Author Topic: The Wakandan, Nezhno/Gentle, is Back  (Read 3677 times)

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
The Wakandan, Nezhno/Gentle, is Back
« on: November 13, 2017, 09:09:24 am »
and hes hanging out with... Namor?

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Wakandan, Nezhno/Gentle, is Back
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 09:16:50 am »
Namor has fallen on hard times again? Did Atlantis get destroyed again?
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:28:11 am »
last i saw, hyperion helped fix Atlantis once they brought Namor back

it seemed fine in Secret Empire other than NAmor being a weenie

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 10:29:59 am »
congrats? Maybe he will do something rather then be Wall paper like storm

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 10:51:04 am »

im going to go out on a limb and say he will be the background black for the xmen, just like storm

hell... he doesn't even like to fight right? Namor is sooooooooo going to be picking at him constantly

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 01:58:52 pm »
Gentle.... I hate that name!

The only way I would even think of looking at that name is if it was an opposite name like a tall guy called Shorty.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:03:49 pm by KIP LEWIS »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 03:04:13 pm »
Namor is there so he can get with Jean.
Operation "Wear her down" is his Atlantean specialty

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 04:15:03 pm »

im going to go out on a limb and say he will be the background black for the xmen, just like storm

hell... he doesn't even like to fight right? Namor is sooooooooo going to be picking at him constantly

it's laughable really, I would not be surprised if they used gentle to take pot shots at Wakanda or blacks in general

Offline Amenra11

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 07:42:11 am »
I predict he will put on his magic negro hat and forgive Namor for flooding Wakanda.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 07:50:00 am »
I predict he will put on his magic negro hat and forgive Namor for flooding Wakanda.

Or worse, claim that Wakanda "Got what was coming to them" or some shizz like that

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 09:07:09 am »

The only way I would even think of looking at that name is if it was an opposite name like a tall guy called Shorty.

its a horrible f*cking name.

You think any kid sees him and pretends to be "Gentle" on the playground?

especially sense, if memory serves me right... he doesn't like combat/fight/borderline pacifist.

He could be an interesting character if he was used in the Black Panther mythos instead of the Xmen mythos. You dont see many mutants in Wakanda, he's only half wakandan if I remember correctly (he's half white right?), he is a borderline pacifist in a country of warriors... at the same time he is VERY powerful if he lets loose... and at the same time that power is killing him (I think). THAT you can make an interesting character out of.

But in the X world? He's just another brick at best. His only use is likely "hold back because he is a pacifist and then hulk out at the end to save the day" type of thing.

It sucks he is an Xman first... he would be interesting int he BP books and potential movies actually. He would have been a much better "sidekick" than Eden (who has no place in Wakanda). But, withotu full control why bother?

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 11:03:39 am »
^
I agree with both you and Kip about the name. I mean it's almost like cutting the character off at the knees from jump. Naming him Gentle in a medium that focuses often on violent action hobbles him. Especially if that name is not subverted. I mean, if he was called "Gentle" but was one of the most vicious killers from Weapon X for example that might work. It would be mysterious and maybe bad ass, but to name him Gentle and then for him to actually be a pacifist speaks more to white unease about black aggression and violence, particularly about black male aggression and violence, than building up this character and making him interesting and a valuable member of the team. What adult male or younger male for that example wants to be called Gentle? This is some white projection stuff here.

I doubt Gentle will be doing much saving of the this team, not with Jean Grey leading it, and Namor also on it. If anything, Gentle will be the 'conscience' or the 'soul' of the team. He'll get some internal monologues as he waxes about his own fears and his abhorrence of violence, which is then undercut by seeing X-Men: Red kicking ass to solve problems. And Gentle might also get the "Worf" treatment where he is the measuring stick to show how badass an enemy is by trouncing the big swoll dude first.

I agree that Gentle would work better in a Black Panther series, or even The Crew. But on the X-Men team he sticks out as a token and one that will depicted weaker (despite his strength) in comparison to the others.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 11:05:15 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 11:07:01 am »

it's laughable really, I would not be surprised if they used gentle to take pot shots at Wakanda or blacks in general

I don't think that is out of the realm of possibility at all.

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 11:45:45 am »

To be fair, "magical safe negro" probably wasn't a subtle enough codename at the time.

But they did the best they could to still get the point across.
How many leaders you said you needed then left em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, its King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 02:24:40 pm »
A picture and list of the whole team:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/11/13/x-men-red-team/

Surprising there are two black characters on the team. A new character called Trinary. Surprisingly she doesn't have blonde or non-black colored hair (though those grayish highlights might not just be artistic flair) and she has dark brown eyes like the majority of black people. I wonder if she will be homosexual or into non-black guys? And I wonder if she and Gentle will get along?

Overall looking at this list, with the new Wolverine and her clone on the team, along with Jean Grey, Nightcrawler, and Namor, Gentle is not the powerhouse on this team. With Nightcrawler on the team he might not even be the 'heart' of the team. So why is he on the team I wonder. Perhaps to be a punching bag or a way to throw shade at Black Panther, Wakandans, which are proxies for Africans (blacks).