Author Topic: NABJ Convention in New Orleans 2017  (Read 538 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
NABJ Convention in New Orleans 2017
« on: July 01, 2017, 08:02:53 am »
Ah, man... being held in New Orleans this year!  I know there will be some parties going down.. And the cast of Greenleaf and Queen Sugar will be in the house!   Wow.... Dang, wish I could make it down there.  Probably won't be able to, though... shoot...   :-[

http://www.nabj.org/

Membership

2017 Convention

NABJ News

OWN'S Queen Sugar and Greenleaf Casts to Converge on #NABJ17

Today's the last day to save at the preregistration rates!
WASHINGTON, D.C. (June 30, 2017) -- The National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) is pleased to announce that the casts of OWN's "Greenleaf" and"Queen Sugar" are among those who will attend the annual A&E Task Force reception at the 2017 NABJ Convention and Career Fair in New Orleans Aug. 9-13, 2017. NABJ even received a shout-out on this week's episode of "Queen Sugar" and by Director Ava DuVernay on Twitter.

Once again, the A&E Task Force will present their "How I Landed My Dream Job Before 30" panel, which will feature Justin Tinsley of ESPN's The Undefeated, Sylvia Obell of Buzzfeed and more for an in-depth conversation on how they landed at some of the biggest media brands before hitting a milestone age. Veteran broadcast journalist Tony Harris will be back to present new documentary Black and Blue, which is a timely look at the state of police affairs and race relations on the heels of the controversial verdicts involving police shootings this week.
Finally, take time to network with A&E members at the convention, including Task Force chair Kelley L. Carter of ESPN's The Undefeated, Gerrick Kennedy of the L.A. Times, Eric Deggans of NPR, Patrick Riley of talent agency ICM and more!
Have you registered for #NABJ17 yet?

Today is your last day to save as a pre-registrant!
With over 100 workshops and training sessions available, check out the list

here, about 3,000 professionals, educators and students from across the media industry will gather at #NABJ17. From the various trainings, to the Hall of Fame Luncheon, to the infamous Sports Task Force Jam, to the Salute to Excellence Awards, #NABJ17 is the place to be in August!
Register today and save!

Pre-Register by June 30 and save:  Discounted convention pre-registration rates are still available for the #NABJ17 Convention until June 30. Attendees who pre-register can save up to 30 percent and will have opportunity to participate in more than 75 workshops led by innovative companies including Facebook and Google. Click here for pricing details and to register.

Book Your Hotel Now: Our room block is quickly filling up. Reserve your hotel room at the New Orleans Downtown Marriott, our overflow hotel. For hotel booking instructions, click here.
Programming Notes: The NABJ Career Fair opens at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017 and closes at 5 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 11. Wednesday is primed with a full day of professional development programming, including half- and full-day training sessions and standard workshops that registrants can take advantage of. Please note: Each individual workshop and convention-related programming will require a convention badge to enter the room. Be prepared and register today.

National Association of Black Journalists
1100 Knight Hall
Suite 3100
College Park, MD 20742
T: 301-405-0248
F: 301-314-1714
membership@nabj.org
www.nabj.org

workshops schedule:

http://www.nabjconvention.com/sessions.cfm
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 08:12:58 am by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Omarosa Crashes NABJ Convention, Drama Happens!!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 06:47:51 pm »
Black Journalists Turned Their Backs On Omarosa During A Panel On Police Brutality
The conference of the National Association of Black Journalists was in an uproar over the last-minute addition of Omarosa Manigault to a panel on police brutality, and the above clip shows her tension-filled appearance.

Moderators and panelists had already dropped out over the inclusion of Trump’s African-American outreach director, which some felt would prevent an authentic conversation on law enforcement and the black community from occurring. According to those behind these scenes, it’s turned into “heavy drama.” The atmosphere on stage during the panel itself was described as “toxic.” And many are asking how the conference organizers didn’t see this coming, for several black journalists turned their back on Omarosa while she appeared onstage.

The New Yorker’s Jelani Cobb said her reasons for dropping out of the panel weren’t just because Omarosa was added:

“It was that she was added at the eleventh hour and it was unclear whether we would be able to discuss substantive issues regarding the administration and its policing policies. Also, the panel was very disorganized, and basic things like format were not clear.”

