Author Topic: Justice League Movie (spoilers)  (Read 7544 times)

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Justice League Movie (spoilers)
« on: July 23, 2017, 08:58:32 am »
! No longer available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_6yBZKj-eo

somethign about this movie just isn't clicking with me. No idea why. Aquabro looks dope

Cyborg looks like poo
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:04:21 am by MindofShadow »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
Re: Justice League (Trailer 3)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 10:50:59 am »
it's diecast metal shiny. Is that it?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 01:33:17 pm »
! No longer available

Really liking the trailer. I didn't watch all of this panel but I did like that the group seems to all like each other and are having fun. I hope that translates onto the big screen.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 10:04:04 am »

oh lord, here we go again

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Justice League Movie (spoilers)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 08:11:34 pm »
I saw it tonight. I liked it. It's a definite step in the right direction though the film did have kinks. If you watch, stick around until the end. There are two post movie credits.

How I rank the DCEU films:
1. Wonder Woman
2. Justice League
3. Batman v. Superman
4. Suicide Squad
5. Man of Steel

Ironically I think General Zod was the best villain so far in the DCEU films, followed by Ares, and then Steppenwolf.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 06:36:04 pm »
This is just another reason why I ignore critics. It may not have been Citizen Kane, but I really enjoyed it and the after credit scene made me excited for a sequel.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 06:55:40 pm »
^
Absolutely. I saw it for the second time tonight. I liked it even better the second time. I think the critics have it in for DC movies for some reason. Wonder Woman is the sole exception and I think that's in part because of its feminist-leanings. The critics are in support of its supposed politics so they are big upping it majorly. Justice League is a fun film, the most fun of any of the DCEU films thus far. And it covers a lot of territory in a shortened time. I wish it had actually had another 30 minutes to really get more action scenes and character interaction. I thought the League members had good chemistry.

Whatever, and I mean whatever, Marvel puts out is automatically ranked high, but DC is basically ranked low. And they are still dogging Suicide Squad perhaps because the fans defied the critics and latched onto that film. Generally Marvel puts out good work, but also its formulaic and some of it is overrated but is buoyed by the Marvel brand. Here's particularly looking at Dr. Strange. Strange had a good cast (which most comic book films have these days) and great visuals, but the story was a slog, a been there, done that origin and another lackluster villain. At least the critics are more fair when it comes to Marvel's television shows.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 04:44:56 am »
Justice League is the only big 2 comic book movie that didnt rate well. Lego batman, logan, gog2, ww, spiderman, and thor killed it.

Critics dont like Snyder, has nothing to do with DC

The 2hr length was mandated by WB to maximize profits... which is the true probkem with DCEU... tge execs wont back off

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 05:21:41 pm »
^
Yeah, in a way it's cool that the suits are listening to fans and to critics (which can be good and bad depending on the motives behind the criticism, but I digress), but I think WB/DC has a tendency to overreact to things.

It's like in the 90s, WB wanted to make the Batman films more family friendly after the kinky and creepy Batman Returns and we ended up eventually with Batman and Robin. That was such a disaster that it freed up Christopher Nolan at least, but then that convinced WB to make Superman like Batman since the Nolan films did so well with critics and fans. I was looking at the box office and Superman Returns actually made more than Batman Begins, which I was surprised about, but that mopey film didn't leave a lot of people wanting more. Funny though, WB didn't pay attention to what happened to Superman Returns and doubled down on the dreariness.

I think Zack Snyder is a great visual director, but not a great storyteller. His Watchmen was a great-looking film, a pretty good adaptation, and even improved on the original ending of the story, however it didn't really hit at the box office so I don't get why WB entrusted Man of Steel to him and then Justice League. I think they felt behind the eightball and wanted to jumpstart their universe quickly so they grabbed him, and put him under Nolan's supervision to some extent, which was not the right choice in retrospect.

Nolan's films were the unqualified successes that they had recently so they misread the public mood and thought they should build their comics universe on a dark foundation. Big mistake.

Though I do remember feeling like Man of Steel in many ways was a rejoinder to Superman Returns. That WB looked at all the criticism that film got and then had a checklist to address it. While that made MOS a better film IMO they didn't get rid of the morose tone which was one of the biggest issues I had with Superman Returns.

But now, after the poor reaction to Batman v. Superman, the poor critical reaction to Suicide Squad,  the one unqualified success of Wonder Woman, and the continuing dominance of Marvel with it's brighter, more colorful (albeit cookie cutter approach), WB overreacted again to some extent. So the changes that the suits demanded in Justice League might be too jarring for some and don't flow as organically as they should from the previous films.  I can't fault them for at least wanting to give people what they think or what some people claim they want, but by now the brand might be so tarnished (definitely when it comes to critics) that it might be beyond saving. Which is unfortunate. I think Justice League was a good film and it set up a future I would like to see explored in future movies.

But with these poor box office predictions I don't think we are going to get another Justice League film anytime soon. And I could see WB parting ways with Affleck and Cavill. Aquaman might be too far along to scuttle but I am skeptical about them doing a Flash or Cyborg solo film now. They might do a Teen Titans movie and include Cyborg in that. Maybe Flash as well. I do think WB is going to continue with Wonder Woman and they might use her films to bring some of the League characters back. I also think that they will continue with Suicide Squad and Aquaman, Flash, or Cyborg could be put into that franchise. It's loosely tied to the other DCEU films anyway. I wonder what the status of the Rock as Black Adam and the Shazam film will be now.

