Poll

Who should be T'Challa's best black friend? (Pick your top 3)

Luke Cage
10 (25%)
Blade
4 (10%)
Blue Marvel
4 (10%)
Brother Voodoo
8 (20%)
Sam Wilson
3 (7.5%)
Miles Morales
2 (5%)
Nighthawk
1 (2.5%)
Night Trasher
3 (7.5%)
Cloak
0 (0%)
Manifold
2 (5%)
Other
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: "Can I be your Best Black Friend?"  (Read 19519 times)

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
"Can I be your Best Black Friend?"
« on: April 26, 2017, 09:58:16 pm »
Because "T'Challa and his Black Friends" is still my preferred title for the Crew.

Terminal Objective: If Black Panther were to get a Spider-Man/Deadpool-type buddy series (12 issues guaranteed) with an A-list creative team and a black male superhero of your choice to co-star with... give the pros and cons as to why your (best) black friend nominee would totally rock! (and suck!)

Optional Objective: Share what you would want their run to be about.

My nominee:

Pros:
-Wesley Snipes baby!
-Can probably keep up with T'Challa in a race
-Guns and sword baby!
-Most underutilized / underrated black character that can draw 140 million in the box office back before being a superhero was cool
-All their strengths none of their weaknesses baby!
-He's kind of a dick but in a hilarious way (see: Hudlin's run)

Cons:
-Nobody cares about vampires anymore, zombies are the rave
-He's been dead in the water creatively for, like, forever.. outside of his first 2 movies
-They gotta expand him to more than just vamps, like mystical ish
-Dante from Devil May Cry jacked his entire style and ran with it, with the mystical ish
-They want to retire him and have his out of wedlock child take over
-He is a bit of a dick (see: Hudlin's run)

Add on
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:04:14 pm by Mortal Man »
How many leaders you said you needed then left em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, its King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: "Can I be your Best Black Friend?"
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 05:19:25 am »
Hmmm still thinking.  Miles, Cloak would be more a mentor/student relationship.

The problem is the kingship aspect.  Partners are equal, so to be a true buddy story, you need someone unimpressed with his kingship, or another King-type.  (Blade fits the former.)

Still thinking.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 05:35:48 am »
Voodoo or Blade would be the best match book wise as then you can dive full into mysticism aspects and their skills don't overlap completely.

Blade would be better personality wise but Voodoo would work better power set wise.

Adam would work in a world finest way but you would need to dumb him down (like Superman gets dumb downed) a bit to cement T'challa's role (brains and prep) in the group. This would take a great writer to pull off but the template (Worlds Finest) is there. The issue Ewing has had with the pair is that he made Adam the science dude which steps all over T'challa's role.

I want to say my boy Cage but... he doesn't bring too much to the table T'challa can't do for himself.

Even moreso for Nighthawk... T'challa power wise is like Nighthawk amped x10000. T'challa has better tech, better prep, better powers, more money. The only interesting thing that is African King guy with a borderline racist dude who protects the hood. how would Nighthawk respond to T'challa? And would T'challa even care? This would take a VERY good writer to pull off satisfactory.

I'd love to see Miles in Wakanda though... but that wouldn't really be a partnership. It would be a "Miles is wide eyes the entire team, keeps trying to prove his worth to T'challa, f*cks up, finally proves his worth" type of a story.

But.... personalities sell more than power sets IMO. So I'll role with...

1. Blade
2. Cage
3. Voodoo

Offline Things Fall Apart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 05:53:23 am »
I think Voodoo would make the most sense as his actual best friend.  I think T'challa respects Blue Marvel for his mind, but thinks he's mostly a sell out.

Offline BamfingRoundTheWorld

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 06:08:08 am »
I'd choose Cage because I can see him and T'Challa having back and forth about the way they were raised. T'Challa being a Prince/now King and Cage being raised by the inner city streets.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 06:16:02 am »
I'm thinking...DOCTOR VOODOO. Not Brother...DOCTOR.

I think DOCTOR Voodoo would be a perfect ally for the "Where are the Orishas?" thing, and I would love to see TChalla break out his full on brilliance, resources, and vaunted prep when facing the likes of Dormammu, Nightmare, Chthon, The Hell-Lords, Dracula [ of course ], rematch Mephisto,  Baron Mordo, Doctor Doom [ both TChalla and Voodoo have a score to settle against him ], and all that netherworldly crew from Marvel. Starting with a completely power amped Karnaj, Baron Macabre, and others that are part of Panther's own Rogues Gallery.

