Poll

What was your most memorable "humanizing" moment for T'Challa? (Pick 3)

Doom kicking his ass
1 (20%)
Crying like a baby to his dead dad disowning him
0 (0%)
The Wolverine/Storm cuckhold thing
2 (40%)
Denouncing himself as an awful king unfit to rule, who never wanted to rule
2 (40%)
Propping up Doom for the nanities he used while invading Wakanda and killing his uncle
0 (0%)
Apparently not saving the universe with the reality gem
0 (0%)
Apparently abandoning Shuri in battle as opposed to her stubbornly forfeiting her life for no reason
0 (0%)
Changaroo sneak dissing him during the 'unite Wakanda' speech, that only he could apparently give
0 (0%)
Being super excited to see Captain America everytime (Bendis)
0 (0%)
Slipping on a pebble and dying that one time (also Bendis)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: "Humanizing T'Challa" Appreciation/Unappreciation Thread  (Read 12589 times)

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
Re: "Humanizing T'Challa" Appreciation/Unappreciation Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2017, 03:18:27 pm »
Correction: Henry Dumas' sweet ass poetry. 8)

Thanks for the correction!
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2017, 03:28:08 pm »
Funny thing is Coates claims he has to fo Right by Tchalla, and spends 95% of the Story throwing shade,
then has his spin off join in o. The shade throwing and in the end his story is sh*t. Issue 13 is still mediocre. It's just Better then everything that came before it in S1.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2017, 03:47:12 pm »

Coates says that the idea of a more fallible, human king of Wakanda flows directly from previous storylines. “I am really taking seriously what people did before me,” he said. “If Achebe did rule that country for a period of time. If KIllmonger actually did kill the King, if Morlun did cut a swath through that country and kill M’Baku and a bunch of other people, if Doom did plot with the Desturi and overthrow the government and damn near did kill T’Challa himself, if Shuri and him did have this break and Dora Milaje did turn their back on him, if Namor did perpetrate this holocaust... what would that country look like after all of that?”

If I started with this premise (and I could see it) I would not arrive within 10 miles of Coates's story.  His approach is not the natural conclusion of that premise.  Mine would be about king, queen  and nation rising strong.  (How?  No idea, but it would be 180 degrees from what we got.

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2017, 06:22:32 pm »

We all know. T'Challa was the take no isht, pimp slapper who beat Magneto, Sabretooth, Wolverine, broke Red Skulls jaw, ripped Mephisto's heart out and was ready to fight three wars at once.

Some folks just weren't comfortable with that. Hence we get the Mary Sue comments when other characters had similar feats with no such comments.

Badass Black Dude Syndrome.

Thus began the watering down of the Black Panther. Luke Cage suffered a similar fate once he got married.

I cram to understand why y'all are surprised at Coates?

His agenda was clearly laid out before the first issue of his Black Panther dropped.

It was as clear as day to me.

Some if y'all chose to believe otherwise.

Are you two... insinuating ...that the whole "humanizing T'Challa" is a grand hoax, a lie perpetuated by the vocal minority who are only invested in Storm, Ayo, Aneka, Shuri, Misty, Doom, Reed and agendas outside the actual elevation of T'Challa?  Hence why sales plummet but excuses still fester?

How many leaders you said you needed then left ‘em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, it’s King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2017, 06:31:11 pm »
Too bad we can only pick three. I wanna click on all the choices.

I feel like I let Nas down by not applying the proper customization to the poll  :(

Ezyo, is there anything I or a mod can do about this? 

It is a disservice to everyone on this board that they are limited to one option when the whole purpose of this experiment was to have an accumulative consolidated grading scale of T'Challa's most amazing humanizing portrayals in his post Priest-Hudlin existence.

I'm frankly embarrassed at myself for this misstep.   

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2017, 07:11:08 pm »

Coates says that the idea of a more fallible, human king of Wakanda flows directly from previous storylines. “I am really taking seriously what people did before me,” he said. “If Achebe did rule that country for a period of time. If KIllmonger actually did kill the King, if Morlun did cut a swath through that country and kill M’Baku and a bunch of other people, if Doom did plot with the Desturi and overthrow the government and damn near did kill T’Challa himself, if Shuri and him did have this break and Dora Milaje did turn their back on him, if Namor did perpetrate this holocaust... what would that country look like after all of that?”

If I started with this premise (and I could see it) I would not arrive within 10 miles of Coates's story.  His approach is not the natural conclusion of that premise.  Mine would be about king, queen  and nation rising strong.  (How?  No idea, but it would be 180 degrees from what we got.
Bingo.

