Author Topic: Jurors in Bill Cosby's trial say they are deadlocked  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Jurors in Bill Cosby's trial say they are deadlocked
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 12:54:09 pm »
Saturday, 20th April 2019
Bill Cosby's Lawyer Charging Him $1 Million Per Month for Defense

by Gary Trock

Bill Cosby may be blind, but he says he sees it clear as day that he was getting gouged by his legal counsel for millions and now he’s going after them to get his money back.

According to documents obtained by The Blast, Bill Cosby filed a petition Friday afternoon to vacate an arbitration award given to his former law firm of Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan.

Quinn Emanuel represented Cosby in parts of his criminal case, and in 10 different cases related to sexual assault filed by his accusers including Janice Dickinson and Chloe Goins.

They bowed out of representing the comedian back in 2016, but have been fighting in arbitration over attorneys fees, and in January 2019 they were awarded $2.4 million.

Now the shocking part, Cosby claims his lawyers charged him close to $9 MILLION dollars in just over 9 MONTHS!

The breakdown, according to the documents, includes $8,550,645.50 for 11,205 hours of work in the 9-months they represented Cosby, and employed 28 attorneys across 5 cities to handle the workload.

That averages out to close to $1 million per month.

Cosby is also claiming he did not know the ins and outs of the agreement with the lawyers, and blaming much of the confusion on his blindness.

The incarcerated comedian says he was unable to read the contract with the lawyers, and claims nobody ever read or explained it to him.

The law firm argued this was a huge case to handle, claiming, “The amount at stake was monumental.

Cosby retained Quinn to represent him in a criminal case which he faced the possibility of what would effectively be life imprisonment, along with the loss of his legacy and reputation.

He also faced exposure to substantial and punitive damages in civil cases.” The firm added,

“At one point three of his accusers demanded that Cosby establish a 100 Million dollar fund to pay settlements.”

According to the contract, Cosby was charged legal fees upwards of $1,175 per hour, and now he’s questioning just exactly who the heck was racking up all those hours on his case … especially when he ended up paying out settlements to the women and is now spending the next few years in prison.

Cosby said the reason he was fighting the law firm is because, “Quinn Emanuel’s staffing decisions and billing practices were egregious and resulted in fee that were totally and completely unconscionable.”

Cosby also believes Quinn Emanuel had a conflict of interest by having a longstanding relationship representing AIG, his insurance company who has been cutting deals with the women, much to Cosby’s dismay.

Further, Cosby and his legal team believe the law firm “engaged in financial abuse of an elder,” by taking advantage of an 81-year-old blind man.

Cosby wants a judge to assign the arbitration to be reheard with a new arbitrator and to collect $4 million dollars in damages from his old law firm for the entire ordeal.

Would You Like to Know More?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/bill-cosby-sues-lawyers-for-charging-him-shocking-dollar1-million-per-month-for-defense/ar-BBW7yrl?ocid=spartanntp

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 12:36:02 pm »
Wednesday, 24th April 2019
Bill Cosby attacks his trial judge – again – in new effort to get out of jail on appeal
by Maria Puente

Convicted sexual predator Bill Cosby, raging from his Pennsylvania prison cell, is attacking his trial judge – again – in his latest effort to get out on bail while his case is being appealed.

Cosby's team of appellate lawyers said Wednesday they will file an application seeking Cosby's release immediately while he awaits his appeal of his conviction in April 2018 on three sexual-assault charges.

Cosby, who has been demanding he be released on bail since he was sentenced to three to 10 years in September, once again cited similar grounds, including his age (81), his health (he's legally blind), his lack of a prior criminal record and the unlikelihood of his being a danger to the community.

Once again, he attacked his trial judge, Steven O'Neill, as biased against him due to a convoluted alleged conflict of interest that Cosby has bitterly complained about since O'Neill presided over his first trial in 2017.

Now his lawyers have added a new complaint:

O'Neill has not yet officially explained his reasons for sentencing Cosby, as required in Pennsylvania, thus delaying the appellate court's review of his conviction and sentence.

And for good measure, Cosby released to USA TODAY a public statement through his spokesman, Andrew Wyatt, in which he accused O'Neill of "racial hatred."

"We’re asking that this scandalous judge be removed immediately, and Mr. Cosby be granted bail throughout the appeals process, because the judge’s racial hatred towards Mr. Cosby, clouds his better judgement to be a good steward of the bench," the statement said.

