Author Topic: "Beyonce w/o the Money, Fame... or Career" Monica Lynne Appreciation Thread!  (Read 8319 times)

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
Because maybe that's what she would've had if she was white.  ;) :P

Lois Lane being the world's greatest reporter.  Mary Jane Watson becoming a world famous model.  Recognized throughout all comics. That character protection when you're white and female... (but otherwise completely useless to your extremely popular main (white) character that you play the Eve to his Adam)... is epic!

But to her credit, Monica has never bleached her skin to try and get over.  This is just one of the many reasons that we appreciate her.

Terminal Objective:
Share your reasons why you appreciate Monica Lynn.

Optional Objective #1:

Share your ideas to improve upon her character

Optional Objective #2:

Share how you really feel about her.  (sweet baby bast be kind  :'()

How many leaders you said you needed then left em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, its King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
I will reiterate what I said in the other thread.

T'challa should have married her.

So much more history between the two, 100% comic control, to have the on again off again finally end in marriage would have worked story telling wise, you can knock her up if needed easily because it doesn't affect other books, MCU possibilities. Also story potential of her being assimilated into the culture (hey look, a chance to highlight the difference between "black" and "Wakandan" and focus on some cool cultural stuff), learning her responsiblities as a Queen, ect.

It would have worked. And it still would have existed and not annulled because there is no money to be made annulling it. And she would have had a role of "humanizing" a character who is kinda above "normal citizen" being a super powered, blessed by a God, polymath, King of a technological advanced xenophobic warrior country.

Of course, then it isn't a "marriage of the century" power couple type thing if that is what you wanted. The potiential PEAK of Monica marriage would never ever ever ever ever ever approach the peak of Storm. BUT.. it never would have reached that valley (worldstarhiphop hood rat fight followed by "not him" sh*t) either.

The worst that would have ever happen is a villain would have Black Mantis T'challa and killed his kid and or wife. Which is still story potential lol.

Online CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
If Tchalla kept his mystic powers and moved to the plains of the Savanna to be a traditional hero around Africa and Avengers, I would appreciate Monica as a wife.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I will reiterate what I said in the other thread.

T'challa should have married her.

So much more history between the two, 100% comic control, to have the on again off again finally end in marriage would have worked story telling wise, you can knock her up if needed easily because it doesn't affect other books, MCU possibilities. Also story potential of her being assimilated into the culture (hey look, a chance to highlight the difference between "black" and "Wakandan" and focus on some cool cultural stuff), learning her responsiblities as a Queen, ect.

It would have worked. And it still would have existed and not annulled because there is no money to be made annulling it. And she would have had a role of "humanizing" a character who is kinda above "normal citizen" being a super powered, blessed by a God, polymath, King of a technological advanced xenophobic warrior country.

Of course, then it isn't a "marriage of the century" power couple type thing if that is what you wanted. The potiential PEAK of Monica marriage would never ever ever ever ever ever approach the peak of Storm. BUT.. it never would have reached that valley (worldstarhiphop hood rat fight followed by "not him" sh*t) either.

You sir, have the vision Monica was deprived of.

She's not even my favorite Monica but she could've been.  She'd have been the disney princess for these lil black and brown girls.  That or Beyonce.  Or both.  Disney Princess + Beyonce = OMG

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
I dont even realky like her

But, long term she may have benefitted tchalla more than a superheroine dye to office politics

Offline marvell2100

• Wakandans United!
    • View Profile
I think Monica served her time. She grounded T'Challa but they've gone too far apart. She could be a love interest for Luke Cage and end that debacle with JJ.
Black Panther. Bane of the Unfans.

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Make her NuInhuman
Pull List

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Monica

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline A.Curry

• View Profile
Because maybe that's what she would've had if she was white.  ;) :P

Lois Lane being the world's greatest reporter.  Mary Jane Watson becoming a world famous model.  Recognized throughout all comics. That character protection when you're white and female... (but otherwise completely useless to your extremely popular main (white) character that you play the Eve to his Adam)... is epic!

But to her credit, Monica has never bleached her skin to try and get over.  This is just one of the many reasons that we appreciate her.

Terminal Objective:
Share your reasons why you appreciate Monica Lynn.

Optional Objective #1:

Share your ideas to improve upon her character

Optional Objective #2:

Share how you really feel about her.  (sweet baby bast be kind  :'()

THIS.  And everything mind of shadow said.

