Author Topic: Black Panther #17 Preview  (Read 1173 times)

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Re: Black Panther #17 Preview
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 07:46:47 am »
People who like Storm will like this issue.

This was like every other issue in this run. T'challa is more plan B than plan A (that is Storm this issue).

Everything in Season 2 is still better than Season one but whatever. Kind of numb to Coates wirting at this point. nno real reaction either way

But once again, the plot isn't moving. It is the same portal plot on repeat. Red shirts seek help, find portal, beat back monster men.  No real advancing is going on.

But what i found made me hang my head....

it looked like T'challa is relying on tech for telepathic defense. it COULD have been he broke away and then turned on the defenses for his HZ but... yeah :(

just another innate ability taken away.

Coates is anti-feat :(

i like the ghost spear though

Agree with youin mental attack review. If Storms mental training works then so should his. Emma said she couldn't get in his head.

emma couldn't

he was fighting Shadow King to an extent

resisted king cadaver

hid himself from Cable

stated in BP 2? 3? that he has had extensive telepathic resistant training

Coates isn't a comic writer, he doesn't understand how damaging stuff like this in in Rumble boards damnit!

im gonna claim he beat off the assault himself and used tech to help the HZ. ILL FIGHT THAT TO THE DEATH DAMINT!

Offline CvilleWakandan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 07:54:01 am »
During "Mosaic" even Spider-Man has a level on mental protection training to protect his identify and his family.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 08:04:38 am »

This was like every other issue in this run. T'challa is more plan B than plan A (that is Storm this issue).

Everything in Season 2 is still better than Season one but whatever. Kind of numb to Coates wirting at this point. nno real reaction either way

But once again, the plot isn't moving. It is the same portal plot on repeat. Red shirts seek help, find portal, beat back monster men.  No real advancing is going on.

it looked like T'challa is relying on tech for telepathic defense. it COULD have been he broke away and then turned on the defenses for his HZ but... yeah :(

Agree with youin mental attack review. If Storms mental training works then so should his. Emma said she couldn't get in his head.

emma couldn't

resisted king cadaver

hid himself from Cable

Coates isn't a comic writer, he doesn't understand how damaging stuff like this in in Rumble boards damnit!

im gonna claim he beat off the assault himself and used tech to help the HZ. ILL FIGHT THAT TO THE DEATH DAMINT!

There is No Excuse MoS.. Hell even in issue 2 he already established that he knew t'challa had mental resistants to telepaths hence the whole reason he confronted Zenzi alone. Its like you said. Coates is simply anti-feats. Its very telling that we are 1 issues in without a single notable feat to be had, coates doesn't care about elevating T'Challa. He made a point to have Storm says she has mental resistance because of Emma so she didn't use any bullshiit tech. Coates knows this, he is simply retconning to diminish T'Challa because he doesn't care and wants to make his story seem like there are real stakes, so instead of bumping the threat up to T'Challa's level, it serves his purpose more to dumb T'challa down and makes it easier to elevate his pet characters and the ones he likes

FUUUUUUUCK Coates and FUUUUUUUCK issue 17 with all of its bullshiit

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 08:09:01 am »
During "Mosaic" even Spider-Man has a level on mental protection training to protect his identify and his family.

too busy writing Storm wank to care about T'challa

I honestly can't tell if Marvel is really going ot put hte two back together or if this ends with them having an adult conversation that it just won't work and they finally move on.

Coates is my worst nightmare... I just don't care or like storm and now shes all up in my sh*t

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 11:07:47 am »

emma couldn't

resisted king cadaver

hid himself from Cable

There is No Excuse MoS.. Hell even in issue 2 he already established that he knew t'challa had mental resistants to telepaths hence the whole reason he confronted Zenzi alone. Its like you said. Coates is simply anti-feats. Its very telling that we are 1 issues in without a single notable feat to be had, coates doesn't care about elevating T'Challa. He made a point to have Storm says she has mental resistance because of Emma so she didn't use any bullshiit tech. Coates knows this, he is simply retconning to diminish T'Challa because he doesn't care and wants to make his story seem like there are real stakes, so instead of bumping the threat up to T'Challa's level, it serves his purpose more to dumb T'challa down and makes it easier to elevate his pet characters and the ones he likes

It was made worse because Storm fought it off.

I have no problem the telepathic... spidermen catching them off guard at all.

But... t'challa should have fought it off just like Storm once he realized what was going on.

I like the tech... but the tech should have been shown AFTER T'challa innately fought off the mind whammy

AND THAT IS WHAT I AM STICKING WITH!

HE FOUGHT IT OFF THEN PRESSED THE BUTTON!

OTHERWISE HE WOULDNT BE ABLE TO PRESS THE BUTTON

I WILL NOT ACCEPT THIS! NEVEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR

(the worst part is the story isn't moving... again. Coates wasn't "learning" in season 1... this is just who he is. Stop writing prose novels and write comic books please. The same thing has happened in every single "god portal" issue. STOP IT)

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 11:44:49 am »

emma couldn't

resisted king cadaver

hid himself from Cable

It was made worse because Storm fought it off.

