Author Topic: Orville  (Read 227 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Orville
« on: September 10, 2017, 06:40:38 pm »
I saw the last half of the Orville (I didn't realize it was on).  this could actually be an interesting show if it wasn't for the comedy. But humor just is blah; grade school level humor!

Now, Galaxy Quest knew how to put humor into a Star Trek Parody.

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
Re: Orville
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 09:46:39 pm »
Felt the same.  I'll give it as many episodes as Battlestar Galactica.  It took me about 4 epoisodes for BG to get into it.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 06:52:04 am »
I agree that the humor was hit or miss. Sometimes it worked, for me in terms of a kind of looser crew than what you would normally see on Star Trek, but then other times it felt odd and misplaced. I thought the production values were pretty good, not perfect, but pretty good. And I thought it had a nice Trek feel.

I'm not hooked yet, but I will continue watching. When I first saw the trailer I was thinking that this series needed to be a 30-minute episode series because I thought an hour-long sci-fi comedy/Trek spoof wouldn't work. But in light of what Kip was saying, I could also see it working as an hour-long show, but removing the juvenile humor. Keep it somewhat light but not the MacFarlane style toilet humor.

Marvelous,

BSG hooked me right from the miniseries. I thought the first season was perfect and the second season was close to it. But it started losing me in the third season, the second half of the third season, and the third season finale I hated. And at that point, I was pretty much done with the show. I watched it from time to time, but I was no longer a committed viewer.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:53:35 am by Emperorjones »

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 06:47:45 pm »
Oh yeah on Orville, I think the Krill went to the Stormtrooper Academy because they can't hit anything

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 07:51:24 pm »
Yeah. I noticed that.

I did like though that the Orville took some major damage in the first episode. I wasn't expecting that.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 11:27:53 am »
i liked it.
if it wanted to, it could be a legit space show.
i appreciate that the humor isn't FULL family guy humor.
all in all, everything worked for me.
the cast, the direction, the writing.
i'm totally invested...and i can't remember seeing so many black people in a space show at one time since DS9

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 09:44:21 am »
Agreed!  Never been a Seth fan so wasn't sure what to expect, but I really liked The Orville premiere!  The humor was not outlandish; I'd be okay if they kept it right where it is while mixing in some heavier, more dramatic stories here and there, but keeping an overall lighter tone than Trek.  Nice reveal at the end, I became somewhat enamored with Pailicki from Agents of Shield so it was a nice surprise for me to see her on crew!

Peace,

Mont

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 11:32:02 am »
ok, explain the reveal.
what's going on?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 07:57:09 pm »
S P O I L E R S ---------

The Captain's ex-wife pulled strings to get him the Orville command.  The Admiral owed her father.  Otherwise, he would have never been offered the captain's chair. 

Peace,

Mont

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 12:52:12 pm »
Anyone know of any involvement from people of color behind the scenes?  Writing, directing?  Costuming?  FX?

McFarlane was responsible for the brief revival of Cosmos.  Is Neil Degrasse Tyson a science consultant on this show?
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 06:03:24 am »
Anyone know of any involvement from people of color behind the scenes?  Writing, directing?  Costuming?  FX?

McFarlane was responsible for the brief revival of Cosmos.  Is Neil Degrasse Tyson a science consultant on this show?

3 of the main actors are Black. I was pleasantly surprised. The Black helmsman started out as a PA for Seth on Family Guy...if I read that correctly.

Kimoyo, Thanks! Wow, I guess his ex-wife DOES still love him.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 07:23:11 am »
I don't think the show has a good idea of what it wants to be yet.

Is it a workplace comedy set in a Trek like Universe.

Is the idea is that unlike the Paragons of the Trek series, the crew of the Orville are as selfish, lazy, and vindictive as the guys as the average unhappy office workers are? Only the helmsman seems like that.

But its not really a Trek parody either.

Its an odd thing.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 08:09:25 am »
I enjoyed the second episode better than the first. The humor was still there, but it was more toned down. I liked how unprepared some of the crew are, how emotional they can be. And the FX continues to impress.

It was a good character building episode for the character Kitan and also shedded more light on Bortus. The major issue I had with the set up was that Bortus could have just commanded the ship from his room and didn't have to be on the bridge. I think it might have worked better if Bortus left the ship so he was totally out of communication so Kitan couldn't go to him.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 10:33:34 am »

Is it a workplace comedy set in a Trek like Universe.

This. I said this exactly after I watched the first episode.

And as for it moving to Thursdays, it's better than the deadly Friday slot.  That's where Fox SciFi shows go to die...slowly.
And College Football rules Saturdays.

As for next Sunday, it couldn't air on Sunday. As big a Star Trek fan Seth is, I don't think he wanted to compete with Star Trek: Discovery on CBS.

(But I think Fox bumped up the premiere of the show to take away some of Star Trek's shine, though. lol.)

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Today at 07:34:54 am »
I enjoyed the second episode better than the first. The humor was still there, but it was more toned down. I liked how unprepared some of the crew are, how emotional they can be. And the FX continues to impress.

Agreed!

It was a good character building episode for the character Kitan and also shedded more light on Bortus. The major issue I had with the set up was that Bortus could have just commanded the ship from his room and didn't have to be on the bridge. I think it might have worked better if Bortus left the ship so he was totally out of communication so Kitan couldn't go to him.

Disagree here.  I think the choice made helped develop Bortus' character, establishing his personal dividing line on his sense of responsibility between work and family.  I agree Kitan's character got good build here and this was good to happen early on.  IMO, the Orville took an important stance here and present Bortus as a responsible role model.

The third episode furthered the development of not only Bortus, but the crew as well as we learn more about the make up of the crew and their sensibilities related to a very sensitive and complex case of gender equity, personal vs parental rights and societal influence.  To enlighten through this crew's helmsmen using Rankin & Bass' Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer was hilariously appropriate and charming!  The humor of the Orville continues to be a delightful surprise, but don't sleep on the issues they are addressing as well.  Hopefully their agenda doesn't take them too boldly beyond that which their audience can sustain?

Peace,

Mont