Author Topic: Reginald Hudlin to Direct Valiantís Shadowman Movie  (Read 304 times)

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
Reginald Hudlin to Direct Valiantís Shadowman Movie
« on: June 13, 2017, 08:20:16 am »
Reggie doing Valiant a Shadowman. Tell me I'm not seeing things!

http://www.superherohype.com/news/399047-reginald-hudlin-to-direct-valiants-shadowman-movie

The Valiant Comics cinematic universe continues to expand as The Hollywood Reporter brings word that Reginald Hudlin will direct the film version of Shadowman, revising a 2012 script by J. Michael Straczynski with Salem showrunner Adam Simon.

Hudlin made a name for himself in the í90s directing comedies like Boomerang, House Party and The Ladies Man, then shifted to television work. Heíll make a return to directing with the Thurgood Marshall biopic Marshall starring Chadwick Boseman, and he also produced Quentin Tarantinoís Django Unchained. In addition, he has background as a comic book writer, including a run on Marvelís ďBlack Panther.Ē

Created in 1992 by writers Jim Shooter and Steve Englehart along with artist Mike Manley, Shadowman is a saxophone player named Jack Boniface who chooses the wrong woman to go home with one night and wakes up the next morning with enhanced abilities. After taking on the mantle of ďShadowman,Ē Jack uses his enhanced strength, speed, regeneration ability and the ability to see in the dark to fight supernatural crime in New Orleans, including monsters, zombies, and the necromancer Master Darque. Acclaim Entertainment released several Shadowman video games in the late í90s and early 2000s.

In the planned film, the forces of darkness are determined to claim New Orleans as their own, and Jack Boniface must accept the legacy he was born to uphold, in order to stop them. As Shadowman, Jack is about to become the only thing that stands between his city and an army of unspeakable monstrosities from beyond the night. He must pay a high price and master his new abilities before Master Darque brings down the wall between reality and the eldritch darkness of the Deadside.

The Sean Daniel Companyís Sean Daniel and Jason Brown will produce Shadowman with Valiant Entertainmentís Dinesh Shamdasani, and the film will be developed in-house before going out to studios.

In the Valiant movie world, movement is also afoot on an Archer & Armstrong movie with Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland, Gangster Squad) attached to direct with Terry Rossio (Pirates of the Caribbean franchise) to write the film as an action comedy. It was also recently announced that Sonyís Bloodshot movie had added Dave Wilson of Blur Studios to direct, with Academy Award-nominated writer Eric Heisserer (Arrival, The Thing) penning the script. Heisserer is also writing another of the Sony/Valiant features, Harbinger. It was previously reported that Sony was hoping to develop two films in the respective Bloodshot and Harbinger franchises before crossing them over with a Harbinger War feature film, though it remains to be seen if those plans remain or will in fact materialize.

Read more at http://www.superherohype.com/news/399047-reginald-hudlin-to-direct-valiants-shadowman-movie#7Gtu6A7sqyodZzmE.99

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 12:22:58 pm by Marvelous »

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline CvilleWakandan

• View Profile
Re: Hudlin's Shadowman
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 09:33:12 am »
Looks like a comic to check out.

Offline Michael Jewett

• View Profile
Re: Hudlin's Shadowman
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 02:44:46 pm »
Looks like a comic to check out.

By all means YES!

Valiant has some strong titles. I'm only familiar with the books from the re-launch era. Shadowman is a winner.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
Re: Reginald Hudlin to Direct Valiantís Shadowman Movie
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 11:43:04 am »
Wasn't Ice Cube attached to star in this back in the day?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 03:48:25 pm »
Wasn't Ice Cube attached to star in this back in the day?

I remember this news.  I forget how many years ago.  Circa 2000?

Anyway, kudos for Mr. Reggie!  I hope for some announcements soon.  Maybe an open casting call?  Hmmm...     ;)
I have a feeling that Mr. Reggie will get to do with Shadowman what could have been done with Dr. Voodoo @ Marvel, but for whatever reason, the MCU has not seen fit yet to give Jericho Drumm a role yet.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 03:53:36 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 02:04:22 pm »
Very cool. Congrats!

Valiant Comics gets slept on but they put out some solid work with some nicely put together books. And their graphic novels are generally affordable.

I haven't always liked how they've depicted Shadowman but hopefully RH's version will correct those missteps.