Author Topic: Do you read newuniversal?  (Read 8293 times)

Offline Yaw

• Brother Voodoo (Papa Vodu)- The Foundation
    • View Profile
Do you read newuniversal?
« on: February 18, 2007, 11:09:45 am »
Ellis seems to be introducing a supertech European civilization that existed during Biblical times.  I'm waiting to see how this will play out in the series and fan reaction.  Considering how "hard" it is to accept Wakanda as an advanced tech nation compared to Western nations.  I wonder how an advanced tech European nation hundreds of years before modern times will be accepted.

The hypocrisy continues...

Offline Static Froggy

• View Profile
Re: Do you read newuniversal?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 11:11:37 am »
The concepts of wakanda and this ciivilization amaze me. then again I just like to read

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 07:58:03 am »
Agreed.  The artist is Larocca and he was also on Xtreme Xmen....one of the reasons this book caught my attention.  Interesting that no one challeges this idea but its sells are not that high either.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 08:13:05 am »
I passed on this book beause I don't really care for Ellis anymore.  I used to love him with the Authority and Planetary, but lately his stuff just seems recycled.  While I like Desolation Jones, I can't remember anythign else he has done in the last 5 years that I enjoyed.

Offline aric_dacia

• View Profile
    • Official Homepage of Author Barry Reese
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 12:05:58 pm »
I bought the first two issues but they did nothing for me. I can't remember the last time Ellis wrote something I liked....

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 02:05:14 pm »
i used to get the new universe issues back in the day..they were very entertaining. I haven't gotten around to the new title, but i will. I've flipped through the books and the art is amazing and from what i'm hearing, the story is pretty good too.

Offline Gooch

• The only thing that is not common is sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 06:44:25 am »
well we do know that skep was the main force behind the disbelief of a highly advanced african civilization
the game is messed up,  singers want to be gansters, gangsters want to be rappers, and rappers want to  be actors

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 11:06:53 am »
well we do know that skep was the main force behind the disbelief of a highly advanced african civilization

Who or what is skep?

Offline Yaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 02:34:00 pm »

Who or what is skep?

lovecrafty=skepticultis

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 02:46:56 pm »
I passed on this book beause I don't really care for Ellis anymore.  I used to love him with the Authority and Planetary, but lately his stuff just seems recycled.  While I like Desolation Jones, I can't remember anythign else he has done in the last 5 years that I enjoyed.

Have you read FELL? It's a police procedural.

It's also 16 pgs and 1.99 a copy. I enjoy the book but I'd buy it anyway just to support the cheaper format.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 06:43:31 pm »

It's also 16 pgs and 1.99 a copy. I enjoy the book but I'd buy it anyway just to support the cheaper format.

Maybe I'll giver it a shot.  The last straw for Ellis with me was Nextwave.  I know it has fans, but Monica and Boomer/Meltdown/etc. were not acting like the characters I know and love.

Offline Yaw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 09:17:27 pm »

Maybe I'll giver it a shot.  The last straw for Ellis with me was Nextwave.  I know it has fans, but Monica and Boomer/Meltdown/etc. were not acting like the characters I know and love.

Despite what this post is about, I like the book thus far.  ;D

Offline Hulkster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 08:10:04 am »
Ellis seems to be introducing a supertech European civilization that existed during Biblical times.  I'm waiting to see how this will play out in the series and fan reaction.  Considering how "hard" it is to accept Wakanda as an advanced tech nation compared to Western nations.  I wonder how an advanced tech European nation hundreds of years before modern times will be accepted.

The hypocrisy continues...

Well, it is actually an advanced city-state and this advancement resulted from a handful of metahumans.  Apparently when they passed on, the inhabitants were unable to maintain it.  It would be cool if they revealed that there were other similarly advanced cities in other, non-European, lands such as the Americas or southern Africa. 

Despite what this post is about, I like the book thus far.

I am so far really enjoying this book.  It's like a combination 2001 SPACE ODDYSEY and HEROES.  The way I see it, this is an Ultimate New Universe and pretty interesting. 

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 11:08:33 am »
has Maxam shown up yet?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Yaw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 12:20:56 pm »
hes not in the newuniverse.  I was just looking at infinity crusade and he's a prominent character in that storyline.  He singlehandedly whoops Hercules and Invisible Woman in it.