His lawyers, Brian Perry and Kristen Weisenberger of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, said in their brief that Cosby has raised "meritorious issues" in his appeal.

"This court should grant Mr. Cosby bail in light of his age, health, and high chances of success on appeal," the motion said.

"Furthermore, bail is appropriate where the trail court has refused to timely issue his (sentencing opinion), prejudicing Mr. Cosby's right to a reasonably timely appeal."

Stacey Witalec, a spokeswoman for the court administrator's office in Montgomery County, where Cosby was convicted of a 2004 sex assault in his nearby home, said she is looking into whether O'Neill has filed a brief yet on his sentencing decision or when one is expected.

The county's district attorney, Kevin Steele, who prosecuted Cosby in two trials, doesn't comment on such motions since prosecutors don't decide on sentences.

That left the field open to Cosby and Wyatt who told USA TODAY he is the only person outside family who can visit Cosby regularly in SCI Phoenix, a maximum security prison in Collegeville, about 20 miles from Philadelphia.

Judging from his latest statement, Cosby is still raging at his fate and at his judge.

All of his previous motions and demands to be released from prison have failed.

He continues to push a discredited theory that O'Neill should not have been in charge of his case due to an ancient political rivalry with an important Cosby defense witness at both his trials.

"(O’Neill) continues to show his disgust and prejudice towards Mr. Cosby," the Cosby statement said.

"...His refusal to write an opinion reveals that he’s complicit in the corruption against me, and that he’s an accessory to the incestuous behavior that resides in Montgomery County."

Cosby said O'Neill's "dishonorable conduct" is designed to "destroy Any Black Man and/or Colored Man In America. I’m just so happy, because this guy is proving my innocence."

After his first trial resulted in a hung jury, Cosby was convicted in 2018 of drugging and molesting his friend and Temple University protegee, Andrea Constand, during a 2004 encounter at his Montgomery County home.

Since October 2014, some five dozen women have accused Cosby of drugging and/or molesting them in encounters dating back to the mid-1960s and in multiple states, but the Constand allegation was the only criminal case brought against him.

Steele charged Cosby in December 2015, just before the state's statute of limitations was due to run out and after he was elected county district attorney following a campaign in which Cosby was an issue.

Would You Like To Know More?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2019/04/24/bill-cosby-jail-trial-judge-attack-appeal/3561491002/

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 02:13:05 pm »
Monday, 29th April 2019
Appeals Court Denies Bill Cosby's Latest Bid For Bail

by Associated Press

(HARRISBURG, Pa.) — An appeals court has denied Bill Cosby's latest effort to be released from prison on bail while he fights his sex-assault conviction.

Lawyers for the 81-year-old comedian had renewed their bail motion in a filing last week with Pennsylvania Superior Court.

They say Cosby is likely to have his conviction overturned because of trial errors.

The defense complained that Montgomery County Judge Steven O'Neill hasn't yet issued a post-trial opinion explaining key trial decisions the defense plans to challenge on appeal.

They include O'Neill's decision to let five other accusers testify.

The appeals court has turned down the bail motion in a one-line order issued Monday.

Cosby is serving a three- to 10-year prison term for drugging and molesting a woman at his estate near Philadelphia in 2004.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/appeals-court-denies-bill-cosbys-latest-bid-for-bail/ar-AAAHUeg?ocid=spartanntp

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2019, 11:07:29 pm »
Wednesday, 2nd May 2019
Marsha Warfield Says She’s Ashamed of Not Sharing Bill Cosby Rumors Sooner
by Angela Helm

Actor and comedian Marsha Warfield, best known as Roz from Night Court, has used social media in the past to make some impactful statements.

In December 2017 she came out as a gay woman, noting that her mother only wanted her to do so after she had died.

In a more recent Facebook post, Warfield talks about how conflicted she is over Bill Cosby—not only because she looked up to him as a young comedian and he turned out to be a sexual predator, but because she had firsthand knowledge of his predilection for spiking drinks and never spoke up about it.

In a note posted the day Cosby was found guilty on three counts of sexual assault against Andrea Constand, Warfield explained how she and Cosby used to have the same publicity rep when she was younger.

