Author Topic: Have Comics Creators like Coates, Lost Touch With Storytelling Convention?  (Read 4142 times)

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Have Comics Creators like Coates, Lost Touch With Storytelling Convention?
« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2017, 08:48:20 pm »
Complete unique power base as well. No cape movie has a living light as a power.

Carol is just another flying brick

(still waiting for the the announcement she is a lesbian)

They won't may her a lesbian, maybe bi if they did decide to go that route.. they spent too much time and money investing in her to do something that could possibly alienate potential Revenue... Is more likely they would do that with Wanda or one of their secondary white females characters
Pull List

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 10, 2017, 09:09:05 pm »
Carol is powerful but not consistent; if she absorbed enough energy, she can hit Binary levels.  And that takes her into/near Herald level.  But most of the time, she's much weaker than that.

Monica's problem is not everyone gets her powers. Unlike a brick, which has a thousand examples or cosmic or magical energies which have no real world rules to follow, her powers are very grounded to science.  One Marvel writer told me that she's hard to write unless you understand the science behind her powers and he didn't.  That's why they got rid of her, changed her powers or write her with basically a few light powers: flight, holograms and laser blasts.  Maybe that's why I like her; I do get her powers and the science behind them.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2017, 04:26:27 am »
I don't think that would be as big of a problem in the movie world

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2017, 04:56:27 am »
Complete unique power base as well. No cape movie has a living light as a power.

Carol is just another flying brick

(still waiting for the the announcement she is a lesbian)

They won't may her a lesbian, maybe bi if they did decide to go that route.. they spent too much time and money investing in her to do something that could possibly alienate potential Revenue... Is more likely they would do that with Wanda or one of their secondary white females characters

Wanda goin for the MCU robot love lol

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2017, 07:31:32 am »
Carol is powerful but not consistent; if she absorbed enough energy, she can hit Binary levels.  And that takes her into/near Herald level.  But most of the time, she's much weaker than that.

Monica's problem is not everyone gets her powers. Unlike a brick, which has a thousand examples or cosmic or magical energies which have no real world rules to follow, her powers are very grounded to science.  One Marvel writer told me that she's hard to write unless you understand the science behind her powers and he didn't.  That's why they got rid of her, changed her powers or write her with basically a few light powers: flight, holograms and laser blasts.  Maybe that's why I like her; I do get her powers and the science behind them.

Im sorry, but that sounds more like laziness then anything. There are plenty of characters that suffer the same issue she does, and i don't think it actually has anything to do with not understanding her power. Its not as though when using her power one has to go into a whole scientific explanation as to why she was able to do what she did and try to make sense of it all. Occasionally writers will explain why a character was able to accomplish certain feats, but most of the time fans don't even care about that. and even then it only requires a simple reason. You don't need to present a whole thesis worth of theories and such. Hudlin was able to explain how Kilmonger was able to capture her in the energy sphere and how she got out. Its that easy

Offline Mortal Man

• When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 11, 2017, 09:23:07 am »
Other than maybe Mariah Hill or Nebula, I don't think any of the current females are going to be LGBT.  Most of them seem to have come into the MCU as pairings for the males.

Sex sells, and LGBT can be a hard line in the sand, so its one of those things where they don't want to leave money on the table by doing it to invested characters but they also don't want to leave money on the table by coming across intolerant and 'phobic if they don't do it in some capacity.
How many leaders you said you needed then left em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, its King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline Mortal Man

• When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 11, 2017, 09:30:11 am »
I think Monica could be very Flash-like in how it translates to the movies.  Her perception of things would be crazy.

Just gotta make her not be too powerful because, like Flash, she could be too powerful. 

Like looking at the Avengers like, i'm as fast as light, why yall even here?
How many leaders you said you needed then left em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, its King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #202 on: September 11, 2017, 09:40:43 am »
I think Monica could be very Flash-like in how it translates to the movies.  Her perception of things would be crazy.

Just gotta make her not be too powerful because, like Flash, she could be too powerful. 

You can always tone her down a bit.

MCU seems to tone down the powerhouses

- Hulk isn't busting planets

- Thor isn't going between dimensions with Mjolnir

- Odin just... yells at people lol

- Dr Strange isn't very proficient in Magic and isn't no where near classic sorcerer surpreme strange

- they own speedster, Quicksilver, died to... bullets lol
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:29:51 am by MindofShadow »

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 11, 2017, 10:00:32 am »

Yea but even that can be tempered. Fast as light, But when going  the speed of light, if she is not careful and not fully focused she can end up becoming light itself and cease to exist