Author Topic: NBA Off Season 2017  (Read 4128 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: NBA Off Season 2017
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 04:56:37 pm »
Open your pockets, Tom Gores.  The Pistons need a turbo boost of talent.  Might as well try to one-up your buddy Dan Gilbert.  Stan Van Gundy has yet to build a contender squad.  In the fall, the team will be playing in the city limits for the first time in nearly 40 years.  Hopefully a trend of winning games goes along with it.   :-\
Sorry Hype, I am not optimistic for your Pistons. It's the roster. Who can they build around? I don't see anybody with superstar potential. Actually, I don't even see any potential all-stars. (Ok, maybe Drummond.)

Their cap situation doesn't look too bad. Nobody on bad contracts. Some deals they could probably move if they wanted to make space. No reason for anybody to come there either though. I think Van Gundy is pretty good. Next season probably looks a lot like this past season.

hee-hee... (sigh)... it's jacked up when your city is one that "nobody" wants to go to.    :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[  not rookies, not established talents, not fading stars..

I just hope that the legal scalpers don't buy up all the tickets for the home games.. I'm actually planning on going to more than one next season..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 05:53:01 am »
Ugh I hate boston so much. Hate the patriots, hate the red sox, hate the celtics.

Feel bad for the jazz fans... mainly because I can emphasize cuz we are in the same boat now. Drafted great to get our star, then built around them and then have them leave for bigger markets (well PG eventually will in a year).

Both got freaking screwed.

It is to the point where all small market teams need to trade their star 2 years out from FA

I am just not sure what you can really do about it in this era of player movement. They tried allowing the home team to simply offer more money but that doesn't work for smaller markets because you can make up the money in sponsorship at the larger markets.

I feel like the only way to make the nba "competitive" for all teams is a HARD cap with no max salaries. Make it so the stars really have to take a paycut to make these super teams.

you would probably have to get rid of guaranteed contracts as well or at least limit the lenght of contracts so teams dont make one bad signing and ruin a decade.

It'll never happen but... FA sucks for small market teams.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 04:54:33 pm »
Ugh I hate boston so much. Hate the patriots, hate the red sox, hate the celtics.

But Boston does have great baked beans..  ;) http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/how-to-make-boston-baked-beans.html
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 09:59:22 am »

Feel bad for the jazz fans... mainly because I can emphasize cuz we are in the same boat now. Drafted great to get our star, then built around them and then have them leave for bigger markets (well PG eventually will in a year).

Both got freaking screwed.
Similar but more so Utah in my view. They built a pretty good team around Hayward then had some bad injury luck this year. Plus they're in the west. The Pacers, not so much. They kind of got caught out as the game evolved. Their big team (Hibbert, West, PG, Lance & Hill) couldn't get over the hump against Miami. Then they tried to shift to the modern positionless style with so-so success and just ran out of time on PG's second contract. As we discussed, I don't really like their personnel moves except drafting Myles Turner. I can see why PG wanted out.

It is to the point where all small market teams need to trade their star 2 years out from FA

I am just not sure what you can really do about it in this era of player movement. They tried allowing the home team to simply offer more money but that doesn't work for smaller markets because you can make up the money in sponsorship at the larger markets.

I feel like the only way to make the nba "competitive" for all teams is a HARD cap with no max salaries. Make it so the stars really have to take a paycut to make these super teams.

you would probably have to get rid of guaranteed contracts as well or at least limit the lenght of contracts so teams dont make one bad signing and ruin a decade.

It'll never happen but... FA sucks for small market teams.
So more like the NFL. That would be interesting but you're right, it'll never happen.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 09:03:48 am »
So what the hell is going on in Cleveland? Too cheap to hire a GM and now Kyrie doesn't want to play alongside Lebron anymore? Is he tired of going to the finals? This reminds me of Starbury.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 09:06:04 am »
Lebron is sooooooooooo going to leave next year.

I wouldn't stay with a cheapskate owner either though.

I don't get kyrie thing. Dude isn't an MVP caliber player. Hes reaaaaaaaaaaaalllly good (at offense) but he aint in that Lebron/Durant/Curry/Leonard/Harden type class.

He's a better damien lillard.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2017, 09:06:02 am »
Lebron is sooooooooooo going to leave next year.

I wouldn't stay with a cheapskate owner either though.

I don't get kyrie thing. Dude isn't an MVP caliber player. Hes reaaaaaaaaaaaalllly good (at offense) but he aint in that Lebron/Durant/Curry/Leonard/Harden type class.

He's a better damien lillard.
Yup, yup. Damien Lillard is a good comp. He's also a liability on the defensive end. If either is your best player, you're not a contender.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2017, 12:19:52 pm »
Oh well

I wish more star players wanted their own teams

then you wou'dnt have this super team nonsense