Author Topic: "Beyonce w/o the Money, Fame... or Career" Monica Lynne Appreciation Thread!  (Read 8318 times)

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
Because maybe that's what she would've had if she was white.  ;) :P

Lois Lane being the world's greatest reporter.  Mary Jane Watson becoming a world famous model.  Recognized throughout all comics. That character protection when you're white and female... (but otherwise completely useless to your extremely popular main (white) character that you play the Eve to his Adam)... is epic!

But to her credit, Monica has never bleached her skin to try and get over.  This is just one of the many reasons that we appreciate her.

Terminal Objective:
Share your reasons why you appreciate Monica Lynn.

Optional Objective #1:

Share your ideas to improve upon her character

Optional Objective #2:

Share how you really feel about her.  (sweet baby bast be kind  :'()

THIS.  And everything mind of shadow said.

All they ever needed to do with Monica was work on her social justice background to make her character more serious and make her a cross between herself and the white woman Nikki from Priest's run who had a serious government job.  Actually hated how Priest treated her in that run.  Make the singing a hobby and something she loves.  Make her a congresswoman or senator.

And like I said before...if you want a committed woke Black woman who was about black issues?  Monica was always that.  From her inception.  Fans were never going to get that out of Storm that way cause its not who she ever really was.  Power couple or not, and suddenly having her be about that comes off unnatural.  Plus Monica is someone entirely made for T'Challa's world so no worrying about or backlash about taking a character from another mythology or world.

She also gives T'Challa an even more direct connection to america and african-american culture and issues...things Monica has introduced him to and inspired him to act on before.

And Ture's pics above show the beauty that their relationship has always been. 

All Monica needs is an update and a new take...they haven't "grown too far apart"...this is comics...anything can be written and old loves in real life get back together all the time.

Always thought Monica would be great and still could be with some updates and a new take.

I agree with this.

Granted, I'm personally past the point of caring for T'Challa being in a serious relationships/marriage/kids etc. The Storm stuff exhausted me of that.  But if she were a senator or big wig government official for foreign affairs, or something, then that would give her a seamless means to still be in the mytho in a more realistic capacity.  And give her a little more integrity.

If or when she appears in the MCU, I wouldn't be surprised if Coogler went with the activist/political route with her, as opposed to the beyonce without the money, fame or career route.
How many leaders you said you needed then left em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, its King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Actually, now i want her to be rich and famous multi-plat recording artist.  The premiere Marvel celebrity.  Beyonce circa crazy in love or the put a ring on it song. 

And I want her to have superpowers, gained accidentally or inhuman or something else if being inhuman is no longer the cool thing in Marvel.

And i want her to inspire people b/c they see a celebrity who can be in the trenches and is also outspoken about her activism when she isn't selling out the barclay's center.  Yup, that's what i want. 

Offline BamfingRoundTheWorld

• View Profile
So you want her to be like Dazzler?

I think making her a platinum artist would be good addition but more Lauryn Hill and less Beyonce. Preferably a Lauryn Hill who didn't drop off the radar after her first solo album.

I also think she should be introduced under another name. A stage name. But her real name still remains Monica Lynne. Tho it might just be me but I don't want her to get mixed up with the other Monica. At one point, I thought they were the same character.

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

I think making her a platinum artist would be good addition but more Lauryn Hill and less Beyonce. Preferably a Lauryn Hill who didn't drop off the radar after her first solo album.

I also think she should be introduced under another name. A stage name. But her real name still remains Monica Lynne. Tho it might just be me but I don't want her to get mixed up with the other Monica. At one point, I thought they were the same character.

Hmmm, funny thing ohhh is I heard Dazzler was originally supposed to be black or something.  But I like your point, Lauryn Hill may be better.  I just want her to be super popular , like 1st week sales that would make Adele/Taylor Swift blush.

Agree 100% on the stage name.  It actually bothers me her and Rambeau have the same name lol.  At times I actually wanted both characters to be combined.  2 birds 1 stone

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Combining them in the mcu would be perfection

Controlling weather? Upgrade time lol

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Combining them in the mcu would be perfection

Controlling weather? Upgrade time lol

She'd be better off with us than Carol.  And "upgrade" can be the title of her lead single.

Offline BamfingRoundTheWorld

• View Profile
I think if we're making her inhuman, her power could be in her voice. She can use it to trigger an asmr-like affect. Sort of like Jigglypuff in the Pokemon cartoon where everyone fell asleep every time it sang. But she could use it to trigger any emotion she wanted out of a person/people.