All they ever needed to do with Monica was work on her social justice background to make her character more serious and make her a cross between herself and the white woman Nikki from Priest's run who had a serious government job.  Actually hated how Priest treated her in that run.  Make the singing a hobby and something she loves.  Make her a congresswoman or senator.

And like I said before...if you want a committed woke Black woman who was about black issues?  Monica was always that.  From her inception.  Fans were never going to get that out of Storm that way cause its not who she ever really was.  Power couple or not, and suddenly having her be about that comes off unnatural.  Plus Monica is someone entirely made for T'Challa's world so no worrying about or backlash about taking a character from another mythology or world.

She also gives T'Challa an even more direct connection to america and african-american culture and issues...things Monica has introduced him to and inspired him to act on before.

And Ture's pics above show the beauty that their relationship has always been. 

All Monica needs is an update and a new take...they haven't "grown too far apart"...this is comics...anything can be written and old loves in real life get back together all the time.

Always thought Monica would be great and still could be with some updates and a new take.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:19:38 am by A.Curry »

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I think Monica served her time. She grounded T'Challa but they've gone too far apart. She could be a love interest for Luke Cage and end that debacle with JJ.
I think she got left behind while T'Challa was allowed to be revamped and modernized in '98.  Yea she was a part of that run but as A.Curry suggested, Monica could've been a powerful government or political figure (who gets herself in trouble/assassination attempts by going up against the worst of the worst domestically and globally)... or, like I humored, she could've been the beyonce/adele of the marvel u; the most popular singer adored by the whole comic community. 

I would've gone one of those two lanes.. basically i would've treated her creatively like white folks treat lois and mj. But she's pretty much been kept basic, and then more or less used as a way to prop up Storm.  Only to then have the BP mytho lookin a fool once Storm was snatched away

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The only good thing about CJP Monica was her hair, CJP one of the greatest writers of all of time in any, but witting love/rships happy/long term he is not who u want imo

To further elaborate on Monica being a New Inhuman..

Marvel half ass the Inhumans/NuInhumans push..When it came to creating characters & concepts 

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_New_Inhumans

Great : Ms.Marvel, Moon Girl, Mosaic, Kaiju & Toxie Doxie

Good/could be better : Iso, Flint (& his family/kingdom), Reader (who shouldn't been created as white or just white), Inferno, Auran, Lash/his kingdom (who they should draw more like Blair Underwood), Blindspot & Synapse

Crystal : leading a team of Nuinhumans good idea
Quake : making her a inhuman good idea
Toro : good idea small fan base/few living fans sadly

Not well thought out : Sarah Garza, Ren Kimura , Mark Sims, Iron Coss & so many more.

Not enuff development: Naja, the other Kingdoms, Banyan, Kraven the Hunter Grid, Nur, Swain, Hub & Downer,
(And Ewing over here using Nohvarr)

What they should've done was make/recon a supporting characters (who used to be lead/main characters in books ) from various franchises as nuinhumans : so these characters would have a place to develop, home base (when a book in cancel) & have already (some cases very small) build in fan base..

Avengers : Mockingbird or Tigra
BP : Monica L or Kasper or QDJ
DS : Wong
Deadpool : his daugther
MU (Hulk,SP,Cap & etc): Cloak/Dagger, Rick Jones
S.H.I.E.L.D. : Quake
X-Men : Moonstar or Wind Dancer or Shola Inkose
Carol Danvers : Anya Corazon & few more interesting characters..
Thor : thunderstrike
Invaders : Toro

Then they should launch a team book with Quake & Crystal : co leading
Cloak & Dagger, Moonstar, Anya Corazon & 2 new characters..
Have BP & Monica guest star in said book (after Monica re developed in BP) & have join later..
Pull List

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Yea, they probably need to relaunch her as an Inhuman.  Because yall clearly don't give a damn about appreciateing her as is  >:(  :P

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
Monica was my girl, they were engaged forever it seems. Remember reading Deathlok and Captain America comics in which they were engaged
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
I yhink monicas fine.

Nit every love interest serves all roles

Her role in comics isnt super powered ass beater

Hers is an outsider from humble beginnings who csught tge attention if a king.

Shes pre hammer Jane foster, not Sif

Tchalla has plenty of powered LI

Now if this is mcu thats different

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I forgot i made this.

I must have been inebriated when i came up with the title.  6/10.
I expect better of myself