I don't think they want to clean house completely, perhaps wishful thinking on my part, but I can see Affleck and Cavill, as the biggest faces here, falling on swords. If Justice League had been a major success I think all these rumors about Affleck leaving the role would have disappeared, but now, it might be a matter of time. Even if Justice League eventually turns a profit and I think it will, they will be hounded in the media about the underperforming box office and that will be the narrative, about how poorly critics and possibly moviegoers/fans are receiving the film. Like with Suicide Squad, they don't give the film it's due and how it was a hit with the fans. They always frame it as critics hating it first.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:23:29 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 12:14:18 pm »
Just good enough
Not to be bad
Like a song
From '69

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 12:36:06 pm »
Justice League.... Don't know why everyone is knocking this movie.  I enjoyed it.  I mean it's not orginal---a lot is the first Avengers movie with a bigger special effects budget and maybe little less character development.  But it's good.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 12:45:13 pm »
It's entertaining.

Its not great. Technically (as in how the movie is made) it's pretty bad, almost like a Transformers movie. And good lord, the CGI was incredibly iffy... steppenwolfe looked like garbage (and might be the worst comic movie villain if Enchantress didn't exist. He was worse than Malekith). Cyborg looked bad at times (and he should have looked like he did at the end for godsake)

I watched MoS, BvS, and WW this week in preparation and talk about a drastic tonal shift though. It was kind of jarring.

But at least it was fun. It is just a "standard" super hero flick... i think critics (and it looks like the general audience judging by the box office numbers) are just expecting more these days. The standard has been raised, especially this year when movie after movie has been great

I have a ton to talk about though if I get time this evening (gotta watch punisher)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 03:38:56 pm »
I don't disagree with a lot of what you say here, but the critics are full of crap. They take pretty much whatever Marvel gives them and they don't complain much. Snyder did try to do something different with Man of Steel and BVS. Now I'm not co-signing what he did, but it wasn't the standard kind of superhero film. Even in the opening scenes of Justice League where you see the alt-right guy attacking the Muslim shop owners or the homeless man with the thousand yard stare these images had more weight and poignancy to them than just about any other scene in an MCU movie.

But the critics have been out for DC for whatever reason. The Justice League is not a masterpiece by any stretch. It is an entertaining, enjoyable movie that's stripped down to highlight the League members. I think DC was responding to criticism. BVS had a bloated runtime, okay cut the length of JL.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Superman and Batman
are too grim, well, lighten them up. Wonder Woman is our ace in the hole, let's beef up her role in reshoots. The DCEU is lacking humor, well, let's add some humor with Flash. So they decided to make a crowd pleasing film like the critics asked for and still got slammed by the critics. I don't think the audience is really expecting more until they get it, with something fresh like Deadpool, Iron Man, The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy 1, or Wonder Woman. But MCU's success is built on a formula that has provided enough entertaining movies consistently that I think a lot of this is about branding. The audience is primed now to accept and embrace Marvel's films. With DC that brand has not been established consistently and so people are more reluctant, and perhaps more prone to listen to the critics. Marvel generally doesn't have that problem since the critics have generally liked every Marvel film. The only real criticism Marvel gets is with their television shows, and that's mainly Iron Fist and Inhumans.

In the early promotions for this film I thought Cyborg's armor looked pretty bad. In the film itself it didn't bother me that much, only a few times. And I did like the upgrade at the end. Don't see why they didn't have him looking that way throughout, though I guess the physical change was supposed to be an example of him accepting his cybernetic life now.  I can't rock with you on the Transformers comparison. Those films are uniformly terrible though they have a spectacle and grandeur that few films can match, including Justice League. With a good script and tight supervision I wonder what Michael Bay could do with a DC film, a big epic kind of film like a Crisis of Infinite Earths?

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 03:44:05 pm »
Justice League.... Don't know why everyone is knocking this movie.  I enjoyed it.  I mean it's not orginal---a lot is the first Avengers movie with a bigger special effects budget and maybe little less character development.  But it's good.

I agree mostly. It's pretty similar in plot to the Avengers. But I think it was better paced than the Avengers which was really slow in the beginning as it reintroduced characters it likely didn't need to. League did that but also had to establish Aquaman, Cyborg, and Flash. It had a tougher job. I was reading a review that compared Avengers to a season finale whereas League was like a season premiere. Avengers benefited from a well-executed plan that stoked public excitement and it provided a big payoff. Justice League was coming in wobbly, with fans uncertain what they were getting, another gem like Wonder Woman or another turd (according to the critics and not me) like BVS. So the anticipation was more like dread than pure happiness with Justice League IMO.

League might have had a bigger FX budget but I'm not sure it looked that way compared to Avengers. The Battle of New York was great. I do think more could've been done in the climatic bout in League.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 04:01:28 pm »

I agree mostly. It's pretty similar in plot to the Avengers. But I think it was better paced than the Avengers which was really slow in the beginning as it reintroduced characters it likely didn't need to. League did that but also had to establish Aquaman, Cyborg, and Flash. It had a tougher job. I was reading a review that compared Avengers to a season finale whereas League was like a season premiere. Avengers benefited from a well-executed plan that stoked public excitement and it provided a big payoff. Justice League was coming in wobbly, with fans uncertain what they were getting, another gem like Wonder Woman or another turd (according to the critics and not me) like BVS. So the anticipation was more like dread than pure happiness with Justice League IMO.

League might have had a bigger FX budget but I'm not sure it looked that way compared to Avengers. The Battle of New York was great. I do think more could've been done in the climatic bout in League.

I think the Avengers had the advantage of being first.  If this movie was come first, it might have gotten some of the acclaim that the Avengers got.