Author Topic: "2 Women in 50 Years" Appreciation/Unappreciation Thread  (Read 44705 times)

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: "2 Women in 50 Years" Appreciation/Unappreciation Thread
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2017, 06:16:53 pm »

I'm sold!  How do we make this happen?

What draft picks do we have to give up to acquire her into the Black Panther mytho?  I'm pretty sure we could get her for the cheap.  It'd be the steal of the century!

Probably half to give up a first round Tchalla beats someone easil and a second round Wakanda doesn't destroyed at some future unspecified time. lol
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2017, 10:00:19 pm »

What draft picks do we have to give up to acquire her into the Black Panther mytho?  I'm pretty sure we could get her for the cheap.  It'd be the steal of the century!

Probably half to give up a first round Tchalla beats someone easil and a second round Wakanda doesn't destroyed at some future unspecified time. lol

Under Coates pen yes, under a real BP scribe,
I'm sure they could think of something. She is really a star candidate to elevate to high levels of exploration  unhindered by other offices throwing a hissy fit

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2017, 05:04:56 am »

God what is this Captain Plot Device love going on?

Because she black? bc she likes pie? do we even know what kind of pie she likes? What if she likes crappy razberry pie or something? instead of the true king, strawberry ruhbarb?

She was the worst character in Hickman's run. Hang around, make jokes about pie, and then YAY fix everything!

ugh
ugh
ugh

I'd rather t'challa grovel for storm or go back to Monica Lynn than hang around a walking plot device.

Writers have a hard enough time coming up with real "threats" to wakanda and t'challa and yall wanna have him hang around a character who snaps her fingers and fixes everything?

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2017, 05:41:18 am »

Because she black? bc she likes pie? do we even know what kind of pie she likes? What if she likes crappy razberry pie or something? instead of the true king, strawberry ruhbarb?

She was the worst character in Hickman's run. Hang around, make jokes about pie, and then YAY fix everything!

ugh
ugh
ugh

I'd rather t'challa grovel for storm or go back to Monica Lynn than hang around a walking plot device.

Writers have a hard enough time coming up with real "threats" to wakanda and t'challa and yall wanna have him hang around a character who snaps her fingers and fixes everything?

Damn dude lol  ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 05:43:59 am by The Wakandan »

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2017, 06:06:15 am »
How come T'challa's true ride or die chick gets no love?

Pros:

- She was literally T'challa ride or die girl. 100% by his side no matter what. Accepted her role as body guard with 100% loyalty. Never wavered. Never failed. The king wants to go to Harlem and hide out and die of an aneurysm? Okoye went with him. Never played games like "insert every love interest." Never went crazy like Nakia. Never was a sass mongrel like QDJ. Okoye would have follwed t'challa into the depths of hell and gladly died for him. Okoye would have personally bitch slapped Aneka and Ayo for acting a fool.

- MCU confirmed.

- Wakandan

- 100% control in the mythos

- rags to riches disney princess story

Cons:

- Is she dead though? Did hudlin kill her off when Doom attacked? My head canon was that she was the Dora T'challa jumped in front of to save because... OKOYE IS HIS TRUE RIDE OR DIE GIRL! Why else would T'challa jump in front of his bodyguards unless it was Okoye?

Why wasn't Okoye brought back as a force ghost? Mr feminist Coates didn't bring back any of the fallen Doras? Is she not dead? Then wehre is she? HUDLIN WHERE IS OKOYE!!!!

- might be too young...

- marrying a dora might be weird but since the DM are no longer around... no longer weird.

BRING BACK OKOYE!

SHE AINT DEAD, TCHALLA JUST BOUGHT HER AN ISLAND FOR HER YEARS OF SERVICE AND SHE IS LIVING LIFE RETIRED!

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2017, 09:08:36 am »
How come T'challa's true ride or die chick gets no love?

Pros:

- She was literally T'challa ride or die girl. 100% by his side no matter what. Accepted her role as body guard with 100% loyalty. Never wavered. Never failed. The king wants to go to Harlem and hide out and die of an aneurysm? Okoye went with him. Never played games like "insert every love interest." Never went crazy like Nakia. Never was a sass mongrel like QDJ. Okoye would have follwed t'challa into the depths of hell and gladly died for him. Okoye would have personally bitch slapped Aneka and Ayo for acting a fool.

