Author Topic: Who are some of your favorite UnSung artists?  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
Who are some of your favorite UnSung artists?
« on: June 30, 2017, 07:19:20 am »
I'm looking for your favorite unsung artists who haven't received any shine from TV One's UnSung yet.
Once I tabulate the votes, we'll be counting down our Top 10 Unsung artists on The Takeover Countdown hosted by Mastrmynd & Tha Diva.

I also hope to interview some of these artists on the show as well.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Who are some of your favorite UnSung artists?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 10:36:02 am »
Keith Washington
Lyfe Jennings
Vivian Green
Avant
Kenny Lattimore

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 10:39:26 am »
Keith Washington
Lyfe Jennings
Vivian Green
Avant
Kenny Lattimore

You think Avant and Lyfe are deserving of world wide acclaim?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 12:20:05 pm »
Wow.  I haven't kept up with the UnSung TV show, so I'm just going to post names of folks that I think are solid artists, but maybe they've been forgotten or semi-forgotten over the years (and some may be more active in touring than others, those who are still with us):

R&B/Soul/Funk
Roger Troutman (Zapp)- anticipated later developments in R&B and pop, with the heavy voice-box use.  Part of the myriad spinoffs of the P-Funk empire, discovered by Bootsy.  Funk had started going in a more electronic direction, and before the full blown rise of rap, Zapp was kind of a bridge act.  Plenty of urban radio airplay but scant pop/crossover play, until the gangster rappers started sampling him right and left.

Johnny Gill- I've just started rediscovering his music.  I picked up a greatest hits disc years ago that I had left alone for a good while.  I just picked up Let's Get the Mood Right, and I plan on picking up his recent LPs soon.
The most "mature" voice in New Edition, they broke off to do solo work before there could be a proper follow-up to Heartbreak, which still disappoints me.  The duets with Staci Lattisaw still work, and he was only in his teens back then.

Rock
Living Colour- Well, I might as well include them here.  Vernon. Corey.  Will.  Muzz (and later, Doug).  A heavy rock band with members steeped in multiple influences (jazz, soul, classic rock), by racial default they had an image that ran counter to the all-white rosters of 'hair metal' bands in the 1980s.  Corey Glover's voice was gospel/soul influenced, making him extremely distinct from other metal frontmen.  founder/guitarist Vernon Reid had plenty of Hendrixian-inspired guitar licks.  The lyrics (often written by Reid) frequently had social commentary messages and went well beyond the party-hearty sentiments that were the expected thing of say, Van Halen or Motley Crue, in comparison.  Their willingness to collaborate on select songs with rappers showed solidarity in the face of the standard "rap sucks!" rock-culture sentiments of the time.  They always had a black-fans-of-rock-music following, but for obvious reasons they weren't really on urban radio at all during their heyday.  Top 40 and alternative rock radio came calling though, but then the breakup by the mid-90s disrupted their momentum even as alternative bands nationwide were gaining more steam.  They first blew up as I was attending a mostly white high school.  It was really nice that there were some brothers representing in that world, beyond Michael and Prince.

Rap
Cypress Hill-
Circa 91, the Los Angeles crew came out the box with heavy funk and street stories that continued gangster rap's rise.  "How I Could Just Kill A Man" blew up sky high that first summer of 1991.  DJ Muggs was an NYC-reared producer who liked sampling jazz, rock, funk, and Latin.  B-Real's voice reminded you of the Beastie Boys' King Ad-Rock.  Sen Dog was a gruff hype man who occasionally spit his own verses to switch things up.  That two of the band members were Latin (B-Real & Sen Dog) brought additional sample sources into the mix and occasional Spanish lyrics in the rhymes.  The next couple of follow-up LP's managed to have some urban-charting hits.  By the late 90s, their "hood" audience started to dwindle while at the same time gaining a major following among alternative rock-loving suburbanites.  They even managed to start getting radio spins on alternative radio outlets, becoming, along with Eminem soon to come, few of the straight up "rap" acts to make such broadcast inroads.

MC Lyte-
Probably gets the least accolades among rappers in her generation.  Maybe even the "best" female rapper and a top 10 overall in the Golden Age era.  She should still be enjoying a major record deal.  I forget when her last proper LP was out.  Rhyme skills plus funky beat choices, she always came out with something enjoyable, whether or not it was a "message" rap.  Represents an era in female hip-hop expression that generally avoided blatant sexpot imagery.

Gang Starr/Guru
Had a slow burn to becoming a prominent duo in hip-hop, Guru always had plenty of street-smart battle raps as well as recurring "message" lyrics.  DJ Premier gradually grew as a producer, picking lots of obscure soul and jazz records to lift riffs from.  Never had crossover success, but eventually went gold with Moment of Truth. Guru's spinoff solo efforts made more blatant attempts at rap/jazz fusion, to enjoyable results.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:17:45 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Online CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 08:11:58 pm »
I like "The Internet". They have a free album with Prime subscription.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 11:00:33 am »
Great choices Hype!

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 11:38:57 am »
Great choices Hype!

Many thanks!  :)

I'll also add Darius Rucker to my list.  I admire how he's been able to achieve what he's accomplished, first with Hootie & the Blowfish, then as a solo country performer.  He's not really Unsung from a mainstream culture standpoint, but I'd love it if he were to get some performance slots on black pop culture events like the Image Awards, BET Awards, Essence Festival, etc.  Whether he's been asked or not, I have no idea.

I'd like to see him do a "reverse" version of Lionel Richie's recent Tuskegee album.  I'd like to see him paired up with a number of R&B/Soul artists for a duets album, and hopefully it could get some airplay on urban radio.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 11:15:35 am »
Johnny "Guitar" Watson

The Pharcyde

Redman

Bootsy Collins

Billy Preston

Mos Def

Keith Murray

Jungle Brothers

Poor Righteous Teachers

X-Clan

Brand Nubian

War

The S.O.S. Band

Cee-Lo

Cameo

LTD

Con Funk Shun

Tony Toni Tone

M.O.P.

AZ

Slum Village

Soul Sonic Force

Egyptian Lover

Grand Puba

Alexander O'Neal

2 Live Crew

KRS-One

U.G.K.

Large Professor

Arrested Development

Digable Planets

I'm sure half of these have had "Unsungs" but I'm just sayin'.