Author Topic: The Destruction of the Black Panther Jonathan Hickman's Legacy?  (Read 20134 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Destruction of the Black Panther Jonathan Hickman's Legacy?
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2015, 06:41:29 am »

About this scene; when the series began, Hickman said that T'challa would be the moral center of the team. This is what it means to be the moral center.  BP drew the line.  And he did it in a way that shut Reed and Tony's mouth.  This argument couldn't be made by logic because logic says he should have killed billions.  Logically Namor was right, but logic is wrong.  Being the moral center is not about the brain; it's about the heart.  And that's what is going on here.  This isn't weakness; this is ultimate strength. 

Now, that's not the say I really liked how this played out.  I think he could have gotten the same results, still through the heart, in tbetter way.  However, that may not be Hickman's doing; it might be the artist.  Depending on the method Hickman uses to write books, the artist draws the scene and then the dialogue is added.  The artist might have taken it further than the script intended it to go.  Or not. 

BUT this only works depending on how the story ends.  So, I will hold my final judgments till the series ends.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2015, 08:03:54 am »

About this scene; when the series began, Hickman said that T'challa would be the moral center of the team. This is what it means to be the moral center.  BP drew the line.  And he did it in a way that shut Reed and Tony's mouth.  This argument couldn't be made by logic because logic says he should have killed billions.  Logically Namor was right, but logic is wrong.  Being the moral center is not about the brain; it's about the heart.  And that's what is going on here.  This isn't weakness; this is ultimate strength. 

Now, that's not the say I really liked how this played out.  I think he could have gotten the same results, still through the heart, in tbetter way.  However, that may not be Hickman's doing; it might be the artist.  Depending on the method Hickman uses to write books, the artist draws the scene and then the dialogue is added.  The artist might have taken it further than the script intended it to go.  Or not. 

BUT this only works depending on how the story ends.  So, I will hold my final judgments till the series ends.

Kip, Hickman has said a lot of things but that doesn't mean that his word is sacrosanct or even to be trusted.

Any allusions towards T'Challa as the supposedly moral centre to this particular story, fall apart when one considers the following sequence....

And to make matters worse, the "moral" T'Challa's pausing to gloat rather than act in a tactically expedient manner led to this....

All of which merely amounts to T'Challa being nothing more than a chumped out character bereft of any of the attributes that were always part of his character before the likes of Maberry and Hickman arrived on the scene.

I don't need to get to the end of the "Everything Dies" saga to see how things play out for T'Challa because Hickman has done such an adept job of rubbishing the character to such a degree so far that in the end, he might as well have just killed T'Challa off as a character alongside the Black Panther mythos as a concept in much the same way as he's done with Shuri and Wakanda.

Hickman has without a doubt, been the worst thing to have happened to T'Challa and the aforementioned BP mythos post Reginald Hudlin and that's a fact that remains indisputable whichever way one wishes to slice it.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2019, 01:50:39 pm »
The MU comic characters are supposed to be in alignment with the Marvel movies. You think Movie Marvel BP will be mute? Powerless? Without Wakanda? No? Okay then.

That means that the twists and turns that he's going through now and all of the largely deserved complaints and cries that it's generated on this board simply show that Hickman is doing a good job of taking TChalla thru the ringer. And all of the foregoing will make TChalla's return climb to superior glory that much more memorable.

"...Hickman is doing a good job of taking T'Challa thru the ringer."

Agreed!  Unfortunately my friend, "T'Challa's return climb to superior glory..." in comics only exists as a figment of your potent imagination.  Hanging your hopes for such a return on the forthcoming movies when they are chronologically behind the books; just introducing Ultron and Civil War story lines, doesn't logically follow. 

All we actually have is what's on the page and to that end we've gone from promise:

to:

and Reed is now unquestionably the lead:

(I know this isn't 616 Reed but you can insert the image of Cap confronting Reed and Sue in Avengers #40, I just couldn't find that online.)

