Author Topic: Your Unpopular Black Panther Opinions Thread  (Read 3989 times)

Offline marvell2100

• Wakandans United!
    • View Profile
Re: Your Unpopular Black Panther Opinions Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 04:10:46 pm »
Mine:

As far as I'm concerned, Black Panther doesn't have any really good arch-enemies.  Klaw & Killmonger are played out.

I second this.
Black Panther. Bane of the Unfans.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 04:20:05 pm »
Random thoughts: some may be unpopular, some may be popular, most probably fall into the "who asked you?" category.

I wish the Panther had more gadgets.  Batman has Bat-this, bat-that.  I always wanted Panther to have his own Panther-tech, a wide array of devices for various use.  Yes, he would have shark repellent, also skrull revealing spray. I don't care about the 'he's not batman' criticisms.  Separate company, Marvel writers/artists can do what they want.  Why not?

I'd like to see more sea, air, land and space vehicles, and exotic weapons of various kinds, to take on large-scale threats.  No more "I see a rampaging kaiju but I can't do any more than Tarzan can... by the power of the law of the jungle!" No!!

If T'Challa is going to be single in the foreseeable future, then I'd have no problem with him having romances with various women, both new creations (female African diplomats, heads of state, corporate CEOs), as well as including "prominent" Marvel women.  In the past, 70s 80s era, it seems like he was often kind of a gelding outside of the Monica Lynne relationship (and, after his 70s series ended, he was scarcely seen in the 80s and 90s leading into the Priest reboot).  He was never truly presented as someone who could compete for the attentions of women.  In comparison, Sub-Mariner was absolutely presented as a man's man who could command the attention of the ladies and was not ashamed of his kingly swagger.  Aside from Storm and Monica Rambeau, Medusa, Jessica Jones, Mary Jane, Jean Gray, Sharon Carter, Scarlet Witch, She-Hulk, Carol Danvers, Rogue, Wasp, Elektra, Crystal, Black Widow, Tigra, Emma Frost, Mystique, Black Cat, Silver Sable, Moonstone, Power Princess, Sersi, Psylocke, Dazzler, Shadowcat, they should all want it, whether or not T'Challa is inclined to oblige.

Seems like many writers often held T'Challa to a certain Sidney Poitier-lite portrayal.  Despite being a king with his technological, political, economic, physical powers, he didn't often do anything distinctively aggressive, even when being provoked; "I'll take a vicious beating, but I'll never really 'go off' on you like you deserve...", that sort of scenario.  Righteous vengeance in the hands of a black man seemed always off the table.

Regarding villains, the animal species of Africa should be exploited more for ideas.  I'd rather not ruin my own pitch, but  I think there's a lot that could be done with that.

... where are the other African superheroes across the continent that should have come to prominence after T'challa took over after the Panther and became a "public" adventurer.  There should be many more, male and female.  Avengers Africa is needed.  Haki is the Swahili word for justice, according to Google.  I want T'Challa to lead his own team rather than being a nominal co-partner in every group.

Let's see Wakandan evangelists spreading the gospel of their religion.  Maybe it takes off like scientology.  Uh-oh... (nominal commentary on how missionaries from Europe & elsewhere got to go throughout Africa and do what they wanted-- turnabout is fair play..)

There should be a unique strategy game to Wakandans-- What does Wakandan chess look like?  This is something that could be spun off into a real-life game that could be marketed.  Hmm...

What about other sorts of games people would play?  Just like the Harry Potter series invented quidditch, there should be something that you could patch together with the wakandan technology combined with an ancient athletic contest.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 04:52:58 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 04:21:03 pm »
Mine:

As far as I'm concerned, Black Panther doesn't have any really good arch-enemies.  Klaw & Killmonger are played out.

Honestly i was thinking to myself that given the fact T'Challa deems T'Chaka the greatest BP ever (and maybe this is also viewed as when a child views their parents as invincible heroes in their eyes given their positive influence on them) but how he dies in Priest and Hudlin's version cries out for more elaboration.

