Author Topic: Best cover songs: Isley Brothers or Luther Vandross?  (Read 116 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Best cover songs: Isley Brothers or Luther Vandross?
« on: July 30, 2017, 08:42:25 pm »
Both do it so well....who's the best?

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Best cover songs: Isley Brothers or Luther Vandross?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 02:17:56 am »
Luther.

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 06:12:37 am »
More often than not, Luther covered a song so well, he made it his own. "A House Is Not A Home", "Superstar", "If Only For One Night", "Love Won't Let Me Wait"...need I go on?

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 07:51:17 am »
This is a really tough choice.  :-\

I say this because if you heard and are accustomed to the cover song before even knowing the original existed,  can bias the decision.

I've heard The Isley Brothers, "Summer Breeze" for many years before I even knew there was an original but I heard Todd Rundgren's, "Hello, It's Me" years before knowing The Isley Brothers covered it.

I'll give it to Luther Vandross because his version of The Carpenter's "Superstar" is hauntingly beautiful and sad, released at a time I was going through some serious changes. The full version of this song contains an additional verse from Aretha Franklin's, "Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)" in the intro demonstrates that Mr. Vandross gives his listeners more than what they asked for.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 03:38:26 pm by Battle »