However, I'd be fine combining Lynne and Rambeau into one character.

Offline TomOW

• View Profile
I'm not much of a Monica Lynne fan, but her being an Inhuman would be a really interesting twist. It gives her something to do on Black Panther's adventures other than get rescued.

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I think if we're making her inhuman, her power could be in her voice. She can use it to trigger an asmr-like affect. Sort of like Jigglypuff in the Pokemon cartoon where everyone fell asleep every time it sang. But she could use it to trigger any emotion she wanted out of a person/people.

I'm not much of a Monica Lynne fan, but her being an Inhuman would be a really interesting twist. It gives her something to do on Black Panther's adventures other than get rescued.

Yup, Monica Lynne can work thrive in this generation.  She just needs us to believe in her, that's all.

She can be more than a crown-less melanin-rich princess peach

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Hmmm, funny thing ohhh is I heard Dazzler was originally supposed to be black or something.  But I like your point, Lauryn Hill may be better.  I just want her to be super popular , like 1st week sales that would make Adele/Taylor Swift blush.

Agree 100% on the stage name.  It actually bothers me her and Rambeau have the same name lol.  At times I actually wanted both characters to be combined.  2 birds 1 stone

Yeah Dazzler  are was as First supposed to resemble Grace Jones..

Dazzler was originally a project commissioned by Casablanca Records in the mid-to-late 1970s to be a cross-promotion in the mold of KISS, who had two successful comic book tie-in super-specials by the end of 1977. Marvel Comics would develop a singing superhero, while Casablanca would produce a singer. The two companies would then work with Filmworks and produce a tie-in motion picture; Marvel Comics Editor-in-Chief Jim Shooter wrote a treatment for the project.[1]

Romita, Jr. originally intended for the character to resemble model, actress, and singer Grace Jones,[2] but representatives from Filmworks wanting to promote model and actress Bo Derek insisted on design changes to reflect Derek's features
Pull List

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog

Yup, Monica Lynne can work thrive in this generation.  She just needs us to believe in her, that's all.

She can be more than a crown-less melanin-rich princess peach

and even then... how comes thats not ok for BP to have a non powered girl friend (we ain't talking marriage here, f*ck that sh*t all together) but Parker can over and over again?

They aren't there "just to get rescued" they are also there to bridge the gap between super heroes and normal people in a variety of ways. And in T'challa's case specifically, bridging the gap between royalty and non royalty, African and Black, among other things.

The story for Monica Lynn wouldn't be "oh no T'challa has to rescue her" ... it would be more of "how does Monica Lynn become respected like Ramonda (another outsider) by the Wakanda people AND by Bast herself"

Hell, you could tell an interesting story where Bast rejects her as unworthy and then Monica does something to prove her love for T'challa/Wakanda and Bast changes her mind ala like they did with Shuri.

Storm barely got respect from Wakandans (depending ont he writer) but by being a powerful bad ass. That wouldn't work for Lynn.

And that was also the problem with Storm. All the possibly interesting stuff you could do with her (she's an outsider AND a mutant who had allegiances to the Xmen/Utopia/School/whatever not just Wakanda) never really got touched because the X office wouldn't play ball and the BP side didn't have full control. So their relationship was nothing but "muh power couple." You couldn't get any depth to it because she was a shared character.

Online CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I still want a Wakandan professor or scientist LI that can talk with BP on a science level and be a partner to move Wakanda to a techno-organic civilization.

Staying up all night sipping WK fruit wine and talking science theory.

No powers needed. Give her powered body guards.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I just want her to be the Beyonce or Lauryn Hill (minus-the-crazy) of the MU.

The same way Mary Jane is the... ok i don't know any famous models besides tyra banks and the one chick who dated Seal.. of the MU

or the same way Lois Lane is like the Katie Couric, or something, of the DCU

Kamala and Miles should be going gaga every time Monica drops a new album

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
I still want a Wakandan professor or scientist LI that can talk with BP on a science level and be a partner to move Wakanda to a techno-organic civilization.

Staying up all night sipping WK fruit wine and talking science theory.

No powers needed. Give her powered body guards.

There is an opportunity here to take the "Shuri is the premier scientist of MCU Wakanda" and apply that toa  love interest instead. (but instead of #1... shes #2... behind T'challa)

Offline A.Curry

• View Profile
Ive said many times before, Monica Lynne can totally work.  Especially looking at how right now people are going crazy, and many black people specifically, are losing it over a regular American black woman (or biracial woman if you choose) marrying into the British royal family.