Omarosa’s rise in the Trump administration has flummoxed many on both sides of the aisle. An anonymous source who spent years active in the black Republican community told the Daily Beast back in March that the reason everyone dislikes Omarosa is because “she has no mission or goal other than to make Omarosa the head sister in charge.”

Most of Omarosa’s critics are within the broader black community, which is largely are flabbergasted by her loyalty to President Trump, rather than the minorities he often excoriates. For her part, Manigault knows she isn’t popular with other African-Americans, and she resents their lack of support. “I will never forget the people who turned their backs on me when all I was trying to do was help the black community,” she once told a reporter. It turns out that was a prescient statement on how she’d be treated at the NABJ conference.

Things got so intense after last-minute moderator Ed Gordon tried to ask Omarosa about Trump’s recent rhetoric, which seemed to encourage police brutality, that she relinquished her microphone and left the stage. At that point, Sam Sanders of NPR, who had been live tweeting the panel, announced on Twitter that he needed a drink. He’s certainly not the only survivor of this year’s NABJ who will be hitting the bars of New Orleans tonight.

One question sure to come up over those cocktails, and is already blossoming on Twitter, is who on the event organization committee thought including Omarosa would be a good idea when, as she herself pointed out, she can’t comment on conversations with the President. Her capacity for discussion was limited from the outset. But if the attendees’ response to Omarosa is any indication, black journalists don’t want talking points. They want real, hard answers.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:40:58 am by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: NABJ Convention in New Orleans 2017
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 07:44:45 am »
omarosa the powerless ten percenter white house aide...
*tsk*
*tsk*
*tsk*

Saw the news footage of her looking absolutely ridiculous on that stage, pacing back & forth like a caged beast.

Someone should inform her that the topic of the conference was about unjust police killings of unarmed black citizens not random acts of gun violence.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 12:24:43 pm »
! No longer available

! No longer available

! No longer available

I checked out the argument between Omarosa and Ed Gordon and I think Omarosa succeeded, with help from some of the black journalists, in what she came to do. The focus now is on the argument between Omarosa and Gordon and not whatever serious issues were discussed at the convention. Plus, the reports on the 'drama' and then having some black journalists turn their backs on her (way to totally eschew any illusion of objectivity) also play right into Omarosa playing the victim and Trump and conservative beliefs that they are persecuted by the "left-wing" media. Omarosa has been stirring pots for over a decade now and I have to wonder if the best thing to do was to let her be on the panel and ignore her barbs and attempts to deflect and keep it on policy. Make her own up to what she's saying she is doing for blacks in the Trump White House. But as long as she can get people riled up and emotional she doesn't have to really explain what's going on in the Trump White House pertaining to blacks and her role in it.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 01:42:14 pm »

I checked out the argument between Omarosa and Ed Gordon and I think Omarosa succeeded, with help from some of the black journalists, in what she came to do.

...which is make an absolute fool of herself.  :)

Wanna know how much of an idiot she really is...? 

She's a white house aide.

She actually demanded that correspondence directed at her be entitled:

The Honorable <such and such and such>

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 11:09:21 am »
I checked out the argument between Omarosa and Ed Gordon and I think Omarosa succeeded, with help from some of the black journalists, in what she came to do. The focus now is on the argument between Omarosa and Gordon and not whatever serious issues were discussed at the convention. Plus, the reports on the 'drama' and then having some black journalists turn their backs on her (way to totally eschew any illusion of objectivity) also play right into Omarosa playing the victim and Trump and conservative beliefs that they are persecuted by the "left-wing" media. Omarosa has been stirring pots for over a decade now and I have to wonder if the best thing to do was to let her be on the panel and ignore her barbs and attempts to deflect and keep it on policy. Make her own up to what she's saying she is doing for blacks in the Trump White House. But as long as she can get people riled up and emotional she doesn't have to really explain what's going on in the Trump White House pertaining to blacks and her role in it.
I agree with your analysis, EJ.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 07:03:05 am »
The powerless 10 percenter white house maid... I mean, aide decides to step off.   ;D

Apparently, it's improper to recognize white house aides as 'Honorable' on their business letter correspondence.  :)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 09:45:37 am »
She'd make a very convincing villain in a Hudlin movie!  ;)