Here's a pure hypothetical: 

What if a war-bound Hulk took over America briefly, and Norman Osborne became director of shield, and then the Skrulls nearly took over the world and devastated NYC, then Asgard nearly destroyed the midwest and Sentry turned into the biblical manifestation of death and plague in America's backyard, only for Thanos to then invade earth to kill his inhuman son, but only after the phoenix force possessed a handful of militant mutants with the intention of quasi world domination.. and the 10 other semiannual extinction-level events that takes place in America... what would America look like after that?

Well, it looked like another Tuesday after T'Challa restored their universe from another extinction level event. 

The way i see it,  you can't say "What if Morlun did this and that..." without also acknowledging Morlun was defeated and the day was saved.  You can't talk about all the times _____ was knocked down without acknowledging all the times that same _______ stood back up stronger than ever.  Resilient as ever.  Defiant as ever.

Every Bendis event starts with a school bus full of children or a packed NFL stadium gettin blown the fuk up... and it doesn't get lamented on 10 years after the fact as a means to "humanize" Captain America.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2017, 09:23:40 pm »

I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Kasper Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2017, 09:35:09 pm »
Typically anyone that is now claiming they like T'Challa more because he's more "humanized" are people that never read his stories in the first place.

They might know of a scanned page here and there but they've never read the stories.

There's no way in hell you can read Priest, Hudlin, or Liss and come away thinking T'Challa was some flawless character.

It's funny how T'Challa shares many of the same qualities as Batman, but you NEVER hear anyone claim batman needs to be "humanized" or that he lacks character flaws.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2017, 09:53:02 pm »
Typically anyone that is now claiming they like T'Challa more because he's more "humanized" are people that never read his stories in the first place.

They might know of a scanned page here and there but they've never read the stories.

There's no way in hell you can read Priest, Hudlin, or Liss and come away thinking T'Challa was some flawless character.

It's funny how T'Challa shares many of the same qualities as Batman, but you NEVER hear anyone claim batman needs to be "humanized" or that he lacks character flaws.
Exactly. This whole "humanized" is code for emasculated. Because Real BP fans see through the bullsh*t and know what crap is trying to be pulled

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2017, 10:19:53 pm »
Interesting.

Why does T'Challa have to be humanized but not Batman?  ???

Sure ppl complain about the prep time thing but that's more so for not wanting other flagship characters to get embarrassed by Batman (i.e. Superman, Hal Jordan).  There's no actual desire for Batman himself to be 'humanized' so to be more "relatable".

There's no desire to make Batman into someone's Spider-Man.

But it seems Black Panther doesn't get to play by those same rules.

Why is that?

Is it because he's black?   ???

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2017, 10:23:51 pm »

Exactly. This whole "humanized" is code for emasculated. Because Real BP fans see through the bullsh*t and know what crap is trying to be pulled

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2017, 11:46:05 pm »

EXACTLY
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline marvell2100

• Wakandans United!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2017, 12:22:03 pm »
We BP all know that humanizing BP isn't the issue. Priest and R Hudlin humanized him.

They both gave him empathy, sympathy, loss, failure happiness, superiority and arrogance. If that isn't a run on the full gamut of human emotion then I don't know what is.

All one has to do is read what each of them has contributed to BP as writers. Sadly as we all know, there at those who don't read the books they so love to criticize.
Black Panther. Bane of the Unfans.

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2017, 09:18:31 pm »
I don't want to jinx it but I really can't envision a 3rd season of Coates on this book.  I think humanized T'Challa is a failure and sales remind us of that every month.

I think this reality isn't lost on Coates or Marvel and they need to start working on his exit strategy to Steve Roger's world while also gearing up the next writer to take the reigns.

Speaking of Steve Rogers, I read Secret Empire #5 and I think asshole T'Challa is the way to go.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2017, 09:29:19 pm »
I don't want to jinx it but I really can't envision a 3rd season of Coates on this book.  I think humanized T'Challa is a failure and sales remind us of that every month.

I think this reality isn't lost on Coates or Marvel and they need to start working on his exit strategy to Steve Roger's world while also gearing up the next writer to take the reigns.

Speaking of Steve Rogers, I read Secret Empire #5 and I think asshole T'Challa is the way to go.
To an extent in regards to asshole Tchalla. He should be a balance between Priest assholish and Hudlins charismatic.. basically he should be McDuffies Panther. A nice blend of Priest and Hudlin through and through, from Tech and preplanning to ass kicking and  intellect McDuffies version is the ideal in terms of using the best of both worlds,
because Tchalla was Kinda an asshole but not totally either cause he still had that charismatic charm about him.

God I wish we could of gotten a McDuffie Solo.