Warfield recounted this story about meeting with Cosby then:

Then, as my PR guy was leaving, he said to me with a twinkle in his eye, “Just make sure you don’t drink anything.”
As you can imagine I was confused.
So, he went on to explain that Cos liked to put stiff in women’s drinks ... and the rest you know.
I was horrified. I asked many times if he was kidding because I couldn’t believe he was serious. Especially with the “No big deal” nonchalant way he was describing it.
He went on to say that Cos did it to protect himself and his image because a drugged woman wouldn’t remember, and even if she did nobody would believe her.
I told him that what he described was horrible, a terrible thing to do and he should never tell anyone that again.
He reassured me that he had been doing it for years, everybody knew it and again, it was no big deal.
Anyway, I did take the meeting, he did offer me drinks and I did decline them.
We chatted about nothing in particular, then I left.

Warfield says that though she told a few people about Cosby, she never spoke out publicly.

“What would I say, somebody told me something?” she asks.

And then: “After all, I wasn’t raped.”

She continues and says that she is ashamed many times over:

But, I am ashamed that I didn’t speak out.
I am ashamed that my desire to “protect” another black person from unfair prosecution in a society all too often all too happy to persecute and even kill them without consideration of innocence or guilt was misguided, misplaced and misapplied.
And I am scared because I know this essay will be judged and people will respond with their own opinions and truths.
And I am pissed that through no fault of my own, this little bit of gossip weighs so heavily on my heart and conscience.

Though most of the 1,100 comments on the post were positive, a few did criticize Warfield for not speaking out sooner and called her selfish for not doing so.

In another Facebook post days later, Warfield responded:

“Everybody who is mad at me for not telling what I heard to protect women they still don’t believe can STFUATSS. Who would you tell when the people you should tell are the ones telling you? And what would you tell them?”

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/marsha-warfield-says-she-s-ashamed-of-not-sharing-bil-1825725086

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 10:06:59 am »
Wednesday, 15th May 2019
Judge says Cosby accusers’ testimony points to ‘signature’ crime
by Associated Press

The judge who presided over Bill Cosby’s criminal case said he let five other accusers testify at the sex-assault trial because their accounts had “chilling similarities” that pointed to a “signature” crime.

A jury last year convicted Cosby of drugging and sexually assaulting Andrea Constand in 2004, after hearing from her and the five others.

Cosby, 81, is appealing his conviction based on the women’s testimony and other key rulings by Montgomery County Judge Stephen O’Neill.

Cosby began serving a three- to 10-year prison term in September at a state prison near Philadelphia.

O’Neill, in a lengthy opinion filed Tuesday, said he found “striking similarities” in the women’s descriptions of their encounters with the comedian long beloved as “America’s Dad.”

“In each instance, (he) met a substantially younger woman, gained her trust, invited her to a place where he was alone with her, provided her with a drink or drug, and sexually assaulted her once she was rendered incapacitated,” O’Neill wrote.

“These chilling similarities rendered (their) testimony admissible.”

O’Neill had allowed just one other accuser to testify at Cosby’s first trial in June 2017, when a jury deadlock led to a mistrial.

Cosby was retried in April 2018, months after the #MeToo movement burst into view with sexual asssault accusations against producer Harvey Weinstein and other powerful men in Hollywood and beyond.

In the ruling Tuesday, O’Neill said the new defense team that handled Cosby’s retrial never directly challenged him on the difference in his two trial rulings about the other accusers’ testimony.

At any rate, he said, judges are not bound by their prior decisions.

The defense, in outlining their appeal issues, have also argued that Cosby had a binding agreement with a former prosecutor, Bruce Castor, that he would never be charged in the case.

O’Neill again rejected the claim Tuesday, finding the signed press release from Castor – used to bolster the claim – falls short of an immunity agreement.

Castor had investigated Constand’s complaint for about a month in 2005 before deciding not to bring a case, questioning why she waited a year to contact police.

Before the year was out, 13 other accusers had come forward to support the lawsuit Constand filed against Cosby.

He settled the case for $3.4 million.

When Cosby’s deposition testimony from the lawsuit became public in 2015, and the criminal case was reopened, Castor for the first time told his successor about the supposed “non-prosecution” agreement.

He forwarded their correspondence to Cosby’s defense lawyer and testified as a defense witness at a 2016 hearing, O’Neill noted.

O’Neill also rejected defense efforts to have him step down from the case because of his alleged bias, and outlined the four-year legal process that led up to Cosby’s conviction and sentencing.

Cosby’s latest team of lawyers has been awaiting the opinion so they can proceed with the appeal in Pennsylvania courts.

The lead lawyer, Brian Perry, did not immediately return a phone message on Tuesday.

Cosby spokesman Andrew Wyatt, in a statement, said “O’Neill has a habitual habit of always trying to cover his many errors, which continues to show his hatred towards Mr. Cosby.”