I was thinking of a way to flesh it out more, Because T'Chaka not only being the king of the most advanced nation on earth therefore should have top notch security and readily available protective tech, he also ate the heart shape herb and has enhanced senses.. yet Klaw kills him. Priest version made slightly more sense because Wakanda he shows isn't as advanced as hudlins version pre T'Challa. So my theory i would explore? Klaw had help, Hell Make it so that Klaw's family has a long standing grudge with the royals (This goes back to when his great great great grand father met an unfortunate demise trying to get to Wakanda) and  ever since his family has tried (and failed) to ever get revenge for the loss of kin. So Klaw enlists help, From Eriks father, and another New and mysterious villain (i Have some ideas but i haven't fleshed them out yet, But the basics is he is a super genius and has some meta human powers as well, and he is like the puppet master) But the 3 of them plan the assassination. Eriks Father is killed, Klaw gets his hand blown off, and the other is nowhere to be seen. T'challa (Not S'Yan) banishes Erik and his mother from Wakanda (at a young age despite having just lost his father, shows wisdom beyond his years) and this drives the hate Erik has for T'Challa and makes it a little more coherent.

Years later the new villain is back at it again now that Coates (ugh) new government and all this sh*t has happened in Wakanda, the new villain finds this the perfect opportunity to try and rid Wakanda of its Royals as they are trying to settle in the changes. He forms a team of himself and 4 other super powered villains to form his death squad. He gives them some history about Wakanda (this is where i would bridge Priests and Hudlin's origins) T'Chaka was killed by Klaw (none know of this other Guy) Eriks dad was killed Eriks banished. after T'Chaka's Death, T'Challa kicked into overdrive with his studies and training to become king. Before he was of age T'Challa shows his super genius by advancing the already advanced nation of Wakanda further ahead by 100 years atleast. before taking the Challenge to face S'Yan he defeats Wakandas 6 fierces warriors and earned the right to Challenge Syan to combat.

Villain basically gives the run down before they head to Wakanda..

thats all for now but i really think the origin needs to blend a little better, and this is a good way to make the origin clearer without actually havign to completely do an Origin story again

Online CvilleWakandan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 04:27:41 pm »
Completely apropos of nothing? I just thought about thee coolest human being to ever hit the small screen.

Would love to see a nod to Hawk someairs in BP. Would love to see Avery someairs in BP. Didn't happen, of course...

After learing about Hawk, I feel that the way Priest had BP drawn was a cross between him and Wesley.

That could be an unpopular opinion: Priest BP is Hawk and not Snipes. lol
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 04:32:11 pm by CvilleWakandan »

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 04:37:48 pm »
My unpopular Black Panther opinions:

No white women for T'Challa. I mean no non Afrakan women.

The Black Panther doesn't join teams, he manipulates them.

The Dora Milaje are non royalty and traditionally consist of only two women that represent the pinnacle of Wakandan womanhood and only marry the king. The Doro Milaje are also non royalty and represent the pinnacle of Wakandan manhood, marring only the queen. The army of elite Wakandan women fighters is translated in English as Mid Night Angels.

The royal families are the M'Baku, N'Jadaka, J'Kuwali, Q'Noma and the longest ruling and current leaders... the  Bashenga. Princess Zanda ancient ancestors were Wakandan separatist who founded the nation of Narobia.

Black Panther is betrothed to Nakia and Okoye; with a back story that shows them in the same age appropriate group, growing up together under the tradition of their royal lineage. T'Challa strains both tradition and his relationship with the Dora Milaje when he marries Storm. Upon his annulment with Ororo he marries the Dora Milaje. Lots of sexual tension, romance, adventures and sex throughout T'Challa's relationship with the three of them.

No western, European, American or other non Afrakan influences or preferences are expressed in Wakanda or by Wakandans.

Wakanda is an insular, unconquered nation that is not tied to one geographical location.

Wakandans are extremely long lived.

Wakanda leads the mother/father land in political, economic and social endeavors and unifies the Afrakan continent and inspires the unification of the Afrakan diaspora.

Wakanda is the first earth nation to develop faster than light star drives and explore deep space.

T'Chaka's death occurred off world at an interstellar conference to form an alliance between the Kree, Shiar and Wakandan empires.

Afrofuturistism filtered through Afrakan Centered ideological frameworks thematically expressed in both story telling and artwork.

Wassup SI. Good lookin' out bro and thank you. Complete co-sign on A Man Called Hawk. I thought Priest used him as the template for T'Challa out of the BP habit.
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 04:46:07 pm »
Completely apropos of nothing? I just thought about thee coolest human being to ever hit the small screen.

Would love to see a nod to Hawk someairs in BP. Would love to see Avery someairs in BP. Didn't happen, of course...