Coates may address some of this, but...after his last smashing of TChalla and Wakanda? Not loving anything he's writing. Although, I gotta admit, in almost a contradiction to the previous sentence? His opener for BLACK PANTHER #13 with STORM? Dope. An area of Storm and TChalla that is way overdue for exploration. PRIEST, with his brilliant self, did the most thoroughgoing job via Moon Knight. And Hickman, believe it or not, expanded that area wit hthe interactions with Bast...and evne though I'm not loving how he bonded Reed and TChalla as brothers in this Rite? I know that doing so helped raise the profile of both characters [ most especially TChalla, tbh ] during that time. For which? I thank Hickman.

Being a self defense expert, an Old Skool Dungeons and Dragons head with a special study of Afrikan magic, gods, etc? I could rock the hell outta this kind of story. Lol. Mess around and be a standalone fanfic. I do address a significant slice of Motherland Magic with TChalla's interactions with the Gods of Asgard and Olympus in my fanfic...

Pros:

Literally Black magic!
Incredible untapped potential we can pimp to the max
The power of his spiritual Brother can align him with great magicks like THE IBEJI [ which makes him beyond Nightmare's ability to defeat...]
RH named him "LORD OF THE LOAS",dawg! Let's rock that!
We can really explore his warrior side, which is neglected
His personal life is also largely neglected, although RICK REMENDER did tremendous work with him

Cons:
Almost entirely unknown in the MU, so a team up? Won't exactly set the masses to salivating with glee prior to the series launching

Hard to get him to mesh cleanly with the megatech of TChalla

May have real distrust issues with TChalla, because after all? TChalla DID choose to let him die in THE INCURSIONS, when a lot of that could have been avoided if THE ILLUMINATI weren't so arrogant

His Loa may or may not have static with the pantheon in Wakanda

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 06:18:23 am by supreme illuminati »
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 06:38:10 am »
I also want to see TChalla rock with ADAM BLACKVEIL, aka NIGHTMASK

There is soooo much here that can be delved into. The space and hypertheoretical tech of Wakanda and TChalla. The starfaring and interdimensional trotting legacy of Wakanda. If America has SWORD, you KNOOOOWWWW that Wakanda has way doper stuff. I cannot believe that Wakanda wouldn't have their answer to Star Brand [ especially with Thoth being a major God in their pantheon ], and I would love to see TChalla off handedly neutralize a Star Brand power.

There's some much needed gitback, retaliation, and revenge opportunity, too.

After some good build up to establish her a very formidable, TChalla should track down, outsmart, and capture Supergiant. And Maximus. Together. We have a perfect opportunity to showcase the unfettered genius of Shuri, too. Shuri vs Supergiant. TChalla vs Maximus.

The Ebony Maw should run them a merry chase throughout realities and dimensions. TChalla should get a run back against The Great Society's Batman, and this time? Whoop tha anal region without any kind of stupid statement conceding that TGS Batman can beat him. Battle him to the very end, and stomp that gluteus.

Then repeat the "I'm smarter and better prepped than you" feat with THE EBONY MAW AND THANE. In the process? TChalla should rematch and beat THE BLACK DWARF...ON PANEL, THANKS. A real epic throwdown. Then, to top it off? He and Shuri should romp on The Black Kings, The Black Swans and finish with that black boot stomp just stomping the living daylights out of Corvus Glaive and Proxima Midnight...with Shuri finally killing that tryck.

But waitaminnit...Supergiant manages to save the essences of Glaive and Proxima. Looks like a Round 3 is coming some time in the future...
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 08:24:48 am »
I think Voodoo would make the most sense as his actual best friend.  I think T'challa respects Blue Marvel for his mind, but thinks he's mostly a sell out.

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 08:42:04 am »
Voodoo or Blade would be the best match book wise as then you can dive full into mysticism aspects and their skills don't overlap completely.

Blade would be better personality wise but Voodoo would work better power set wise.

Adam would work in a world finest way but you would need to dumb him down (like Superman gets dumb downed) a bit to cement T'challa's role (brains and prep) in the group. This would take a great writer to pull off but the template (Worlds Finest) is there. The issue Ewing has had with the pair is that he made Adam the science dude which steps all over T'challa's role.

I want to say my boy Cage but... he doesn't bring too much to the table T'challa can't do for himself.

Even moreso for Nighthawk... T'challa power wise is like Nighthawk amped x10000. T'challa has better tech, better prep, better powers, more money. The only interesting thing that is African King guy with a borderline racist dude who protects the hood. how would Nighthawk respond to T'challa? And would T'challa even care? This would take a VERY good writer to pull off satisfactory.

I'd love to see Miles in Wakanda though... but that wouldn't really be a partnership. It would be a "Miles is wide eyes the entire team, keeps trying to prove his worth to T'challa, f*cks up, finally proves his worth" type of a story.

But.... personalities sell more than power sets IMO. So I'll role with...