The Associated Press does not typically identify sexual assault victims without their permission, which Constand has granted.

https://thegrio.com/2019/05/15/judge-says-cosby-accusers-testimony-points-to-signature-crime/
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 07:15:24 pm by Battle »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 05:11:32 pm »
Monday, 24th June 2019
Bill Cosby's wife hasn't visited him in prison — and that's how he wants it
by Christie D'Zurilla

Bill Cosby's wife, Camille, and their children haven't yet visited him in prison, where he's been since late September.

But they're not shunning him.

The disgraced comic simply doesn't want his family to see him as a prisoner, his spokesman says.

"He feels that when he left home, he left home the day of the sentencing as Bill Cosby, not as NN7687, the number they have given him, and he wants his family to see him in that light not in the light of a prison uniform," Andrew Wyatt told DailyMailTV, via DailyMail.com.

Wyatt said he's been Cosby's sole visitor at SCI Phoenix, a maximum-security state prison in Pennsylvania.

He also said the comic has gotten private messages of support from longtime celebrity pals Quincy Jones and Spike Lee.

"He views it like you're going to war and you're not going to see your friends and family," the spokesman said.

"You have to abide by the rules."

The former "Cosby Show" star is serving a sentence of up to 10 years after being convicted in April 2018 on three counts of aggravated indecent assault for drugging and molesting Andrea Constand.

He has maintained his innocence and is appealing the court's decision.

Cosby would be eligible for parole after three years if he were to attend rehabilitation classes for violent sexual predators, but, Wyatt said, that's not going to happen.

"He feels that this is how they get inmates to confess to a crime they did not commit because they force them to go to these sorts of classes,"

the spokesman said, adding, "(H)e's willing to sit there the entire 10 years rather than attend that course."

According to Wyatt, Cosby is filling his days with "speaking engagements," addressing small groups of inmates.

"'Mr. Cosby is educating these men on how to remove the 'd-i-s' from disadvantage and recognize that they have a second chance when they get parole, they get to be better fathers, great community activists," Wyatt said.

Cosby has been married to Camille since January 1964.

Together they had five children, three of whom - Erika, 53; Erinn, 52; and Evin, 42 - are still living.

Son Ennis was killed during a botched robbery attempt in 1997, at age 27, while daughter Ensa died last year, at 44, after suffering kidney failure.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/bill-cosbys-wife-hasnt-visited-him-in-prison-—-and-thats-how-he-wants-it/ar-AADmmyo?ocid=spartandhp

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2019, 12:03:29 pm »
Tuesday, 25th June 2019
Cosby files appeal over testimony from other women accusers
by MARYCLAIRE DALE

Comedian Bill Cosby has filed a lengthy appeal of the sex assault conviction that landed him in prison, complaining the testimony of five other accusers was "strikingly dissimilar" to the pending felony charges and should not have been aired in court.

The appeal Tuesday challenges Judge Steven O'Neill's view that the women's testimony showed "chilling similarities" and pointed to a "signature" crime."Sounds familiar, eh?"

The 81-year-old Cosby has been serving a three- to 10-year prison term since September 2018 at a state prison near Philadelphia.

His insurance company this year recently settled lawsuits filed by at least eight other women who had accused Cosby of sexual misconduct and, in most cases, defamation.

The appeal, filed in Pennsylvania Superior Court, attacks Cosby's conviction on a number of grounds that have been central to the case, and argued repeatedly, since his December 2015 arrest.

The defense has long argued that any testimony from other accusers would unfairly stack the deck against Cosby, given that he was never charged in those cases.

Cosby's lawyers have also complained that many of the accounts are decades old, and nearly impossible to defend.

And they say the five women who testified to bolster the prosecution case at Cosby's retrial last year alleged different types of sexual contact than Andrea Constand did.

"This evidence was used to strip Cosby of his presumption of innocence and to try to establish that Cosby had the propensity to sexually assault women.

This evidence never should have been admitted at trial," lawyers Kristen L. Weisenberger, Brian Perry and Sarah Kelly-Kilgore wrote.

They also said O'Neill should have stepped down over an alleged feud with a former prosecutor who had declined to charge Cosby when Constand first went to police in 2005.

And they said the jury should not have heard Cosby's 2006 deposition testimony from Constand's civil case, in which he talked of getting quaaludes in the 1970s to give women before sex.