For me, even a Priest/Hudlin level redemptive turn, which would be wonderful and welcome, would not undo any of the post-Hudlin experience which has been long, arduous and extremely disrespectful to fans of The Black Panther and Wakanda.

Peace,

Mont

I cannot deny nor would I even attempt to deny that Hickman has put hammer to the anvil of TChalla. No doubt that there are major aspects in there that I'm not loving.

But. We KNOW that Marvel Comics IS GOING TO reflect the Marvel Cinematic Universe. In the MCU? TChalla is a badass. Therefore. We KNOW that TChalla is going to be a badass BEFORE the movie with Captain America breaks out. When's Cap's Movie? Next year, right?

Right when Battleworld ends.

So. TChalla is definitely on the comeback trail.

And YES you are RIGHT that Hickman's run won't be forgotten. But I tell you this:

Despite the bad pills. Despite the disagreeable pic of TChalla shedding tears. Despite the destruction of Wakanda.

When Hickman is done? He will have done what nobody else has done for TChalla. He will have placed TChalla invincibly front and center as one of the baddest best smartest and still the most independent man in The Avengers, and the MU. And every writer across the MU and comicdom will respectanize the Essence That Is TChalla. And that foundation will allow the CJP's the RH's the Liss' of the future to write TChalla full bore no shame in his game flames WITHOUT backlash from the LCBRD because the LCBRD will now include a much larger, much more diverse audience who ALREADY knows AND accepts TChalla as essentially Marvel's Batman.

Summer. 2016. TChalla tears down all hatas forever in his movie debut with Cap. He'll be with THE AVENGERS too [ making 3 Black guys: Fury, Falcon and TChalla ], which will kick the flava for his own movie up even more notches. And then? A trilogy all about "the shrewdest man in the MU"--CJP.

And Hickman is setting the Marvel Universe up for that, right now.

You do know the Black Panther flick's been pushed back to 2018?

Of course I do know that TChalla's movie has been pushed back to 2018.

That's why I pointed out that Cap's movie...which introduces TChalla...drops in 2016. That would be CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR.

That's the part where I said: "But. We KNOW that Marvel Comics IS GOING TO reflect the Marvel Cinematic Universe. In the MCU? TChalla is a badass. Therefore. We KNOW that TChalla is going to be a badass BEFORE the movie with Captain America breaks out. When's Cap's Movie? Next year, right?"

This guy right here:

is not a sucka. You don't make hundreds of millions if not billions on a sucka. You don't introduce a sucka via CAPTAIN AMERICA:CIVIL WAR. You don't drop a trilogy costing a hundred million or so in aggregate for the trilogy...on a sucka. You do that only with major bankable properties.

BP is a major bankable property.

Heads are mad at Hickman now...and a lot of them are supposed to e. It's justifiable. But. Before the end of Battleworld? TChalla will be that major hot bankable property.

RH was the only guy who all by his lonesome had both the writing and directing skills to rock that BLACK Panther, but they hated on him [ unjustifiably imo and I will think that til my dying day ] and would let him do it.

Hickman came around and he's actually gonna get it done in the MCU and set it up for Kevin Feigle [ or whatever ole dude's name is ] on the Cinema side.

Proof? Check Marvel Phase 3.

Game over.

TChalla wins.

The sycophancy continues.

How much is Hickman paying you?

On a much more serious note.

I would never have believed that a time would come when a writer would be praised for totally watering down and destroying the Black Panther mythos to such a degree.

It's very hard to fathom but I can only assume that some weird type of Stockholm Syndrome is to blame for this.

Christopher Priest wrote a nuanced, complicated T'Challa replete with angst, knowledge of self and technological superiority without sacrificing T'Challa's inner humanity.

Reginald Hudlin gave us amore swashbuckling, supremely confident and culturally aware T'Challa who served as a bastion to other Black characters within the 616 MU.

Dwayne McDuffy represented to the max.

Hell!

Even Geoff Johns, came correct with T'Challa when he was writing the Avengers book.

