Author Topic: Bendis is Leaving Marvel for DC  (Read 3753 times)

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Bendis is Leaving Marvel for DC
« on: November 07, 2017, 06:28:39 am »
I am scared and excited for what this means for Miles.

We will see two things in regards to Miles...

1. How much do the higher ups care about him? If he gets another "named" writer... then they care. If he gets someone like Walker... then they really don't give a sh*t and it was Bendis this whole time propping the character up.

2. How many Miles fans are actually Bendis fans...

I don't know what ot think...

Although I do like Defenders and JJ is ok... I am glad Bendis is leaving. He had too much power at Marvel.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Bendis is Leaving Marvel for DC
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 06:51:25 am »

1. How much do the higher ups care about him? If he gets another "named" writer... then they care. If he gets someone like Walker... then they really don't give a sh*t and it was Bendis this whole time propping the character up.

Although I do like Defenders and JJ is ok... I am glad Bendis is leaving. He had too much power at Marvel.

Thing is, what other named writer is left at Marvel at this point? Slott?

Spider books are about the only thing of Slott's that ever sell. So that could work. 

Other than Spider Slott, right now Marvel has a lot of journeymen, some old guard stalwarts, some niche dudes, and some guys from the big league entertainment industry doing books but none of them IMO, are going to give Marvel the captive audience that Bendis has had for like what feels like decades.

Come to think of it, DC now has under contract all the captive audience writers (Ellis, Morrrison and now Bendis) that are still working in Comics. Even if Morrison only puts out one graphic novel ever 5 years now.

Marvel might as well call Clairmont and offer him a blank check. It's that bad.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 07:05:55 am »

Spider books are about the only thing of Slott's that ever sell. So that could work. 

Other than Spider Slott, right now Marvel has a lot of journeymen, some old guard stalwarts, some niche dudes, and some guys from the big league entertainment industry doing books but none of them IMO, are going to give Marvel the captive audience that Bendis has had for like what feels like decades.

Come to think of it, DC now has under contract all the captive audience writers (Ellis, Morrrison and now Bendis) that are still working in Comics. Even if Morrison only puts out one graphic novel ever 5 years now.

Aaron and Slott are the biggest

then after than you have the Waid, Lemire, Duggan, Soule, Spencer, Bunn territory

then drop down to the Ewing, Guggenheim, and Walkers of the world.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 07:19:45 am »
If Slott can do with Miles what he did with Superior Spider-Man, I'll add it to my pull list.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 10:39:32 am »
I wish I could write Miles.  Alas, I have zippo experience in writing published comics yet.   ;)

who wrote the Miles prose novel that's out now?  Maybe..

Or also, Mr. Reggie?  Redjack?  Hmm...

I have a feeling that Priest might balk at being offered Miles over Peter Parker.. though I doubt he would mind using him in a group context.  Hmm..

Additionally, I really hope that this doesn't mean that Priest is going to get bumped from his new gig with the Justice League title. I know that DC Editorial are prone to give Mr. Bendis carte blanche, but... well, we'll see where this goes. Maybe he goes to the Batman titles and deals with the street level world.. or maybe he goes cosmic with a green lantern title. we'll see. hopefully he'll create some new minority heroes.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:19:47 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 10:01:56 pm »

CC writing is complete trash & based only in his personal nostalgia/tropes or slight remixes ( and I mean slight ) that usually only ends up pushing characters in reverse.. That would literally right here waste of paper.

They Still Waid, Aaron & their others folks that's on the Star Wars books duty either only or mostly..
Pull List

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 10:37:42 pm »

I'm glad BMB is leaving & in long term Marvel will be better for it.. It was long past time point where he needed not to place head of course certain franchises..

I think Miles will be just mind & will finally get the black voice writing him regularly that he needs.

Riri will more than likely be hurt the most I see her either joining Miles supporting cast, staying part IM cast & joining champion..I think they will try for her solo, but it won't last more than 12-15 issue b4 she goes to 1 or all of the options I meantion above..

