Author Topic: Justice League Movie (spoilers)  (Read 6668 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Justice League Movie (spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2017, 09:18:26 am »
Not all the blame can be laid at Rotten Tomatoes feet for sure, but the critical piling on certainly didn't help. The backlash from BVS perhaps affected all the succeeding films, but still Squad and Wonder Woman were successes.

I'll still how the legs are and if they can at least prevent the film from becoming a bomb. But I do think WB is going to be changing some things.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2017, 09:24:41 am »
Not all the blame can be laid at Rotten Tomatoes feet for sure, but the critical piling on certainly didn't help. The backlash from BVS perhaps affected all the succeeding films, but still Squad and Wonder Woman were successes.

I'll still how the legs are and if they can at least prevent the film from becoming a bomb. But I do think WB is going to be changing some things.

Will WB realize it is them themselves that are causing  alot of the issues though?

Not many higher ups look in the mirror and go "ooops I f'd up"

Maybe Johns will be their Feige (I am not sure when he came into the process and when "his" first movie is) but good lord, they need someone to control the whole thing with the execs backing off.

As MM pointed out in another thread... the JL should have likely went full "god mode" with the line up.... Supes, WW, Martian, GL (John), Flash, Aquaman, with Batman leading. The Avengers is where you see misfits and "humans" coming together... JL should have went larger than large. Screw humanizing them.

And they should have just used Darkseid.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2017, 09:35:37 am »
I don't want to get it mistaken that WB is not to blame here. First off, I don't think the movie was bad, or the trainwreck people were saying it was. Plus, mass audiences suck up all kinds of garbage and also have long tolerances as well for it (it took five Transformers films for that star to finally start setting for example). But obviously Justice League is losing with critics and audiences. So WB does have to look in the mirror and own that and figure out a way to do better. But I don't know how much they can win back the public's trust with this current DCEU. A massive "rebirth" might do it, though retaining Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.

As for Geoff Johns we don't know how much real power he is given. I mean Marvel Studios was created specifically to put out Marvel films and their track record of success keeps the Disney execs from interfering much, or too much, into what they're doing. If they start stumbling, Disney would probably step in.

With Johns and DC, they are coming late to the party and seem more like appendages to the larger WB movie behemoth. I don't know how much power they really have or if they are just glorified consultants. Though someone greenlighted Snyder and gave him a lot of leeway (though Nolan was involved as well at least with Man of Steel and he's walked away clean). It could just be the case that they bet on a bad horse with Snyder's vision, which is artistic and at times weighty, but doesn't translate well to mass audiences. His Watchmen film should've been an indication of that. While some comic book fans might want a deconstruction of heroes, the mass audience likely just wants updated versions of the heroes they are familiar with. And once the trust is established then maybe tweak it with some deconstruction like with Logan or as a kind of side movie like Deadpool that was allowed to take more risk. One of the downsides with having Johns might also have been basing the DCEU a good deal on the New 52 incarnations of the characters. I liked the New 52, but a lot of people didnt, so attempting that kind of synergy with a discredited take on the characters likely didn't endear the DCEU to a lot of comic book readers/fans as well.

Man of Steel and BVS perhaps should've been more traditional whereas you take the risk with a Suicide Squad. Wonder Woman, with a pretty traditional take on the character, resonated with audiences and critics. BVS taking cues from two alternate histories/worlds stories was already going to be niche.

As for 'godding up' I have no problem with that either. I think the Justice League has those kinds of characters and stories that are bigger than life and fit better than the Avengers. I would've dug a take on Injustice (which I'm currently reading), the Darkseid War, or one of the Crisis events. Bryan Hitch has also written some epic scope comics. I read the JL comic with Rao, the Kryptonian god. That would've been pretty sweet to see adapted.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:41:28 am by Emperorjones »

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2017, 10:48:37 am »
i think comic nerds were like "OMG ITS JUSTICE LEAGUE!!!" while hte general audience just thought "superhero movie." It wasn't special to them because none of the pervious movies made it feel special.

And yeah.. it wasn't even a horrible movie. Its much better than SS or BvS. It is definitely fun.

It is only really a failure because WB put so much money into it (300 mil production. idk where that money went) like it was a big event when it was just another cape movie.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2017, 08:50:15 am »
The idea that they had to hide the Superman reveal bit them in the butt.

The movie becomes 100 percent funner when Supes shows up but none of that got in the commercials.

Thor Ragnerok may have blown the Hulk reveal and the best gag in the movie( "friends from work") with it but it got asses in seats.

They could have puts Supes "is this guy bothering you" line or  the bit with him and Flash saving civvies (" Slowpoke" had my audience dying).

They outsmarted themselves bigtime I think.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2017, 05:55:58 pm »
Saw the movie and enjoyed it.  It is neck and neck with Wonder Woman for me.  Agree with Vic's assessment above, though I can see where the suspense surrounding whether or not Supes would be ressurected would be seen as a draw!

Peace,

Mont

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2017, 04:33:38 am »
The idea that they had to hide the Superman reveal bit them in the butt.

The movie becomes 100 percent funner when Supes shows up but none of that got in the commercials.

Thor Ragnerok may have blown the Hulk reveal and the best gag in the movie( "friends from work") with it but it got asses in seats.

They could have puts Supes "is this guy bothering you" line or  the bit with him and Flash saving civvies (" Slowpoke" had my audience dying).

They outsmarted themselves bigtime I think.

he was 100% the best part of the movie.

There is a really really really fun/well put together movie somewhere in there. this isn't a BvS situation where it was unsavable and a disaster all around.

But WB exec incompetence + two directors + late reshoots... it shows in the final product.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2017, 01:27:15 pm »
Nvm

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog