Author Topic: Dick Grayson or Damien Wayne?  (Read 396 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Dick Grayson or Damien Wayne?
« on: April 23, 2017, 02:40:21 pm »
Which is your favorite Robin?

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Re: Dick Grayson or Damien Wayne?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 02:54:23 pm »
Damien all the way

because he is the only Robin that makes any damn sense and isn't super creepy

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 10:55:26 pm »
I loved Damien...especially with Dick as Batman.  I never wanted Bruce to come back. 

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 01:03:31 am »
I like Damian a lot, but I'm going with Dick, the first Robin. He's the first Robin also that I came to know. I also liked when Dick was Batman and Damian was Robin. I wish that run had gone on longer.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 06:18:35 am »
Hmm... Using my mental wayback machine, let me see:
I'm thinking the main way that I've experienced Robin in pop culture is through the 60s live-action TV show and all the cartoons over the years.  I was still in early childhood when the 1980 Teen Titans reboot got underway; I didn't have access to reading comics regularly back then.  I wasn't born yet when the late 60s editorial folks decided to make Grayson college-aged and make him semi-independent, and everything that followed in the 70s-era comics.  (I have a dim memory of being at least nominally puzzled by some late 70s-era Batman comics where Robin was clearly absent).  By the time I finally had an opportunity to buy comics on my own, he had apparently already become Nightwing-- at the time I found the change intriguing (by this time I'm thinking the Titans lineup had changed drastically), but I also didn't know anything about Jason Todd (and I'm thinking I missed the infamous toll-free poll), and Tim Drake was a year or so away.
The 90s animated series tweaked the outfit in a way that made it cooler for modern sensibilities, getting rid of the shorts and 'pixie' boots.

I came to highly appreciate what was done with the Drake character- the improved outfit, the improved weapons (battle staff), and "his own" car, for once.

Damian-- eyah... >:( >:( >:( I guess he's still an evolving character-- but from what I've read in some of the early appearances, he leaves a lot to be desired.  The main obvious thing is his tendency toward lethal violence, and secondly the entrenched egotism and arrogance that makes him assume he's better at this than everyone else, adult heroes included.  And it doesn't really seem like he's predisposed to change.  Not a likable character at all.

So with this choice, I'm going to have to roll with Grayson, easily.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 07:46:05 am »
Damian Wayne, he's the coolest and his new costume is even cooler. Plus Titus may be even better than my dog Rollo Lawson, but I doubt it.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 01:54:19 pm »
I actually like Dick as Batman with Damien as his impudent Robin.  I didn't want Bruce to return.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 06:22:58 am »
I actually like Dick as Batman with Damien as his impudent Robin.  I didn't want Bruce to return.

so what was the interaction between the two of them like?
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 02:02:39 pm »
^
My take on that relationship was that the normal Batman/Robin relationship was flipped. Dick's Batman still kicked ass but he wasn't as tortured or as dark. Damian was the darker one, albeit more impulsive, reckless, and way more willing to kill. So the relationships were reversed from the standard Batman/Robin relationship but also added to by each unique character's take on their role.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 02:09:43 pm »
Tim!

Ok, not a choice...Dick for nostalgia (but I prefer him as Nightwing) so Damian.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 05:29:10 am »

so what was the interaction between the two of them like?
Dick is Batman without the angst.  Damien is arrogant, impudent and in denial of his need for a guardian.  It made the series fresh again.