Reed's scientific peer. Klaw's attack would have been closer to accurate but Onyebuchi had to force Okoye into the mix.

Okoye even saves T'Challa and he returns the favor courtesy of the new Shuri Stelfreeze habit. A habit composed of vibranium and Reed Richards' patent pending unstable molecules. It ends with where it began, with T'Challa running behind Hunter.

One of the few things Coates did that had some potential for use was giving Shuri a potential skill and power set that could be distinguished from those of T'Challa. The editors and writers need to focuson that and leave T'Challa the Black Panther's history alone.

Watch this to cleanse your palate.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I don't think Shuris costume is the reason he beat FF. He didn't act surprised when he redirected Ben's punch like he did with Klaws' sound monster.

I think this showed his martial and strategic skills better than the original. In the original he had time to plan and prep to fight the FF. Here he had to do it on the fly.

I think he did show he was Reeds' peer, just not a science geek like he is.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 04:28:21 pm by CvilleWakandan »
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 04, 2022, 05:46:35 pm »

I know he lost but it was fine because he STILL took down the FF but it gave him a lesson in preparing for the unknown.

This version by Tochi had been more of a benefit for Hunter rather than T'Challa. And frankly it's unneeded and Narcisse version was superior, ESPECIALLY challenge day.

I read the Captain America prequel story, co-written by Tochi, that serves as a jumping on point for Tochi's Falcon Captain series as well as a separate Rogers' Captain America series.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
At the end of the story, Hunter makes an appearance, so I imagine that he's been so prominent in this story as an reintroduction and set up for Toch's Falcon series. Also, Wakanda will play a role in the Falcon Captain series too.
I haven't read any of Tochi's Black Panther miniseries so that's just speculation on my part.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 04, 2022, 06:00:25 pm »

I read the Captain America prequel story, co-written by Tochi, that serves as a jumping on point for Tochi's Falcon Captain series as well as a separate Rogers' Captain America series.
At the end of the story, Hunter makes an appearance, so I imagine that he's been so prominent in this story as an reintroduction and set up for Toch's Falcon series. Also, Wakanda will play a role in the Falcon Captain series too.
I haven't read any of Tochi's Black Panther miniseries so that's just speculation on my part.

I saw that and added it to my pull list.
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 04, 2022, 06:09:53 pm »

Don't bother, the whole thing is a dumpster fire. ESPECIALLY todays final issue. All Marvel is doing is making Shuri more and more unlikable. Atleast this book isn't canon otherwise it would piss off the entire BP fan base