- MCU confirmed.

- Wakandan

- 100% control in the mythos

- rags to riches disney princess story

Cons:

- Is she dead though? Did hudlin kill her off when Doom attacked? My head canon was that she was the Dora T'challa jumped in front of to save because... OKOYE IS HIS TRUE RIDE OR DIE GIRL! Why else would T'challa jump in front of his bodyguards unless it was Okoye?

Why wasn't Okoye brought back as a force ghost? Mr feminist Coates didn't bring back any of the fallen Doras? Is she not dead? Then wehre is she? HUDLIN WHERE IS OKOYE!!!!

- might be too young...

- marrying a dora might be weird but since the DM are no longer around... no longer weird.

BRING BACK OKOYE!

SHE AINT DEAD, TCHALLA JUST BOUGHT HER AN ISLAND FOR HER YEARS OF SERVICE AND SHE IS LIVING LIFE RETIRED!

We talked about this on the original Hudlin HEF. Back then? I remember saying she is too young. Not the recently upward adjusted middle 20th Century American "too young" [ because in 1900, a grown many marrying a 12 year old didn't raise too many eyebrows in the U.S. of A. ], I meant from the cultural Wakandan perspective. She was 17 at the time, but Monica Lynne specifically said that he looked at them as "children". Almost like nieces, is the vibe that I got.

But that was 2006. 11 years later? She's 28. Whole nother ball game, now.

Still though? STORM mobs on everyone else. Really that simple. Storm is really and truly organically made to fit seamlessly with TChalla, and again we can draw upon the hallowed prehistory as written by that fetishist but potent writer, Chris Claremont.

After STORM? I can see someone shouting Okoye...but she don't have no real 616 shine. There would have to be real 616 shine...that didn't trample on the spotlight of "The Ancient Future" [ I like that! Coates did that right ] because a good writer would realize that writing TChalla and his Royal Family and Crew is essentially writing a team book that has about 50% of its shine on TChalla [ or TChalla+Storm his wife+Shuri+Hunter+Ramonda; yes RAMONDA! She is CRIMINALLY underplayed; such riches in her past as a character, and we need to return to PRIEST HUNTER, who is MY DAWG ] with the other characters divvying up the remaining 50%. Kinda like the early seasons of CHARMED where it was really PRU+HER SISTERS...but way better written, and minus the corny. Hahahahah, I joke. I kid.

Captain Universe. She would be a TERRIFIC addition. And NO, my bruthas and sistahs...she couldn't just snap her fingers n fix thing. In the Eighth Reality? Thangs ain't so simple as allat. Furthermore? She would be a very able and capable Star Commander or whatnot for Wakanda the INTERSTELLAR EMPIRE. Who would be better fit to oversee allat besides Captain Universe? Plus...overseeing the Interstellar Empire of Wakanda is a TERRIFIC PLACE to store characters like S'Yan, W'Kabi, Zuri, etc who were allegedly killed previously. They ain't dead. TChalla...all with the uberprep...fixed up some LMD's, swapped em with the allegedly murdered Royals, let the Royals get payback on their "killers", and then these same Royals bounced to the Interstellar Front to deal with Interstellar threats and matters.

Like Wakanda would be caught slippin on the Interstellar Front. They monitor GALACTUS, for Chrissakes. They not worried bout Thanos, Phoenix Force, etc because they keep their wary Wakandan watch on them all.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2017, 09:16:06 am »
Hahah

I will now be a Captain Universe / Tamara fanboy for the indefinite future, just off the shear disgust MoS displayed for her  ;D  ;)

Tamara and T'Challa Forever!

#CosmicBae!

#SingleMothersWinning!

#DarkPhoenixWHO?

8)
How many leaders you said you needed then left em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, its King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2017, 09:21:16 am »
Captain Universe. She would be a TERRIFIC addition. And NO, my bruthas and sistahs...she couldn't just snap her fingers n fix thing. In the Eighth Reality? Thangs ain't so simple as allat. Furthermore? She would be a very able and capable Star Commander or whatnot for Wakanda the INTERSTELLAR EMPIRE. Who would be better fit to oversee allat besides Captain Universe? Plus...overseeing the Interstellar Empire of Wakanda is a TERRIFIC PLACE to store characters like S'Yan, W'Kabi, Zuri, etc who were allegedly killed previously. They ain't dead. TChalla...all with the uberprep...fixed up some LMD's, swapped em with the allegedly murdered Royals, let the Royals get payback on their "killers", and then these same Royals bounced to the Interstellar Front to deal with Interstellar threats and matters.

