Author Topic: The Departed  (Read 3698 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The Departed
« on: October 09, 2006, 12:57:35 pm »
Who saw it? What did you think?

Offline Rollo_Tomasi

• View Profile
Re: The Departed
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 01:29:16 pm »
I haven't seen it yet. I actually own Infernal Affairs, the movie it was based on, on DVD, but I haven't had time to watch it yet. I'm eager to see what Scorsese's take on the film is. He has yet to disappoint me.
"There are no hereditary kings in America and no powers not created by the Constitution''

-- U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor

sunjata

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 06:30:07 pm »
I saw The Departed last Sunday.  It is a great movie.  I have been disappointed in Martin Scorsese last few efforts.  Scorsese is one of my favorite directors.  He understands and is able to relate city life on screens better than almost any other director.  I thought Gangs of New York was pretty boring except for a magnificent performance by Daniel Day-Lewis.  I also thought The Aviator was a snoozer except for the performance by Alan Alda.  I didn’t bother to see Bringing Out the Dead because I heard nothing good about it.

Now Scorsese is back in his element with a great cast that all bring strong performances to the table.  We get a great unpredictable story that explores the thin line between being a cop and being criminal.  It mixes drama, humor and violence into a nice entertaining package.  I highly recommended this film.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 06:35:08 pm by Sunjata »

Offline bmagee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 10:44:07 am »
Just saw this movie last night. It was totally unpredictable, which is a very good thing. It was definitely worth my $9 dollars.

Ben

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 02:11:38 pm »
best movie I've seen in a long long time.  If, 10 years ago, you told me I'd be a Leonardo DiCaprio fan, I'd have told you that you were crazy

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 02:30:09 pm »
Just saw it earlier today. I liked it...had a couple of surprises which is rare in my movie going experience, anyway.
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 05:08:53 pm »
That movie is one of the best movies I have ever seen. M.Night Shalamwhatever should take notes on how to really suprise the audience.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 09:22:17 pm »
Saw it.  Loved it!
Awesome film!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 12:53:08 pm »
just saw it at a local second-run theater.. Geez!!   :o

the depth of corruption seen in this film is deplorable..  as is the frank and matter-of-fact racism and savagery exhibited by so many characters.. (not that I thought the Irish Mob were nice guys, but anyway..) The main thing disappionting to me was that Anthony Anderson had to bite it (and little buzz for his supporting role? even though his role was much smaller, it did offer some decent counter-balance to all the corruption and subterfuge that was going on with most of the characters.. ) .. but I'm glad all the real bastards got done in (& too bad for Costigan)..  (Sam: did you know any cops who were as 'out there' as Mark Wahlberg's Dignam?)

I guess this leaves no room for a sequel?

hopefully this will win best film..
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 01:17:22 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 01:04:46 pm »
I guess this leaves no room for a sequel?

There is talk of a sequel and prequel, just like the original hong kong movies.

Spoilers
I guess Matt Damon's character survives this movie in hong kong only to die later on in another movie.  Who knows how they'd change the movie in america.

Offline Sam Wilson

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 01:23:06 pm »
I haven't seen it yet. I actually own Infernal Affairs, the movie it was based on, on DVD, but I haven't had time to watch it yet. I'm eager to see what Scorsese's take on the film is. He has yet to disappoint me.

i also own infernal affairs, the departed is pretty much a shot for shot scene for scene remake, nothing original whatsoever.  Bah. :(

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 05:00:20 pm »

i also own infernal affairs, the departed is pretty much a shot for shot scene for scene remake, nothing original whatsoever.  Bah. :(

I own Infernal Affairs, too and I thought the same thing.  I liked them both, but I'd have to give the edge to Infernal Affairs.  I have to pick up parts 2 and 3...I heard they were on sale at Best Buy.