David liss working from a very disadvantaged position, still succeeded in writing T'Challa as a boss regardless of status and he did so without diminishing either T'Challa, Shuri or Wakanda in the process...

David Liss also created one of the coolest supporting characters in Sofija.....

who turned out to be quite interesting...

All of these writers brought something special to the Black Panther mythos but for some unfathomable reason, I'm supposed to salute Hickman for reducing T'Challa to this...

Whilst giving T'Challa's attributes to Reed Richards.

Did the supreme illuminati call it right, or did the supreme illuminati call it right? That up there? SUPREME ILLUMINATION.

Idk how this particular thread came up in a Google Search about other BP related topics, but I'm glad that it did...
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2019, 08:00:00 pm »
I don't want a hero I go from pitying to outright being disturbed by.

Just about everything bad that has happened to Wakanda came from decisions T'Challa made.

JH has actually made me not like my favorite hero.

It has been mentioned earlier, but the only way out it seems is the MCU presentation getting to the core of the character which should appeal to millions, and and not a 60K white males & Uncle Tom's who think a confident & competent black hero is some perfect Mary Sue.

I like TChalla. I dislike many things that Hickman and Mayberry put him through. But I know that the end result is...badass TChalla. Forevermore. So...I'm down with that part.

Dude, I know I said I no longer had a desire to engage with you on this subject but....Damn!

The level of caping you've done for Hickman so far has now reached Rutog98 levels of delusion.

As Happy Pants and many other posters have pointed out, Hickman has written T'Challa as an obtuse traitor to the Wakandan aesthetic that kept that nation inviolate from external enemies for millenia and as te NA saga unfolds and Wakanda lays in smouldering ruins with the loss of millions of Wakandan lives and the death of Shuri, the only Black Panther worth a damn, I really find your unswerving defence of Hickman's disgraceful handling of the BP mythos in really bad taste.

Hickman has done more damage to the BP mythos than Jonathan Maberry who also claimed to be a "fan" of the character before he proceeded to rob Wakanda of Vibranium chump out T'Challa and Ororo and have Bast betray T'Challa and Wakanda by endorsing Doom's plundering of Wakanda and utter humiliation of T'Challa and Co.

There is nothing in Hickman's treatment of T'Challa that indicates an understanding of te character or his world let alone that he even has an real appreciation for the superior character work put in by actual giants such as Reginald Hudlin, CJP, McDuffie and David Liss who actually got T'Challa's characteristics down pat.

Hickman has turned T'Challa into an inneffectual joke character tat no reader in their right mind could ever take seriously but the only person in the proverbial room that doesn't seem to have gotten this memo is you. :smh:

Every letter I wrote. Every prediction I made. Spot. On. 100% right. You? Are the forever respected Salustrade for a reason. But. I have not been wrong about T'Challa's fate since CJP penned him. I'm the supreme illuminati for a reason.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline mayday

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2019, 06:57:41 am »
Next comes the big screen destruction of Wakanda. Much to the delight of a lot of "fine people". No surprise after after disney showed dead black kids in Avengers : Civil War.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2019, 01:33:45 am »
Next comes the big screen destruction of Wakanda. Much to the delight of a lot of "fine people". No surprise after after disney showed dead black kids in Avengers : Civil War.

Idk if that will happen, brutha. Wakanda seems to have survived Thanos, even though both Shuri and T'Challa were killed by The Snap. And? BP 2 is coming prolly in 2021. Soooo. I really don't think that Wakanda is or will be destroyed. Let's see how it goes.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2019, 05:33:51 am »

Idk if that will happen, brutha. Wakanda seems to have survived Thanos, even though both Shuri and T'Challa were killed by The Snap. And? BP 2 is coming prolly in 2021. Soooo. I really don't think that Wakanda is or will be destroyed. Let's see how it goes.

Besides, they already destroyed Asgard.  And moved the remnant to a "shanty fishing village." (A friend's quote.)  They didn't destroy the city until they were done with new Thor movies.  Destruction of Wakanda probably wouldn't happen until we reach the final BP movie, and it might not happen then either--especially if the same creative crew that put it together writes that final story.