DUDE that's T'Challa mayne. Like for sure out the habit

Online Beware Of Geek

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 05:12:24 pm »
There should be a unique strategy game to Wakandans-- What does Wakandan chess look like?  This is something that could be spun off into a real-life game that could be marketed.  Hmm...

Pick one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mancala

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2017, 08:03:22 am »
T'challa should have married Monica Lynn

- more on panel time with them in t'challas publication history

- complete control over the character

- no chance of divorce or annulment or editorial f*ckery

- the "she isn't a warrior" thing is BS bc neither is Ramonda. She can train and learn to throw hands if needed. Its comics. And Wakkanda does a great job training woman to fight. Plus, she is a lot tougher than people give her credit for being a damsel in distress arch type.

- tchalla wont be overshadowed in his own book by another super hero. you don't have to "explain away" why Storm or whoever can't fix the problem.

- If in 20 years they decide to kill her off... t'challa can remarry without worrying abotu someone "matching up" with her like fans are about Storm.

- no way Hudlin knew it then but no worries about MCU stuff

- you can easily impregnate her and not worry about it sidetracking other books because she isn't a superhero.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2017, 08:41:53 am »
But then he isn't apart of the premier Black power couple. That's the thing, S bad ad it can be Hudlin gave is a taste of something great. Which sucks that  the X office had Such a death grip on her. There like a child who doesn't want another kid playing with a toy that 5 min ago, didn't even care about it's existence.

It also shows how little there are of black female supers

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2017, 09:01:17 am »
I care about tchalla being the premier character period

I give two sh*ts about any premier black couple stuff. That isnt necessary to create great comics

Only 2 couples matter in comics

Reed and sue

Supes and lois

In my  [likely unpopular ] opinion of course

I dont think tchalla has to check all the boxes simply bc hes tge most popular minority chatmraxter by far

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2017, 09:37:32 am »
I care about tchalla being the premier character period

I give two sh*ts about any premier black couple stuff. That isnt necessary to create great comics

Only 2 couples matter in comics

Reed and sue

Supes and lois

In my  [likely unpopular ] opinion of course

I dont think tchalla has to check all the boxes simply bc hes tge most popular minority chatmraxter by far

This is true, Though before he settles in he needs to get out there more, I almost would say it would be cool if a certain Dora was Aged up a bit, His ride or Die girl that could be the new LI

Online Mortal Man

• When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2017, 11:12:22 am »
I honestly don't care for Black Panther to ever get married again, when it comes down to it.

For him, and within the context of comics (and not real life monarchies) I find it to be as overrated as I find Storm to be. 

What I mean is this:  T'Challa will outlive us all.  He's essentially the same age now as he was 17 years ago when he was rocking a baldy in Priest's run and sad-facing over Monica Lynn.  He'll likely be this same age 17 years from now... at which point all the young comic readers of the year 2034 will be talking about how Nakia/Lupita was his best love interest, and not no Storm or no Monica.

So my biggest thing is that he simply not be asexual. 
How many leaders you said you needed then left em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, its King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Online Mortal Man

• When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2017, 11:24:30 am »
Some older Spider-Man fans shared a gem with me a while back:

With all the outrage over MJ and Peter's marriage ending and the late gen-x /early millennial era of Spidey fans thinking MJ was "the one". the betrayal, never going to read the books again, etc... some of the older Spidey fans laughed and pointed out how whatever emotions MJ fanboys/girls were going through... Gwen Stacy fanboys/girls already been there and done that... back when they killed Gwen.  Furious letters mailed to editors (as opposed to emails and msg board rants); cries of betrayal, claiming Gwen was the one, that they would quit reading, blah blah blah.

Fast forward to 2014 and a number of millennials were looking at Andy Garfield's Amazing Spider-Man movie with one question: "Who is that blonde chick?  ??? "  lol

"She wasn't in the cartoon.."
How many leaders you said you needed then left em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, its King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2017, 03:10:59 pm »
Hmmm...how about since sometime after Cap returned in Reborn, BP, Storm and Namor have been traveling in time to rescue the real Captain America.  He left behind something like a time rement of the three of them.  Everything that has happened (doomwar, divorce, namor's attack, etc) was the remements but soon the real ones and the real Captain will return.

Offline marvell2100

• Wakandans United!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2017, 03:40:11 pm »
T'Challa doesn't have to get married but frak give him some kind of love interest. He's got to get some sexual healing.

That's not opinion. That's fact.
Black Panther. Bane of the Unfans.