Author Topic: Who are some of your favorite UnSung actors?  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
Who are some of your favorite UnSung actors?
« on: June 30, 2017, 07:21:50 am »
Coming soon on The Takeover Countdown hosted by Mastrmynd & Tha Diva, we plan our celebrating unsung musicians (not featured on TV One's Unsung) and actors!
Who are some actors that deserve more shine than they actually get.
For example, Paul Winfield.

Give me your top 3 and defend your choice.
I'll tabulate the votes and you'll find out who's #1 during the show.

Thanks!

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
Re: Who are some of your favorite UnSung actors?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 05:11:57 pm »
Who are some actors that deserve more shine than they actually get.
For example, Paul Winfield.

Joe Morton?

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 03:31:49 am »
Off the top of my head here goes. I'll probably add more to the list as more come to mind.

N'Bushe Wright
Salli Richardson
Steve James
John Amos
Bianca Lawson

Edit: Sorry Mastermynd, I didn't see you only wanted three and to defend the choices. I was just listing folks I think don't get their due. I need to think about this a bit more to fit your requirements.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:33:24 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 03:57:26 am »
top 3?  Hmm...

Clifton Powell (Saints & Sinners)- whether he's playing a pastor or a hustler (both?), or businessperson, he's been one of these actors who show up in a lot of stuff but never seems to get promoted as an "A-List" headliner.  He'd be good as Luke Cage's father in the Netflix show.
! No longer available

Ice-T (Law & Order SVU)- His Fin Tutuola has been a reliable anchor for the SVU show since the second season.  Yes, he's "Ice-T as a cop", but it works.  For whatever reason, he's never nominated for an Emmy or similar awards.  His B-movies over the years have been good for a chuckle.  I'm surprised he's not in more supporting movie roles in recent years compared to his post-New Jack City appearances in the 90s.
! No longer available

Regina Hall (Barbershop 3)- I first remember her from Ally McBeal.  lovely  :-* and always enjoyable in whatever role she plays, from whimsical comedies to serious dramatic pieces.  She especially shines in comedy.  Usually seen in ensemble films in a supporting role.  She should get more headlining roles.  Hopefully Girls Trip will do that for her.
! No longer available

! No longer available

Honorable mention:  Kat Graham (The Vampire Diaries):  Bonnie.  Bonnie.  Bonnie, Bonnie, Bonnie.   :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
! No longer available

! No longer available
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:54:49 am by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 01:22:24 pm »
^

All very good choices.

Let me try this again.

Gina Torres: One of the best actresses out there, she always puts in work and always delivers in various genres. She can play just about any role.

Wesley Snipes: Perhaps its arguable to say if Snipes is unsung or not, however I think since the Blade Trinity debacle and his jail sentence, he hasn't received much love from Hollywood and definitely not getting the kind of roles and exposure he should. But he still has it, with his last show, NBC's The Player a prime example of how he dominated that show despite being only a supporting player. As much as I liked Corey Hawkins in 24: Legacy, I would've loved to have seen Snipes in a big time action role again. He's the best black action star out there and they've got him on the shelf for the most part. Beyond that, what I admire about Snipes is that he can play drama and comedy as well as action. Like Gina Torres, he's very versatile.

Laurenz Tate: Arguably he's not unsung either, but I still feel he doesn't get his due. He's been in the game for two decades and has put in solid work though he hasn't hit on a big movie or show in a long time. But he's reliable.

Honorable Mention:

Kandyse McClure: She was one of the first black genre beauties that I recall. She never got the fanboys going crazy like they did for Summer Glau or Kristen Bell, but McClure was good in various genre works and it's a shame that she hasn't been cast in more stuff or got the lead in more films or shows. She was criminally underused in Battlestar Galatica and then tossed away like her character was garbage. 

Other Honorable Mentions:

Morris Chestnut
Omar Epps
Elise Neal
Thandie Newton
Richard T. Jones
Malik Yoba
Rick Worthy
Blair Underwood
Jeffrey Wright
Alfre Woodard

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 01:46:02 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 08:18:13 pm »
See MM, Joe Morgan should win an Emmy for Roman Pope.  You know it!  ;D

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 11:20:56 am »
See MM, Joe Morgan should win an Emmy for Roman Pope.  You know it!  ;D

Truth.
Every. Year.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 11:21:48 am »
Off the top of my head here goes. I'll probably add more to the list as more come to mind.

N'Bushe Wright
Salli Richardson
Steve James
John Amos
Bianca Lawson

Edit: Sorry Mastermynd, I didn't see you only wanted three and to defend the choices. I was just listing folks I think don't get their due. I need to think about this a bit more to fit your requirements.

It's all good. You got the ball rollin'. Interesting list.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 11:24:34 am »
I totally expected a lot of 60s and 70s actors. You guys went kind of recent. Interesting.
Clifton Powell is the G.O.A.T.
Hmm, i'd LOVE to interview him.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 01:57:20 pm »
I grew up in the 80s and 90s so I'm a bit more familiar with them.

Though one actor I was thinking about that I forgot to add was Carl Weathers.

Others that I can think of are:
Avery Brooks
Levar Burton
Bokeem Woodbine
Vondie Curtis Hall
Vanessa Bell Calloway
Holly Robinson Peete
Robert Townsend
Charles S. Dutton
Isaiah Washington
Loretta Devine
Steve Harris
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 02:47:59 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 09:45:51 am »
I brought up Loretta Devine to my wife/co-host the other day.
She agreed!
Carl Weathers. Hmm. Defend your answer. I'm curious.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 12:03:23 pm »
She agreed!

I'm surprised you would ask me to defend Weathers, but here goes...

