Author Topic: "It" Stutters  (Read 114 times)

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
"It" Stutters
« on: September 10, 2017, 08:04:40 pm »
A main character stutters
Hitchcock could master stutters
This movie couldn't master a clown

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Re: "It" Stutters
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 08:06:04 pm »
This movie made more money in the first weekend that WW and Spider-Man, despite two hurricanes going on right now

179 on a 35mil budget... 87% on RT

I don't watch horror movies but it killed the game

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 02:57:03 pm »
I thought the remake was pretty good. Not as good as the 1990 miniseries, but still one of the better Stephen King adaptations. My quibbles with it are small. I thought the actor playing Pennywise was good, however I think he was a bit too eager, too early on.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Also I think the character lacked because the movie/story didn't set any limits for him. So it made little sense for him not to kill the kids when he had them one on one, outside of he wanted to play with his food or that making them more scared made them taste better. However if Pennywise is very hungry would he waste time playing those games? Or would it be an issue of quantity and not quality. From what I take of it, he's trying to get full before he goes away for 27 years.

My other quibble was the treatment of the black character. In the 1990 miniseries they clearly showed that Mike was attacked for being black. But that was never mentioned in the remake. He was described as being home schooled.
One You Tube reviewer I listen to pointed out that Mike's role among the teens as the town historian was given to the tubby kid. I couldn't quite remember from the 1990 It but yeah, I think it was. Even in the remake, toward the end, we see Mike talking a bit about the town, however he wasn't really allowed to be the 'smart' kid in this film.

Mike did get one big heroic moment-which was cheered by some in the audience I watched the movie with-but generally he was mostly an afterthought throughout the film. I think the 1990 miniseries handled his character better.

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 03:15:13 pm »
I thought the remake was pretty good. Not as good as the 1990 miniseries, but still one of the better Stephen King adaptations. My quibbles with it are small. I thought the actor playing Pennywise was good, however I think he was a bit too eager, too early on.
Also I think the character lacked because the movie/story didn't set any limits for him. So it made little sense for him not to kill the kids when he had them one on one, outside of he wanted to play with his food or that making them more scared made them taste better. However if Pennywise is very hungry would he waste time playing those games? Or would it be an issue of quantity and not quality. From what I take of it, he's trying to get full before he goes away for 27 years.

My other quibble was the treatment of the black character. In the 1990 miniseries they clearly showed that Mike was attacked for being black. But that was never mentioned in the remake. He was described as being home schooled.
One You Tube reviewer I listen to pointed out that Mike's role among the teens as the town historian was given to the tubby kid. I couldn't quite remember from the 1990 It but yeah, I think it was. Even in the remake, toward the end, we see Mike talking a bit about the town, however he wasn't really allowed to be the 'smart' kid in this film.

Mike did get one big heroic moment-which was cheered by some in the audience I watched the movie with-but generally he was mostly an afterthought throughout the film. I think the 1990 miniseries handled his character better.

To a fair degree it was a bonding with my kid
And it was the movie of the week...so
He said that it wasn't that scarey
I saw a routine clown story
"Forced" characters
& Weak acting
The Trailer
BRILLIANT

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:48:34 am »

you will love this then....

"My idea of Mike in the second movie is quite darker from the book. "I want to make his character the one pivotal character who brings them all together, but staying in Derry took a toll with him. I want him to be a junkie actually. A librarian junkie. When the second movie starts, hes a wreck. Hes not just the collector of knowledge of what Pennywise has been doing in Derry. He will bear the role of trying to figure out how to defeat him. Only way he can do that is take drugs and alter his mind."

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 05:31:24 am »
OMG. Thanks for posting this. This is a terrible idea. Would they have described a white character as a junkie? Look, they established the chunky white kid as the knowledgeable one about the town so why change it now? And why take the black kid, who is the designated outsider who has loose ties to the town and have him stick around and become a library and likely actual junkie? It doesn't flow organically from the characters established in the first film.

I could see the big kid sticking around, learning more. Whereas the black kid should want to get the hell away from Derry and his grandfather and the slaughter business. Really though, I can't see any of them sticking around.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 09:11:57 pm »
I want to read the book again more than I want to see the movie.