Author Topic: 2017 NBA Playoffs  (Read 4959 times)

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
2017 NBA Playoffs
« on: April 25, 2017, 07:49:16 am »
My Pacers are such a joke :(

I love seeing old man Joe Johnson do his Old Man thing.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 10:52:24 am »
So far, everything I've seen looks like a third consecutive Warriors vs. Cavaliers matchup. And a Golden State championship. But LeBron is still the best player on the planet.

Here's some random observations about the remaining series:

Boston vs. Chicago
Isaiah Thomas persevering; Rondo's resurrection then series turning injury. Looks like Boston is going to survive.

Toronto vs. Milwaukee
I thought this might be the Giannis coming out party but not quite yet. He's the next big thing though. Dude might be the 2nd best player in the East right now. Wait until he can shoot.

Washington vs. Atlanta
John Wall is the best player in this series. The Wizards should have taken care of business at least once in the ATL. Now they have a fight on their hands.

San Antonio vs. Memphis
This is a fun series. Memphis always battles. Mike Conley is criminally underrated, even in his own mind sometimes. Kawhi Leonard is a basketball cyborg. Dude does everything right. He needs some help though. (LMA, I'm looking at you.)

Houston vs. OKC
Obviously, the MVP battle. Houston is better though. They could even make it to the WCF.

Clippers vs. Utah
What do you know, Blake's injured again. Doesn't really matter. Whoever comes out of this series is roadkill anyway.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 10:56:02 am »
Westbrook over Harden for MVP is ridiculous.

Westbrook went full ball hog mode

yes, it si historic what he did. But Harden wasn't that far behind while actually making his team mates better...

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 11:25:31 am »
Yeah, I kind of agree with you. The counter is "have you seen the rest of the Thunder?" You're right, he was the first ever to crack 40% usage rate. His efficiency was comparable to Harden's though and he led the league in assist percentage (only John Stockton has ever had a higher assist %).

So, I think Russell Westbrook is going to win MVP. I don't know if he should, but I'm OK with it. This year has been pretty great for MVP discussions. There's probably 5 guys you could support depending on what you value.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 04:48:08 pm »
As always...my Spurs.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 12:31:58 am »
So far, everything I've seen looks like a third consecutive Warriors vs. Cavaliers matchup. And a Golden State championship. But LeBron is still the best player on the planet.

Why do you give it to Golden State this year?  My son questions this.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 05:52:36 am »
Yeah, I kind of agree with you. The counter is "have you seen the rest of the Thunder?" You're right, he was the first ever to crack 40% usage rate. His efficiency was comparable to Harden's though and he led the league in assist percentage (only John Stockton has ever had a higher assist %).

So, I think Russell Westbrook is going to win MVP. I don't know if he should, but I'm OK with it. This year has been pretty great for MVP discussions. There's probably 5 guys you could support depending on what you value.

IMO, a superstar is supposed to elevate his team mates.

Westbrook just went "f*ck it, i'll do everything myself. Oh and guys, box out everyone so I can get free rebounds for my triple double"

How does a player like Oladipo not excel playing next to an MVP candidate? He basically just duplicated his numbers from a sh*t Orlando team.

How come Steve Adams seemingly got worse?

This team was like Iverson's sixers teams... except those teams were built to revolve around Iverson.

(plus he helped push one of ht ebest players ever out in Durant but that is for another day).

Now... I AM nitpicking. But I feel like with this class of candidates, nitpicking is a necessity. And Harden did nearly everything Westbrook did... but his team is an actual threat and he made people better.

we all know Lebron is the best player anyway lol

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 08:51:10 am »

Why do you give it to Golden State this year?  My son questions this.
They're just stacked. I think they get through the west without that much trouble really. The Spurs don't have enough firepower to keep up and the Rockets can't guard them. Although a Rockets vs. Warriors WCF would be a lot of fun.

The Cavs are not as good on the defensive end this year. The Warriors give them too many problems to solve. They probably should have won last year. LBJ went supernova to just eke it out. So now add freaking KD to the mix. It's kinda not a fair fight. Plus LeBron just led the league in minutes played so we'll have to see if he's got that Superman gear available.

The one caveat, injuries can change everything. That happened last year. Steph Curry wasn't 100% in the finals last year and it made a difference.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 09:06:49 am »
Now... I AM nitpicking. But I feel like with this class of candidates, nitpicking is a necessity. And Harden did nearly everything Westbrook did... but his team is an actual threat and he made people better.
Truth. Nitpicking is necessary. And Harden did lead the most efficient offense in the NBA. If I were voting for MVP, I think this would be my ballot:

1. James Harden - what MindOfShadow said. If he would just guard somebody...
2. Steph Curry - makes an excellent team great. Steph's season was amazing by all measures except in comparison to his utterly ridiculous season last year.
3. Russell Westbrook - historic season. But even Oscar Robertson didn't win MVP the year he averaged a triple double. RW basically made a lottery team into a first round exit team.
4. LeBron James - he should probably have more of these by now. We all know if we were picking teams for a game or series anywhere, he'd be first.
5. Kawhi Leonard - dude just does everything right. He'd probably be my second pick.

One thing that's unfortunate, one of those guards will be 2nd team All-NBA (probably Steph). Add in Anthony Davis and that's my All-NBA squad.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 05:04:11 pm »
John Wall made an enemy last night.
Me.  And hopefully the rest of Hawks Nation.

#ATLH0

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 10:43:30 am »

#ATLH0
Hopefully indeed. The NBA needs more hate. Seriously.

Speaking of which, the Wizards better figure out how to slow down AI 2.0 in a hurry or this is going to be a short series. Where you at Bradley Beal?

So what's up with your squad, MM? They look stuck in mediocrity.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 02:03:02 pm »
are all the playoffs on cable right now?  all the goings-on have been above my head these several weeks.
Oh well.
will the east/west conference finals at least be on regular TV?

never mind.  big money rules. old news.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 10:50:53 am »

#ATLH0
Hopefully indeed. The NBA needs more hate. Seriously.

Speaking of which, the Wizards better figure out how to slow down AI 2.0 in a hurry or this is going to be a short series. Where you at Bradley Beal?

So what's up with your squad, MM? They look stuck in mediocrity.

We are. We're good, but not good enough.
No matter how many moves we make, we stay around the same place.
Last year's team was one of the best.  If we would've had Dwight last year, then I think we would've defeated Cleveland and the championship would've been ours.
We play up to our competition and last year we were giving Golden State fits

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 10:52:45 am »
dwight howard is a cancer

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 08:12:03 am »
So the designated finalists keep on rolling while the best of the others battle for the chance to face them in the conference finals.

The Wizards should handle the Celtics; they've been the better team except for the 4th quarters of games 1 & 2.
The Spurs have home court advantage and I think they'll move on. If the Rockets get hot, all bets are off though.

I don't see anything threatening to derail a finals three-peat though.