I have no problem the telepathic... spidermen catching them off guard at all.

But... t'challa should have fought it off just like Storm once he realized what was going on.

I like the tech... but the tech should have been shown AFTER T'challa innately fought off the mind whammy

AND THAT IS WHAT I AM STICKING WITH!

HE FOUGHT IT OFF THEN PRESSED THE BUTTON!

OTHERWISE HE WOULDNT BE ABLE TO PRESS THE BUTTON

I WILL NOT ACCEPT THIS! NEVEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR

(the worst part is the story isn't moving... again. Coates wasn't "learning" in season 1... this is just who he is. Stop writing prose novels and write comic books please. The same thing has happened in every single "god portal" issue. STOP IT)

As i said on the CBR (Which once this issue dropped and i read what happened and HOW it happened i knew Xpac would be the FIRST to defend the garbage) it would of been a much better showing if T'Challa resisted the Telepathy using his innate training, then told his HZ to activate their anti telepathy tech. It would of been a Telapathy feat, and a tech/prep feat all rolled into one.. But that would require a higher level of thinking that Coates is incapable of, It would require actually caring to elevate T'Challa rather then beat him down. And yes Coates has learned nothing from S1, its the same exact bullshiit. Too many plots moving around, wasted panels on the same or inconsequential garbage ( Like the Storm issues) and not enough focus on the big picture. He is taking the things we wanted a writer of worth to explore and he is systemically destroying them

Offline Beware Of Geek

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 02:27:48 pm »
My thoughts:

You know, considering how fundamentally xenophobic the Wakandans are to outsiders in general (and Storm in specific) they sure embraced her damn fast, thanks to the religion we've never seen before.

Otherwise, nothing happened.  At all.  And I find myself unable to care.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 04:31:50 pm »
Has storm and tchalla been referenced in tge x world yet? I dropped most of them except astonishing, oml, and x23

Offline CvilleWakandan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 05:21:33 pm »
Has storm and tchalla been referenced in tge x world yet? I dropped most of them except astonishing, oml, and x23

Not that I know of. Storm fans complain that she is not being used over there properly anyway. Basically just there to throw lightning. That is why they gush over Coates.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2017, 06:37:18 pm »
I just hate that the full blame for tge break up falls on tchalla and tchalla alone.

Storm never gave herself fully ti wakanda, never mentioned tge big bird of doom, and team mate flooded wakanda and started a war.

Yet... tchalla is tge onky one to say sorry and grovel

Yet wakandans see her as a goddess

I mean, uf this was a storm ongoing id understand

Offline Genki Sudo

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 07:18:01 pm »
My thoughts:

You know, considering how fundamentally xenophobic the Wakandans are to outsiders in general (and Storm in specific) they sure embraced her damn fast, thanks to the religion we've never seen before.

Otherwise, nothing happened.  At all.  And I find myself unable to care.

Since Coates is trying to get a gig writing a X-Book of course he'd have Wakandans not hate, resent and fear Storm

Coates is literally writting T'Challa as a cuck and Storm fans at CBR LOOOOOOOOOOVE it

Here's how petty the X-Office is, Coates has literary ties and thus most likely from some higher up is on the "do not f*ck with" list and hasn't gotten the shade like the tail end of Hudlin's run and when he was gone since Hudlin had Hollywood connections and Marvel doesn't want that touched. Because we all know if it was a black comic writer they got from the indies we would be back to Storm randomly mentioning in a X-Book how T'Challa ain't sh*t while giving Wolverine's corpse a handy.

Now thinking about it had they not killed off Wolverine I wonder if they would have even let Coates do this teasing bullsh*t he's doing now

Offline CvilleWakandan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 10:12:10 pm »
Ta-Nehisi Coates
Ta-Nehisi Coates @tanehisicoates

BP#17 samples the immortal Dwayne McDuffie. Whoever can spot is swinging the Wu-Tang Sword in one hand, and the Green Destiny in the other.

He achieved a new low. lol

Offline Beware Of Geek

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 02:46:19 am »
That's no surprise.  He sampled "Treesong" extensively in an earlier issue.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2017, 07:05:31 am »
Ta-Nehisi Coates
Ta-Nehisi Coates @tanehisicoates

BP#17 samples the immortal Dwayne McDuffie. Whoever can spot is swinging the Wu-Tang Sword in one hand, and the Green Destiny in the other.

He achieved a new low. lol

It's about as bad as in the end of BP C he does a shout out to Priest for laying the ground work yet the only thing he took from Priest was the name. That certainly wasn't Priest Panther that showed up.

Coates needs to GTFO

Offline Beware Of Geek

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2017, 09:31:35 am »
He's also revealed that he's going to continue the Crew storyline in the main book.  Because nothing will keep readers better than a story they didn't want to read in a spinoff nobody bought. :shrug: