Author Topic: Presidential Pardons  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Presidential Pardons
« on: November 25, 2008, 08:57:34 am »
talk about curveballs...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/nov/25/george-bush-pardons-john-forte

;D John Forte' is free!  Now don't screw it up, brother..

...what about Mumia?  ;)
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Presidential Pardons
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 09:29:36 am »
I just knew Michael Milken, the Wall Street junk bond trader was gonna get a pardon.

-but-
...will Marion Jones' request for a pardon go ignored?

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 03:41:37 pm »
Not only do US Presidents grant pardons but US Governors can grant at least one turkey a pardon.

only...

The rest of them have to go through the meat grinder! 
Happy Thanksgiving!

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 08:01:30 am »
talk about curveballs...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/nov/25/george-bush-pardons-john-forte

;D John Forte' is free!  Now don't screw it up, brother..

He should never have been in there for 15 years in the first place. EVEN if he was guilty (which he probably wasn't). We are taking about a nonviolent first offense here.  But since it was drugs(and let's face it a brother) it let lock the miscreant away for a decade and a half. The Rockerfeller Laws have to go.

...what about Mumia?  ;)

Alleged cop killer. He's NEVER getting out.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 09:07:13 am »
It'll take Obama to get Leonard Peltier out. 

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 10:54:19 am »
say... I wonder will G.W. pardon 'himself'?

http://www.freep.com/article/20081125/COL10/81125018/?imw=Y

...would impeachment now make the dems look like 'sore winners'?
go for it, go for it, go for it, go for it..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 11:07:14 am »
It'll take Obama to get Leonard Peltier out. 

Hell yeah.  It would never happen though.  Obama needs the FBI, and I'm sure them, and most cops in general would riot if Peltier ever got pardoned. 

Never mind all the Native Americans who got killed that day in the crossfire.  Some of those deaths were never properly investigated.  Since there is no statue on limitations on murder maybe Obama's new attorney general could reopen an investigation into the entire incident.  Again though, the likleyhood of that happening is also nil...  >:( :(

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 11:43:33 am »
I thought that was the point of granting pardons you leave office was to do it without consequences.

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 12:39:24 pm »
I thought that was the point of granting pardons you leave office was to do it without consequences.

true, I think reopening the investigation would go over better than a straight pardon.  Proving the cat innocent (which I believe he is) would make them crackers eat their sh*t, then again, the cat has been unfairly imprisoned for 30 years.  I dunno, from a political standpoint I think a straight pardon would be bad from a political standpoint.  Yeah, I know, I'm usually not one for playing the game, but, I dunno.  I'm just sayin'...

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 01:53:51 pm »

true, I think reopening the investigation would go over better than a straight pardon.  Proving the cat innocent (which I believe he is) would make them crackers eat their sh*t, then again, the cat has been unfairly imprisoned for 30 years.  I dunno, from a political standpoint I think a straight pardon would be bad from a political standpoint.  Yeah, I know, I'm usually not one for playing the game, but, I dunno.  I'm just sayin'...

The only way that goes down is if Obama does it in the closing days of his presidency. And even then, he'd have to consider the considerable backlash the Democratic Party would get from Law enforcement. Nobody is going to protest when guys like John Forte, Mike Milken and a bunch of nameless drug dealers and Eagle-Poisoners(I'm not kidding) get sprung. But there were 500 protesters outside the White House when they just THOUGHT Clinton might do it. Springing that guy outright would brand the Dems as the party of Cop-Haters for the next decade. At least.

The best that could be done for Peltier and Mumia (who is most likely guilty)for that matter is a retrial.

J.R. LeMar

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 07:14:29 pm »
Yeah, I don't see that happening either, for all the reasons Vic said.
Peltier is slightly more likely, but I doubt it. But I'm definitely positive that Mumia won't get pardoned. Not even if it's in the last days of Barack Hussein Obama's second term. I think that, in addition to wanting to do a great job, he's aware of his potential legacy as The First Black President. He's not going to want to do anything to damage the party or any future Black candidates. The best I could see is that MAYBE he could commute Mumia's sentence to life without parole, but even that is a stretch.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 03:37:31 pm »
Thursday, 20th August 2o2o
Susan B. Anthony Museum Rejects Individual-1's Pardon Of The Suffragist
by Neda Ulaby

On Tuesday, Individual-1 officially pardoned leading suffragist Susan B. Anthony, who died in 1906.

He noted she was arrested in 1872 for voting before it was legal for women to do so.

"She was never pardoned!" he exclaimed in a Executive Mansion ceremony.

"Did you know that she was never pardoned? What took so long?"

Well, it was partly that Anthony would not have wanted to be pardoned, according to some historians who've pointed out that the activist did not think she'd done anything wrong.

Joining those voices is the executive director of the National Susan B. Anthony Museum and House in Rochester, N.Y.

"Objection! _________, Susan B. Anthony must decline your offer of a pardon," Deborah L. Hughes wrote in a statement.

She continued:

"Anthony wrote in her diary in 1873 that her trial for voting was 'The greatest outrage History ever witnessed.' She was not allowed to speak as a witness in her own defense, because she was a woman. At the conclusion of arguments, Judge Hunt dismissed the jury and pronounced her guilty. She was outraged to be denied a trial by jury. She proclaimed, 'I shall never pay a dollar of your unjust penalty.' To pay would have been to validate the proceedings. To pardon Susan B. Anthony does the same."

Hughes pointed to Anthony's support of sex education, fair labor practices, excellent public education, equal pay for equal work and elimination of all forms of discrimination.

She suggested that the best way to honor Anthony would be taking a clear stance against voter suppression and advocating for human rights for all.