Like Wakanda would be caught slippin on the Interstellar Front. They monitor GALACTUS, for Chrissakes. They not worried bout Thanos, Phoenix Force, etc because they keep their wary Wakandan watch on them all.

I agree 110%.  Outstanding, thought provoking and undeniably accurate post my g!  heheh

We may not have the assets to make this trade tho  :-\

We've lost so many picks over the years as is  :'(

And aint got ish in return  >:(

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2017, 10:42:13 am »

ugh
ugh
ugh

LOL. Well to me, She would only work if she is depowered (as she is too powerful and too much power can make it harder to tell stories with Real stakes) by a great amount, having at most 75% of her original power left. The point being, though is that she is an open canvas and there could be alot done with her, She is a WoC, she has is able to be molded however given no history, and no ties to a franchise. We need more WoC so why not use her? Again if she is depowered so its not a Ex Machina everytime she shows up then i think it would be okay

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2017, 10:47:56 am »
Better off just creating a Wakandan mutate then with powers and having 100% absolute control than using such a Z list garbage character who has no fans anyway so it isn't like she is bringing in all this attention and great rich back history.

Creating Gwazi the Wakandan who got powers from raw vibranium after  saving civilians from the collapsing Vibranium Mound during one of thanos romps instead of using Captain Universe... you lose all of 1 fan

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2017, 11:12:18 am »
They're all going to be z-list garbage characters with no fans, at start.  New Wakandan or not.

I don't really see the animosity for this particular z-lister, unless it's just by association with Hickman or b/c she's not Wakandan. <--  In which case 99% of the women suggested here aint sh*t.  Which may very well be the case, but that's addressed in most of the cons anyway

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2017, 11:27:16 am »
They're all going to be z-list garbage characters with no fans, at start.  New Wakandan or not.

I don't really see the animosity for this particular z-lister, unless it's just by association with Hickman or b/c she's not Wakandan. <--  In which case 99% of the women suggested here aint sh*t.  Which may very well be the case, but that's addressed in most of the cons anyway

1. not a fan of cosmic T'challa. so giving him a cosmic bride is just bleh

2. i found her incredibly annoying in Hickmans run. Both in a plot device way and all her "development" was a waste of panel. Maybe she got better elsewhere and became a real character in some other book but Hickman Captain Universe was groan worthy

3. A little fire in a thread never hurt anyone lol

4. She is such a blank slate there is nothing to offer than you coulnd't get from just making a new character. Either take a character with some history so that the history enriches the story, take a character with fans so they transfer over (but that can be a curse ala Storm), or just make a new character. Makes more sense than connecting to someone like Captain Plot.

Plus doesn't she have a kid? Oh lawd, heir to Wakandan throne is not Wakandan. That  should be more outrageous than any white chick lol

mostly I jest because not like its gonna happen anyway.

Offline Things Fall Apart

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2017, 11:45:03 am »
Unless you can prove to me that any of these women can throw down on making the world's finest pizza I'm not accepting any of this.

Everyone knows the way to Panther's heart is through a pie. 

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2017, 11:58:20 am »
Mr Hudlin created the perfect power couple in T'Challa and Ororo.

End of.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2017, 12:42:40 pm »

ugh
ugh
ugh

She disappeared 2/3 of the way thru Hickman's run and NO ONE NOTICED OR CARED.

So whatever any BP writer does with her in future will be fine because even by the standard of comic fandom where every character somewhere matters to somebody somewhere we have objective evidence that nobody gives a f*ck about Captain Universe.

That is a point in her favor, BTW.

Even Monica Rambeau has fans somewhere (all 20 of them) and they all are on the net (because of course they are). But you could shoot Captain Universe out of a cannon into the Kingpin's ass crack and nobody would make a peep.

Not even to say "nice shot".

BTW If they were to bring back Monica Lynn there would be none of these "how do you make X work" problems as being T'Challa's L.I. is the whole point of the character.

You can't go wrong if you go old-school: in house L.I., best buddy and foil.