Though, I wouldn't be surprised if they have another "big battle."  Marvel movies do like those big battle scenes.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2019, 12:25:09 pm »

Besides, they already destroyed Asgard.  And moved the remnant to a "shanty fishing village." (A friend's quote.)  They didn't destroy the city until they were done with new Thor movies.  Destruction of Wakanda probably wouldn't happen until we reach the final BP movie, and it might not happen then either--especially if the same creative crew that put it together writes that final story.

Though, I wouldn't be surprised if they have another "big battle."  Marvel movies do like those big battle scenes.

COSIGN.

We're definitely going to have some big battle scenes ahead, and we're looking at monsta throwdowns in the near future. We mess around and get us THE ULTIMATES in name and mostly in roster onscreen. With the F4 and X-Men coming to Disney? Don'tbe surprised if we see AVX or even more unexpected...AVFX: Avengers vs Fantastic 4 and X-Men. Or some kind of massive multifranchise mashup combining the teams.

You wanna see a big fight? Imagine Silver Surfer and THE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY scrappin vs some major intergalactic menace...like the Skrull Empire.

Mess around and see Doom, Malekith and The Grandmaster team up...especially with The Eternals on the horizon. Wouldn't it be absolutely nuts to introduce THE STRANGER in a SILVER SURFER franchise or this here ETERNALS joint to set THE STRANGER up to be a major foe?

You know what's likely to beat all of the team vs team mashups, though? Yep. a multifranchise SECRET INVASION type storyline. That would also give us another humongous Wakanda war scene...essentially SEE WAKANDA AND DIE in the MCU.

And wouldn't it be absolutely friggin crazy to get the first Battleworld with THE BEYONDER or some such coming? And that could herald the return of Steve Rogers as Captain America or The Captain.

And we haven't even touched the kinda fun that Doctor Strange could have. Maybe reintroduce BLADE and DOCTOR VOODOO via a pair of Doctor Strange movies. And Shang Chi movies? Sounds like a good way to bring in Iron Fist, The Punisher ,and pretty much the whole DEFENDERS too.

If Shang-Chi can't do it? Remember the much overlooked and very fun ANT-MAN AND THE WASP team ups aren't going away, and they can bring in good people, too. Maybe Lunella.

If War Machine is on deck, then both Pepper Potts and ReRe Williams have a real opening here. I mean, there's lots of things that even my sleepy brain on a Sunday midafternoon can throw around. And I'm not getting paid millions todream this stuff up. The MCU heads ARE getting millions and even billions to do so. Therefore, I think we can rest assured that the future is in good hands, and we won't see Wakanda butt filleted by the movie variant of the LCBRD.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 03:59:53 pm by supreme illuminati »
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2019, 04:41:12 pm »

COSIGN.

We're definitely going to have some big battle scenes ahead, and we're looking at monsta throwdowns in the near future. We mess around and get us THE ULTIMATES in name and mostly in roster onscreen. With the F4 and X-Men coming to Disney? Don'tbe surprised if we see AVX or even more unexpected...AVFX: Avengers vs Fantastic 4 and X-Men. Or some kind of massive multifranchise mashup combining the teams.

You wanna see a big fight? Imagine Silver Surfer and THE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY scrappin vs some major intergalactic menace...like the Skrull Empire.

Mess around and see Doom, Malekith and The Grandmaster team up...especially with The Eternals on the horizon. Wouldn't it be absolutely nuts to introduce THE STRANGER in a SILVER SURFER franchise or this here ETERNALS joint to set THE STRANGER up to be a major foe?

You know what's likely to beat all of the team vs team mashups, though? Yep. a multifranchise SECRET INVASION type storyline. That would also give us another humongous Wakanda war scene...essentially SEE WAKANDA AND DIE in the MCU.

