Author Topic: Ray Lewis and Shannon Sharpe get heated debate about Colin Kaepernick  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The Ravens asked Ray Lewis for advice about taking on Kaepernick

This is the discussion he and Shannon Sharpe had about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAdDhWqJBn0

There's something deeply perverse about Ray Lewis even being in the position to give counsel on C. Kapernick, IMO....
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:25:04 pm by Vic Vega »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Thanks for posting this.

Something is very wrong with Ray Lewis's position. It makes no sense. First, the idea that people aren't discussing and some acting on violence in black communities is erroneous. Long before Black Lives Matter there was Stop the Killing. And in these discussions no one ever discusses violence in the white community. That's never brought up to stop or deflect any calls for action or change in the white community, like it is used to deflect on issues of police brutality and racism.

And when Lewis kept saying 'us', it reminded me of Malcolm X talking about how house slaves identified with their masters. "We" sick boss. SMH.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Thanks for posting this.

Something is very wrong with Ray Lewis's position. It makes no sense. First, the idea that people aren't discussing and some acting on violence in black communities is erroneous. Long before Black Lives Matter there was Stop the Killing. And in these discussions no one ever discusses violence in the white community. That's never brought up to stop or deflect any calls for action or change in the white community, like it is used to deflect on issues of police brutality and racism.

And when Lewis kept saying 'us', it reminded me of Malcolm X talking about how house slaves identified with their masters. "We" sick boss. SMH.

It's like the Million Man March or the Stop the Violence movement or even the Self Destruction video never
happened for guys like Ray Lewis.

I'm sure the dude had access to a TV or a radio in 1989.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Dude was a rat in his murder trial and an uncle tom now.

might as well stay in that lane i gues

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Thanks for posting this.

It's like the Million Man March or the Stop the Violence movement or even the Self Destruction video never
happened for guys like Ray Lewis.

I'm sure the dude had access to a TV or a radio in 1989.

Good mention of the Million Man March. I mean people who take up this 'what about black on black crime' excuse do ignore that march, do ignore sermons from Minister Farrakhan and others, including Rev. Sharpton that decry violence in the black community. They ignore the movies with anti-violence messages like Friday, Menace II Society, and New Jack City back in the day. Or Spike Lee's Chi-Raq just a year or so ago. They ignore the anti-violence and conscious hip-hop from back in the day, and even some anti-violence messages laced in gangsta rap as well. They ignore organizations/documentaries like The Interruptors.

I haven't checked, but I'm just going out on a limb and saying that probably many, to all, prominent black politicians and religious leaders have at some point talked about violence in the black community and I would say for decades.

So to me, the argument that Ray Lewis is making is one that is meant to deflect and distract from the issue of systemic racism, of which police brutality is just one of the many manifestations. Shannon Sharpe was getting there when he pointed out how black criminals are treated versus killer or brutalizing cops and Lewis had no answer for that. I wish Shannon had just kept going at him on that line and picking him completely apart but I think he was going easy on Lewis.

The idea that the Lewis argument wants to compare police officers-who are paid public officials-to criminals and basically saying the same standard should be applied to both-is very telling of what the 'blue lives matter' crowd really thinks of the police and their role in society.

And Lewis is used to turn the issue back to the black community, as if we created these problems. Now some black folks do contribute to the continuation of these problems but there are larger systemic forces at work here. Instead of taking on the white power structure he goes after relatively powerless black people to curry favor with his white masters.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
! No longer available
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Yeah, the irony of asking Ray Lewis to sit in judgment of CK is pretty rich.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
accused of double murder and ratted to get out of it.

But naw... silent protest is bad

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Lewis says he's all for protest but CK didn't go about it the right way. No one asks Lewis what he thinks is the right way. They just let him get away with not presenting an alternative.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Ray Lewis and Shannon Sharpe get heated debate about Colin Kaepernick
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 07:52:42 am »
Hmm..

No shade, but is the CFL looking for quarterbacks?  I presume generally it's not NFL money but it's not peanuts either, right?  And it's still "real" American football compared to, say, arena football (which gets unfairly maligned, IMO, but anyway..)

sidebar--

Now that the Raiders are moving to Las Vegas, what, next season?  Is there an open slot for an expansion team to get incorporated?  Maybe a team of black investors can finally get a team in place?  Maybe Kaepernick can get involved.  There should be a "Rooney Rule" for black ownership at this point, not just coaching jobs.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 05:29:56 am »
My only issue with CK is that he should stop looking for a job in the NFL. I think once he made his stand he should've known, or should know by now, that there would be repercussions. And unless he needs the money-and I hope he doesn't-he should step away from football. I think it makes him look a little thirsty to keep trying to get work from the NFL. Perhaps he's doing it to expose the racism and hypocrisy of the NFL, club owners, and fans, but his protest has already done that. Maybe he's also doing it in what will mostly be a vain effort to prick the consciences of his fellow players. Some are on board with him but many more are not. Heck, you had a young guy, a new player, last week talking about he would die on the field.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 10:23:41 am »
I respectfully disagree, EJ. If he wants to play, why shouldn't he continue to seek a job that he is qualified for? Because what exactly? He exercised his right to free speech in a peaceful manner. Plus he's in the right about the issue but for now, let's put that aside.

I don't hear many NFL players siding for his and, by extension, their first amendment rights. Richard Sherman is a notable exception. Where are the superstars who should be valuable enough to their owners to speak up?

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 01:47:50 pm »
I feel what you're saying CM. We know CK is right and deep down many of the people opposing him know he's right, but it's not the answer or behavior they expect or want out of their slaves. They want him compliant and thankfully CK decided to flip the script.

To me it's not an issue of CK's qualifications. He's got those, but he crossed a line (in the minds of the owners, many fans, and the sports media) and they want to punish him. And they do that by stringing him along, by not hiring him. I think CK should just say 'eff' them, that he doesn't need them, that he doesn't desire or want their validation. It's not fair of course, but being black is not fair. And once CK made that decision to speak out, there were going to be consequences. If he told the NFL to 'f' off how much more bold would that be? Then there's no way they can get at him, no way they can exert power over him (at least in that arena). It's an unfair sacrifice for him, but I think it's the only step left.

To keep being toyed around by the NFL as they pass him along it becomes the story rather than what he spoke out against.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 02:07:57 pm »
But he would then be out of the spotlight, off ESPN,  and no one would care anymore