Author Topic: Jay Z 4:44  (Read 701 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Jay Z 4:44
« on: July 08, 2017, 08:07:58 pm »
Just listened through it a couple of times.  What are you thoughts?

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Re: Jay Z 4:44
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 06:01:19 pm »
Man, Jay-Z is one of the pillars of my "youth". Vol 2 was the first unedited CD I ever got.

DMX, Jay-Z, Nas, Em, and then when G-Unit/Shady/Aftermath basically took over. Too young for Tupac/Biggy era.

i've always had a love/hate relatinoship with Hov though. For every great song/album, another one I can't stand.

I'm having a hard time finishing 4:44... its just.... there. The "affair" stuff jsut feels like a huge publicity stunt at this point.

honeslty there were a couple songs ive liked, im just bored of Hov at this point. I've felt like he's said everything and I don't feel like his word play or rhymes are on the level of just-as-old-and-said-everything Eminem to keep me interested like Em does.

JMO

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 06:05:09 pm »
haven't bought it or listened to it yet.  I'll eventually get around to it.
Cover art is boring.  But hey, it's the streaming era, "who cares", lol..  ;)

I wish folks like Jay-Z would do more features with "classic school" acts who are still alive, e.g., Slick Rick, Public Enemy, Whodini, MC Lyte, Fat Boys, Queen Latifah, Too $hort, etc.  as well as taking them on tour with him.  I think Gen X fans would get more enthused about coming to shows, and Gen Y/Z folks would get exposed to these folks more often.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 04:11:14 pm »

I wish folks like Jay-Z would do more features with "classic school" acts who are still alive, e.g., Slick Rick, Public Enemy, Whodini, MC Lyte, Fat Boys, Queen Latifah, Too $hort, etc.  as well as taking them on tour with him.  I think Gen X fans would get more enthused about coming to shows, and Gen Y/Z folks would get exposed to these folks more often.

I don't think that's ever going to happen. Hip-Hop is music of the moment, once your moment has passed your career is over, except for nostalgia. Kids don't want to listen to their parent's rap music, it doesn't have the contemporary cool factor. I know I didn't want to listen to artists from the "yes, yes, y'all!" era of rap. I could appreciate and respect them as forefathers, but I didn't want to listen to the Cold Crush Brothers or the Funky Four plus one more.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 08:28:37 am »

I don't think that's ever going to happen. Hip-Hop is music of the moment, once your moment has passed your career is over, except for nostalgia. Kids don't want to listen to their parent's rap music, it doesn't have the contemporary cool factor. I know I didn't want to listen to artists from the "yes, yes, y'all!" era of rap. I could appreciate and respect them as forefathers, but I didn't want to listen to the Cold Crush Brothers or the Funky Four plus one more.

:) :)
the cycle of abandonment has to end!   :D Let's take hip-hop to the classic rock zone-- new folks have their shine, but veterans can still tour and sometimes collaborate with newer acts, share a bill at a festival, etc., even put out new material for radio..  Even Jay himself, at this point, is "old school".  Hopefully radio will give his new material a chance- he's got the influence to pull in anyone he wants.  Hopefully he'll show love to some of those who came before.  it would be fun, as a traveling festival.  Rock The Bells kind of fills the void, but I don't know if that's going to happen this year.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:32:20 am by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 11:44:30 am »

Harsh but true.
R&B acts can tour smaller venues until their audiences literally die. I don't know if hip-hop acts can do the same. I don't think they're going to get younger crowds though.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 02:00:28 pm »
Hip hop acts are jointing R&B artists on the oldies circuit. I just worked with a bunch of them and they tour steadily. 

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 02:03:43 pm »
Back to the subject at hand.  I think this is an impressive album, one of the few great "grown up" hip hop albums, like De La Soul's STAKES IS HIGH, that deal honestly with adult concerns. 

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 07:34:48 am »
I have no idea how to post a vid on here anymore, but check this out you'll like it.

https://youtu.be/rFnOrGKJ2_s

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 08:04:30 pm »
I have no idea how to post a vid on here anymore, but check this out you'll like it.

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline APEXABYSS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 03:16:53 pm »
IMO 4:44 good but not great. The title-track may be the best song. Depends on who you ask. J always been on some grown-man rap.
Soon to see a million. No more Big-Willy. My game is grown prefer you call me William!

Bottom-line= Jay needs Ye! He dropped his entire roca-fella label & only kept Kanye. Life of Pablo had nice production but we see Yeezy at his lyrical worst. Yep, it was that bad! Would 4:44 been better with KW beats? Absolutely.  No disrespect to No I.D., hes proven his production skills.
Duke Ellington had a partner in crime named "Billy" Strayhorn. The two composed songs together for over 20+plus years.  Batman had Robin! Word

J is the man. Yes, Ill take shots! All in the name of good fun. it's a sports fan reaction! No personal attacks. Im talkin about the body of work. A rap career you cant front on!  4:44 has the diversity I look for in hip hop. I just wish it had the cross-over appeal. He can do it. With the right help.
Story of O.J. powerful video!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 08:48:08 pm »
IMO 4:44 good but not great. The title-track may be the best song. Depends on who you ask. J always been on some grown-man rap.
Soon to see a million. No more Big-Willy. My game is grown prefer you call me William!

Bottom-line= Jay needs Ye! He dropped his entire roca-fella label & only kept Kanye. Life of Pablo had nice production but we see Yeezy at his lyrical worst. Yep, it was that bad! Would 4:44 been better with KW beats? Absolutely.  No disrespect to No I.D., hes proven his production skills.
Duke Ellington had a partner in crime named "Billy" Strayhorn. The two composed songs together for over 20+plus years.  Batman had Robin! Word

J is the man. Yes, Ill take shots! All in the name of good fun. it's a sports fan reaction! No personal attacks. Im talkin about the body of work. A rap career you cant front on!  4:44 has the diversity I look for in hip hop. I just wish it had the cross-over appeal. He can do it. With the right help.
Story of O.J. powerful video!
I've heard consistent complaints about the production.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 04:01:48 am »
Hip hop acts are jointing R&B artists on the oldies circuit. I just worked with a bunch of them and they tour steadily.

Are these the older hip-hop acts like from the 80s? Like Doug E. Fresh? I do see from time to time that older acts like Big Daddy Kane come to the DC area to perform.

I wonder though how it will be for the 00's gangsta rappers and the mumble rappers of today when both they and their audiences get older. I'm sure the 90s gangsta rappers like DMX still can tour and guys like the 00's Lil' Jon still can because they made great party music and have classic songs by this point. But I wonder who is going to want to hear all the cursing and stuff, especially if the beats aren't tight, of the music today, when these fans get into their 30s or 40s and have kids?

I wonder that about the R&B of today too. I think Chris Brown, for example, is really selling himself short. He's making music for now but not with an eye to the future and future touring. And he has the talent to make good songs that have longevity and much of his current output to me doesn't have that. It's too many n-words, etc, that make his music less appealing over time. And I wonder if the trap soul artists will all into that trap (pun intended) and not have the longevity or build up the goodwill and loyal audience that the neosoul artists like Maxwell, D'Angelo, Erykah Badu, etc. who preceded them.

Offline APEXABYSS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 11:21:16 am »
KRS ONE dropped his new album 2 months ago. Fire! Go check 2017 The World Is Mind