Author Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (Spoilers)  (Read 4804 times)

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (Spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 05:31:34 pm »
RE: Superman's death vs Yondu's:

Its not that we know Superman's death won't stick, its that it was suppose to be this major event that changed everyone's lived, and the story for the movie he died in and the previous one didn't lead up to it. He spent the majority of the previous movie conflicted, this one moreso, they kept him an enigma to the public instead of having him make a firm stand where he stood, and then he died. It *should* have generated a "meh" instead of the "wow I've got to rethink my whole life!" like it made Bruce do. All they had to do was have Superman state firmly, before or after the explosion or heck both, "I stand for hope even when it seems hopeless" and reject Ghost Pa Kent's philosophy of non-involvement and voila. A better director would have understood that...

On the other hand, this was a natural evolution of what we had already learned of Yondu. The rogue with a heart, he grew to like Peter and to Peter he was the closest thing to a father he had, abuse and all. It stood to reason the feeling was mutual, Yondu saw Peter as a son. We just didn't know it was to that degree, but they had already laid the groundwork for it so it made sense when it happened. In BvS, they did not re: people's reaction to Superman's death, Lois and Martha's reaction aside
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (Spoilers)
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 10:17:06 pm »
GoG2 was beautiful in that one father tries to kill him and he strikes him down, giving up immortality for the sake of the universe.  The other ("I'm not your daddy, but I"m you pappy") sacrifices himself so his son can live.  Beautifully done.