That testimony, unsealed after a decade, led a new district attorney to reopen Constand's police complaint and ultimately charge Cosby.

O'Neill, in his memo this year, said the other women's accounts showed a long pattern of criminal behavior.

"In each instance, (Cosby) met a substantially younger woman, gained her trust, invited her to a place where he was alone with her, provided her with a drink or drug, and sexually assaulted her once she was rendered incapacitated," O'Neill wrote.

"These chilling similarities rendered (their) testimony admissible."

Cosby's conviction came after a storied, 50-year entertainment career in television, film and comedy, and he'd earned the moniker "America's Dad" through his top-ranked sitcom, "The Cosby Show."

Camille Cosby, in a statement Tuesday, called her husband "one of our great American treasures," and said his appeal was important for all "wrongfully convicted of a crime, without any proof.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/cosby-files-appeal-over-testimony-from-other-women-accusers/ar-AADpwsP?ocid=spartanntp

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2019, 06:19:43 am »
Monday, 12th August 2019
Cosby's lawyers, claiming unfair trial, seek to overturn his sex assault conviction
by Joseph Ax

Lawyers for comedian Bill Cosby on Monday will ask a Pennsylvania appeals court to throw out his sexual assault conviction, arguing the trial judge committed errors that deprived him of a fair trial.

The appeal will center on the decision by Montgomery County Judge Steven O'Neill to allow five accusers to testify that Cosby had drugged and sexually assaulted them years previously, just as the victim at trial, Andrea Constand, claimed he had done.

In court papers, prosecutors have countered that the testimony proved Constand's assault was the "culmination of a decades-long pattern of behavior."

"In each instance, defendant, a world-renowned entertainer, administered an intoxicant to a much younger woman in whom he had instilled trust and over whom he yielded power and influence," the Montgomery County district attorney's office wrote.

Cosby, known for his role as the lovable father in the 1980s television series "The Cosby Show," saw his family-friendly reputation shattered after dozens of women accused him of sexual assault over decades.

He was the first celebrity to be convicted in the "#MeToo" era.

The 82-year-old, who is serving a prison sentence of three-to-10 years, is not expected in court on Monday in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

In June 2017, Cosby's trial ended in a mistrial after the jury could not come to a unanimous verdict.

The following April, when prosecutors tried him again, Cosby was convicted of sexually abusing Constand in 2004 after giving her unidentified pills that she testified left her semi-conscious.

Legal experts have said Cosby's best chance on appeal is to challenge O'Neill's decision permitting other alleged victims to testify. The trial concerned only Constand’s allegation; the other accusers’claims were too old to lead to criminal charges.

Under Pennsylvania law, such "prior bad acts" witnesses are seen as potentially prejudicial and can be admitted only under rare exceptions, such as to prove a defendant engaged in a specific pattern of behavior.

"Given the current political and social climate, one cannot imagine more prejudicial testimony to incite an emotional reaction by a jury than to parade a stream of other women accusing Cosby of having inappropriate sexual contact with them," defense lawyers wrote in court papers.

They have also raised numerous other issues, including that O'Neill should not have allowed the jury to hear Cosby's testimony in a previous civil case admitting he had given Quaaludes, a sedative, to women in the 1970s with whom he wanted to have sex.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/cosbys-lawyers-claiming-unfair-trial-seek-to-overturn-his-sex-assault-conviction/ar-AAFGQ1A?ocid=spartandhp

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2019, 08:00:59 pm »
Tuesday, 24th September 2019
Cosby hit with $2.75M legal bill after losing dispute
by Associated Press

(PHILADELPHIA, Pa) — Bill Cosby has been hit with a $2.75 million legal bill as he marks the end of his first year in prison.

The 82-year-old Cosby had challenged a California arbitration award that upheld nearly $7 million of a $9 million bill submitted by just one firm in the run-up to his first sexual assault trial in Pennsylvania in 2017.

A judge sided Friday with Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, of Los Angeles, rejecting Cosby's claim that the bill was "egregious."

Cosby spokesman Andrew Wyatt isn't commenting on the fee dispute.

But he says the actor is holding up well in a suburban Philadelphia prison, mentoring other inmates as he marks a year in prison Wednesday.

Cosby is serving three to 10 years for drugging and molesting a woman in 2004.

The Pennsylvania Superior Court is weighing his appeal of the 2018 conviction.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/bill-cosby-hit-with-dollar275m-legal-bill-after-losing-dispute/ar-AAHMODH?ocid=spartanntp