And wouldn't it be absolutely friggin crazy to get the first Battleworld with THE BEYONDER or some such coming? And that could herald the return of Steve Rogers as Captain America or The Captain.

And we haven't even touched the kinda fun that Doctor Strange could have. Maybe reintroduce BLADE and DOCTOR VOODOO via a pair of Doctor Strange movies. And Shang Chi movies? Sounds like a good way to bring in Iron Fist, The Punisher ,and pretty much the whole DEFENDERS too.

If Shang-Chi can't do it? Remember the much overlooked and very fun ANT-MAN AND THE WASP team ups aren't going away, and they can bring in good people, too. Maybe Lunella.

If War Machine is on deck, then both Pepper Potts and ReRe Williams have a real opening here. I mean, there's lots of things that even my sleepy brain on a Sunday midafternoon can throw around. And I'm not getting paid millions todream this stuff up. The MCU heads ARE getting millions and even billions to do so. Therefore, I think we can rest assured that the future is in good hands, and we won't see Wakanda butt filleted by the movie variant of the LCBRD.

I wonder about Silver Surfer, because they seemed to have placed Captain Marvel into that role.  Thinking about Endgame; practically every scene she was in, I could see the Silver Surfer in each spot.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2019, 09:28:08 pm »

COSIGN.

I wonder about Silver Surfer, because they seemed to have placed Captain Marvel into that role.  Thinking about Endgame; practically every scene she was in, I could see the Silver Surfer in each spot.

I haven't seen Endgame, but I can "see" what you mean right away. Here's of course where there are some major differences to bring up with these characters, too.

Silver Surfer brings Galactus into play. And with Galactus? Comes Annihilus, The Makers, the entire TRO cast and crew, and more.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2019, 04:17:47 pm »

COSIGN.

I donít but thatís because Iíve always found Surfer boring except for Slott/Allredís Surfer as played by Doctor Who.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2019, 05:43:18 pm »

COSIGN.

I donít but thatís because Iíve always found Surfer boring except for Slott/Allredís Surfer as played by Doctor Who.

Man, I read a really dope Surfer TPB from about 10 years ago that really touched on the strange mysteries of the universe and the mindbending breadth depth and array of powers at The Surfer's disposal. The few times I read about The Surfer in his own book or miniseries, imo the writers didn't really really really seem to know what to do with him. He seemed to be far too powerful for the threats thrown his way, and he seemed more inclined toward philosphical reflection and honorable action than anything else. That DOES pretty much make him boring in those earlier depictions. Or...even worse...they reduced his powers so that enemies like The Skrulls who normally wouldn't pose a great challenge to The Surfer were able to actually devise a clone that defeated The Surfer in a one on one battle. This is the same Surfer who effortlessly rebuilt Beta Ray Bill's hammer and caused amazement if not awe in...izzat  Odin The All-Father..?

This Silver Surfer that one artifically powered Skrull defeated? Cured THOUSANDS of beings AT THE SAME TIME...ON A MOLECULAR LEVEL...of an especially heinous and lethal virus. And Surfer did it with a mere THOUGHT.

This guy? Destroys an alien mother ship larger than Earth with a SINGLE cosmic bolt. Death Star Surfer style.

This Surfer? Reduces an avatar of Thanos to cosmic ash...because Thanos is evil and annoyed him.

Here is the Silver Surfer stopping the menacing, cosmically powerful Uni-Lord...then destroying an entire solar system. Effortlessly. With a single blast. After he warned Uni-Lord to put a cap on and back off all that evil stuff the Uni-Lord was on.

I would love to get a crack at The Surfer, but I would have to fall back and really think about the kinds of adventures that such a being would have. And I would fundamentally upgrade and/or alter certain things about Surfer that never really made sense to me weren't done already. For instance? Surfer should have cosmic level intelligence instantly, else his Cosmic Senses would overwhelm his less than cosmic intellect of a brain with the cosmic power levels of detail, saturation, speed, etc. that they bombard him with.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 05:53:59 pm by supreme illuminati »
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC: