Author Topic: Whoopi at D23 convention: Bring Back "Song of the South"?  (Read 197 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Whoopi at D23 convention: Bring Back "Song of the South"?
« on: July 16, 2017, 04:46:54 pm »
 ::) Whoo-boy.  Oh-kayy..... Well, I guess we'll see what happens.  If this were to be finally released, I would have to put in for vacation time if I were part of Disney's PR representation.. lol..   :P

http://www.yahoo.com/movies/whoopi-goldberg-wants-disney-bring-back-song-south-start-conversation-controversial-1946-film-154030256.html

Whoopi Goldberg was named the “surprise” Disney Legend Friday at the D23 Expo in Anaheim, and she had some surprising things to say about the most infamous film in the studio’s history.

Asked by Yahoo Movies what her favorite Disney movie is, the View host and EGOT winner deferred picking favorites and instead brought up Song of the South, the 1946 Walt Disney-produced live-action/animated film that has remained unreleased for decades due to its racially insensitive portrayal of African Americans in the Reconstruction Era.

“I’m trying to find a way to get people to start having conservations about bringing Song of the South back,” she said of the film, which Disney has kept locked in its vault, refusing to issue either digitally or on disc. “So we can talk about what it was and where it came from and why it came out.”

Goldberg also pointed to the controversial crows in the 1941 animated classic Dumbo, “jive-talking” birds voiced by white men, one of which was named Jim Crow after the racial segregation laws.

“I want people to start putting crows in the merchandise, because those crows sing the song in Dumbo everybody remembers,” she said, referencing the tune “When I See an Elephant Fly.”

“I want to highlight all the little stuff people maybe miss in movies.”

Watch Goldberg’s fellow Disney Legend honoree Mark Hamill talk about his aspirations to work at Disneyland:
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Whoopi at D23 convention: Bring Back "Song of the South"?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 07:08:20 pm »
Terrible idea.  Leave it buried.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 12:34:53 pm »
Whoopi is literally in high cotton this past week, with her smacking down DeRay McKesson over the Apes film and now this. What 'conversation' is this supposed to start? And for whose benefit?

To me Whoopi is prostrating herself before whites, to show she's a 'good one'. Why she's doing this, who knows. Perhaps it's a reflex on her part.

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 11:10:24 pm »
Terrible idea.  Leave it buried.

I have long believed Disney is the Whitest thing in America
I also believe his most direct portrayal of Blacks
Could change the very definition of Race

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 01:51:02 am »
Whoopi should push for a Sunday evening program on Disney featuring Song Of The South and the return of Amos and Andy to television.

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 03:20:48 am »
Whoopi should push for a Sunday evening program on Disney featuring Song Of The South and the return of Amos and Andy to television.

I've heard it said
Amos and Andy were no worse
Than Jackie Gleason's Honeymooners was for Whites
In our 'justified' search for fairness we have chased the real talk off the radar...like Trump

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 03:49:26 am »
I have a cynical prediction.  Disney is supposed to start its self-owned streaming service in what, 2019?  I have a feeling that SOTS might end up being one of many films that are "quietly" introduced to that service.  There may be a "disclaimer" tacked on to the front of it, as well.  By putting it on a streaming service, Disney corporate can't say that they put resources into mass-manufacturing DVDs of this and it's not making them any more money than the 500+ other films in their catalog.

We'll see???   :P
Be Kind to Someone Today.