A year or so ago I read this interesting article alleging that Weathers never really got his due or became a great action star career because of racism, and I believe that's true. When you look at Weathers in the 70s and 80s, at his prime, he had all the ingredients to be a good, possibly great, action star. I can't say he's the greatest actor-though he was by no means a bad actor at all, plus he had the looks, physique, and charm to sit right alongside Arnold and Sly back then and Bruce has never been as cut as Weathers.

He was great as Apollo Creed, imbuing that character with cockiness yet complexity. He showed far more dimension than any other Rocky opponent, and that makes me wonder if it was what Weathers brought to the role as opposed to the writing. Perhaps Sly didn't want anyone else outshining him in the sequels so he wrote more one-dimensional antagonists. You can put Apollo in the black best buddy slot but I think Weathers' performance went beyond that, he had more going on than just helping Rocky achieve his dreams. Granted, it never made sense to me that Apollo would retire after Rocky II, but in terms of the movie franchise, I get it, but that's another story. I think Weathers' performance helped make the Rocky-Apollo bond strong enough and resonant enough that Ryan Coogler could draw on that to do the film Creed.

I've never seen Action Jackson, but that seems like a concept begging to be redone, and an 80s attempt to build a franchise around Weathers that I wish had happened. He also was in the short-lived Fortune Dane, another unfortunate misfire for him. I thought he was pretty cool in the first Predator film as the shifty Dillon. I haven't seen his comedic roles, outside of Good Times, but his ability to shift over into comedic roles shows some versatility. Recently I did think he was alright as the cynical, weathered (pun intended) cop in the sci-fi show Colony. Weathers, likely like Billy Dee Williams, was ahead of his time and Hollywood had no real place for him. Even today, you don't have many black male action stars.

I believe that the misfires like Fortune Dane were due more to the material or the times than Weathers himself. If the idea of unsung means people not getting their due I think Weathers is almost the definition of that.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 12:10:43 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 01:03:11 pm »
She agreed!

I'm surprised you would ask me to defend Weathers, but here goes...

A year or so ago I read this interesting article alleging that Weathers never really got his due or became a great action star career because of racism, and I believe that's true. When you look at Weathers in the 70s and 80s, at his prime, he had all the ingredients to be a good, possibly great, action star. I can't say he's the greatest actor-though he was by no means a bad actor at all, plus he had the looks, physique, and charm to sit right alongside Arnold and Sly back then and Bruce has never been as cut as Weathers.

He was great as Apollo Creed, imbuing that character with cockiness yet complexity. He showed far more dimension than any other Rocky opponent, and that makes me wonder if it was what Weathers brought to the role as opposed to the writing. Perhaps Sly didn't want anyone else outshining him in the sequels so he wrote more one-dimensional antagonists. You can put Apollo in the black best buddy slot but I think Weathers' performance went beyond that, he had more going on than just helping Rocky achieve his dreams. Granted, it never made sense to me that Apollo would retire after Rocky II, but in terms of the movie franchise, I get it, but that's another story. I think Weathers' performance helped make the Rocky-Apollo bond strong enough and resonant enough that Ryan Coogler could draw on that to do the film Creed.

I've never seen Action Jackson, but that seems like a concept begging to be redone, and an 80s attempt to build a franchise around Weathers that I wish had happened. He also was in the short-lived Fortune Dane, another unfortunate misfire for him. I thought he was pretty cool in the first Predator film as the shifty Dillon. I haven't seen his comedic roles, outside of Good Times, but his ability to shift over into comedic roles shows some versatility. Recently I did think he was alright as the cynical, weathered (pun intended) cop in the sci-fi show Colony. Weathers, likely like Billy Dee Williams, was ahead of his time and Hollywood had no real place for him. Even today, you don't have many black male action stars.

I believe that the misfires like Fortune Dane were due more to the material or the times than Weathers himself. If the idea of unsung means people not getting their due I think Weathers is almost the definition of that.

Carl Weathers deserved a bigger career.  Hollywood [studio administrators, producers, casting directors, talent agents, other insiders] collectively turned its back on the Blaxploitation stars by the turn of the decade.  In the 1980s, if you weren't Eddie, well, you were marginalized as a black male movie actor.  Even Denzel hadn't really "blown up" yet back then.  Action Jackson was a great b-movie  but there wasn't a sequel nor was there a follow-up solo vehicle for Weathers.  As Mr. Reggie has stated in some interviews, [I'm paraphrasing], even when certain black-led films blow up, the industry reaction is to write it off as a fluke rather than try to expand on the success with related fare.  The 'apex' of Weathers as an action actor was as a supporting co-character (e.g., Rocky, Predator, Force 10 from Navarone, the Defiant Ones).

spoilers sidebar: I remember seeing Action Jackson in theaters with my mom when I was 13... there's a scene where Vanity's Sidney Ash is having a private chat with the auto magnate villain Peter Dellaplane (Craig T. Nelson); somehow, I kind of anticipated that Vanity was going to be showing her goodies.  I knew I wouldn't able to properly enjoy it sitting next to Mom.. I told Mom I was heading to the restroom.. and I did.. but I stopped at the exit door and waited for about 30 seconds... and.. Jackpot!!! ! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  .  After the movie ended, Mom wanted to sit through it again (this was the era where you could still get away with that)... When that scene cued up again, she was ready to head home...  ;)  (stop looking at me that way, y'all.. remember this is before the Internet!!  ;))

Like a lot of black actors, he couldn't afford to be "I'm film only!" I dimly remember Fortune Dane and I didn't have a problem with it, but I don't think it lasted a whole season.  Circa 1990 there was also the TV movie Dangerous Passion where he was pitted against Billy Dee Williams.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:24:57 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.