1. Blade
2. Cage
3. Voodoo

The Fantastic Four

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 08:46:10 am »
I'm thinking...DOCTOR VOODOO. Not Brother...DOCTOR.

I think DOCTOR Voodoo would be a perfect ally for the "Where are the Orishas?" thing, and I would love to see TChalla break out his full on brilliance, resources, and vaunted prep when facing the likes of Dormammu, Nightmare, Chthon, The Hell-Lords, Dracula [ of course ], rematch Mephisto,  Baron Mordo, Doctor Doom [ both TChalla and Voodoo have a score to settle against him ], and all that netherworldly crew from Marvel. Starting with a completely power amped Karnaj, Baron Macabre, and others that are part of Panther's own Rogues Gallery.

Coates may address some of this, but...after his last smashing of TChalla and Wakanda? Not loving anything he's writing. Although, I gotta admit, in almost a contradiction to the previous sentence? His opener for BLACK PANTHER #13 with STORM? Dope. An area of Storm and TChalla that is way overdue for exploration. PRIEST, with his brilliant self, did the most thoroughgoing job via Moon Knight. And Hickman, believe it or not, expanded that area wit hthe interactions with Bast...and evne though I'm not loving how he bonded Reed and TChalla as brothers in this Rite? I know that doing so helped raise the profile of both characters [ most especially TChalla, tbh ] during that time. For which? I thank Hickman.

Being a self defense expert, an Old Skool Dungeons and Dragons head with a special study of Afrikan magic, gods, etc? I could rock the hell outta this kind of story. Lol. Mess around and be a standalone fanfic. I do address a significant slice of Motherland Magic with TChalla's interactions with the Gods of Asgard and Olympus in my fanfic...

Pros:

Literally Black magic!
Incredible untapped potential we can pimp to the max
The power of his spiritual Brother can align him with great magicks like THE IBEJI [ which makes him beyond Nightmare's ability to defeat...]
RH named him "LORD OF THE LOAS",dawg! Let's rock that!
We can really explore his warrior side, which is neglected
His personal life is also largely neglected, although RICK REMENDER did tremendous work with him

Cons:
Almost entirely unknown in the MU, so a team up? Won't exactly set the masses to salivating with glee prior to the series launching

Hard to get him to mesh cleanly with the megatech of TChalla

May have real distrust issues with TChalla, because after all? TChalla DID choose to let him die in THE INCURSIONS, when a lot of that could have been avoided if THE ILLUMINATI weren't so arrogant

His Loa may or may not have static with the pantheon in Wakanda

Ok ok, I get it. He's a doctor.  Sheeesh  ;) :D

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 08:51:14 am »
Of the many things i would've changed in Coates run, I also would've swapped out Eden with Jericho if BP absolutely had to have a bus driver (and I prefer if he just used his tech for that).  I don't mind Eden but he bores me with the powerset.  Voodoo got that diversity

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 09:23:01 am »
Cage, Pros: Someone charismatic that bounces off of T'Challa well, When written correctly (Ie how Hudlin had them interact) and Both of them are Hot right now, with Cage have the Tv show and the T'Challa's movie coming up. They have history so it would be organic, and they can have Fun adventures along the way.

Cons: Luke doesn't offer much that T'Challa cant do. what would really make it work would be to essentially put them into a situation thats not the normal and Have T'Challa being the brains and Prep and Cage being the Brick (maybe T'Challa uses some Tech on him to amplify his power as well) but the problem is that he just doesn't have a varied powerset.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 09:36:04 am »
Of the many things i would've changed in Coates run, I also would've swapped out Eden with Jericho if BP absolutely had to have a bus driver (and I prefer if he just used his tech for that).  I don't mind Eden but he bores me with the powerset.  Voodoo got that diversity

Yea, Eden just doesn't have a powerset, What are his powers? Teleportation? Otherwise he is a regular human with nothing else to bring to the table. Voodoo, Would bring mystics, which he has been to Wakanda before and would complement him Well. Ontop of Already having Teleportation tech as is. Why use him? I want to See T'challa flex his super genius mind, and not rely on Everyone else to get things down for him

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 12:11:59 pm »

Yea, Eden just doesn't have a powerset, What are his powers? Teleportation? Otherwise he is a regular human with nothing else to bring to the table. Voodoo, Would bring mystics, which he has been to Wakanda before and would complement him Well. Ontop of Already having Teleportation tech as is. Why use him? I want to See T'challa flex his super genius mind, and not rely on Everyone else to get things down for him

That might be the point in the book, Eden only brings one power set, so he can't really impact the story/fight, other than being a bus driver.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 12:31:41 pm »
Cage and Voodoo would be a cooler team than any potential T'challa + team up

(just saying)