J.Jones - case is one I find most interesting.. Much of current comic appeal seems to be BMB return to the character so it will be very interesting to see who they get to replace him on that book.. also we should tackle the elephant in the room. A lot of Jones's fanbase hates Luke Cage or that she's married in general or Danni or or the combination of all three. And want to see a version similar to the TV show or how she originally started out.
And a lot of Luke Cage fans feel the same way about Jones, so that leaves you to the point where neither character can bring a decent amount of each other's fan base to read each other book.  So I'm very interested to see what they say do long-term with that situation..

Defenders will be fine long as they don't BS on the artist Imo if they put a lift in a Les artist on it then I think it'll be doom long-term..

Also very interested to see who Marvel hands over the keys to the kingdom so to speak if at all..

Waid is overall their top writer but he doesn't sell as well at times because various reasons.. Aaron would be their 1b but he can he very hit or miss.. those two are the obvious..

Slott doesn't seems to be able or allowed to write anything that's not edited within the Spider-Man editing group.. So who knows what changes will happen with him, but imo it's time for a new voice for Peter Parker as well..

Duggan - imo is their most talented writer..

Ewing, Soule, Spencer, Walker, Zub, & few others all interesting because at times it seems like Marvel is interested in pushing them at times but then they were either at best half ass or sabotage them or allow them to sabotage themselves.. will BMB finally leaving be the wake-up call they'll stop half-assing and have pushing them will be interesting to see..

Priest is writing a inhuman mini for them for them right now I wonder if they will offer him something more higher profile.
Pull List

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 05:17:15 am »
I definitely think from a story telling perspective, Miles is going to really benefit from Bendis leaving.... as long as they give him a writer that will become his new "architect."

Because dude REALLY needs his villains beefed up... his own. Tombstone ain't gonna cut it. At least Bendis
Spoiler (click to reveal)
brought his uncle back from the dead.

But art wise... he could really suffer losing that Bendis A list artist he always gets. and Sales wise, it coudl really hurt going from Bendis to some new guy or someone like Walker. So its going to be a little tricky finding his footing sales wise.

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 08:45:10 pm »
Aaron and Slott are the biggest

then after than you have the Waid, Lemire, Duggan, Soule, Spencer, Bunn territory

then drop down to the Ewing, Guggenheim, and Walkers of the world.

Pretty much all of whom I prefer over Bendis. I like some of his creator owned stuff but very little of what he did at marvel. This supposedly big change would just mean there might be more marvel books I'd be interested in now, lol (if I was still a big collector of "the big 2").
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 03:01:25 pm »
I really like Ewing.
I hope that he gets a BIG push to play with the Big toys, too!

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 12:13:18 pm »
As someone who is a much bigger DC fan than Marvel fan, all I can say is “ugh.”

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 02:22:08 pm »
hmm.... if he can give a boost to some of the more obscure folks in their universe, my guess is that editorial will probably appreciate it.  I have no idea who he's partial to, though.  Is there a "Luke Cage" over at DC waiting in the wings?

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 09:27:19 am »
I read an article saying that he'd be a great person to write minority characters.  That messed with me for a moment.
I was like...huh?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 09:34:58 am »
I read an article saying that he'd be a great person to write minority characters.  That messed with me for a moment.
I was like...huh?

That is because he popularized/created/had control over two of the three biggest POC characters are Marvel (Miles and Cage, third being T'challa).

And tried to create another that will likely go bye bye once he leaves (RiRi)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 02:06:01 pm »
I was like...huh?

That is because he popularized/created/had control over two of the three biggest POC characters are Marvel (Miles and Cage, third being T'challa).

And tried to create another that will likely go bye bye once he leaves (RiRi)

I'd like to write RiRi.  I think it would be fun.  (Marvel should have a "Be a Writer for a Week!" promotion, sign me up!)  She shouldn't be marginalized.  I think that Marvel has the chance to have their own Static with her.  Seriously.  They should bring her into the cartoons and give her a solo show or have the Champions with her, Ms. Marvel, and the other teens.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:10:11 pm by Hypestyle »