Author Topic: Rise of the Black Panther #2 (solicit)  (Read 7729 times)

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Re: Rise of the Black Panther #2 (solicit)
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2018, 04:56:07 am »
http://www.cbr.com/black-panther-new-power/

I skimmed this article and I'm concerned about this. I did read the first issue of Rise of the Black Panther and taught it was a decent, not spectacular story of T'Chaka, his wives, and young T'Challa. But is the second issue moving into this Ta-Nehisi/'woke'/black feminist territory like this article suggests? If so, then I won't be buying another issue.

Why does the black male hero have to be the test case for weak protagonists? If it was a female character they would be pushing that she needs little to zero male support, that it would de-power her. I could be more on board with the idea of showing a 'weak' protagonist if it was a white male character. I have no problem when Batman gets his cowl handed to him from time to time and reaches out the Batfamily, in part because he's generally portrayed as so kick ass the majority of the time. But for black superheroes, who have a very spotty history of even being near the spotlight, for Black Panther to be in this space now, I want to see him as kick ass and in control, I want to see him take action, and not merely consult, or let women take action for him. I feel this is a slick way to justify punking T'Challa out.

Addendum: Never mind. I see you all are on this and have cut it up.

- Issue starts with T'challa putting a beat down on a thieves. No hesitation, no "hit me" crap, just whoops their ass
- Issue then goes straight to a pure male fantasy trial by combat with a bunch of dudes on the ground around T'challa, who then beats up 2 doras and then Syan
- he then talks about marvel universe issues with syan, never once backing down to his uncle who disagreed with him vehemetely
- he then makes a declaration to all Wakanda that he will find the kidnapped people. He then goes to hunt for the kidnap people by himself. Shuri was simply the "guy in the chair"
- single handidly fights Namor
- teams up with namor to storm the place where the bad guys are at
- downloads all the files on Atlanteans for further use if need be.

there was no weak male protaganist at all. This was typical comic stuff... aka the lead character is the lead in the book and does all the cool stuff. aka what Coates calls a "male power fantasy"

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2018, 08:16:34 am »
4 Dora's actually   8)

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2018, 09:03:28 am »

> 35. Rise of Black Panther #1 (Marvel) - 40,897 [24]

at least we broke 40K

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2018, 09:12:11 am »
Nevermind.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2018, 10:23:25 am »
Hey better then BP Crew. Of we can stay at 40k and digital sales are good need might get an ongoing out of it

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2018, 10:33:32 am »
40k isn't terrible. Usually or often a book's initial sales are slashed 1/3rd to half from issue 1 to issue 2.

example: Ultimates debuted at 60k, then issue 2 sales was half that at 30ks, and then it dropped to the 20ks where we all know it stayed afloat for almost 2 years.

My gut instinct says Rise is going to limp to it's issue #6 finish but i if we can somehow pull an Ultimates and abruptly stop the bleeding in the 20ks, that would be an accomplishment all things considered
How many leaders you said you needed then left ‘em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, it’s King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2018, 10:40:25 am »
If it can drop 5k that would be perfect

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 12, 2018, 10:51:35 am »

I skimmed this article and I'm concerned about this. I did read the first issue of Rise of the Black Panther and taught it was a decent, not spectacular story of T'Chaka, his wives, and young T'Challa. But is the second issue moving into this Ta-Nehisi/'woke'/black feminist territory like this article suggests? If so, then I won't be buying another issue.

Why does the black male hero have to be the test case for weak protagonists? If it was a female character they would be pushing that she needs little to zero male support, that it would de-power her. I could be more on board with the idea of showing a 'weak' protagonist if it was a white male character. I have no problem when Batman gets his cowl handed to him from time to time and reaches out the Batfamily, in part because he's generally portrayed as so kick ass the majority of the time. But for black superheroes, who have a very spotty history of even being near the spotlight, for Black Panther to be in this space now, I want to see him as kick ass and in control, I want to see him take action, and not merely consult, or let women take action for him. I feel this is a slick way to justify punking T'Challa out.

- Issue starts with T'challa putting a beat down on a thieves. No hesitation, no "hit me" crap, just whoops their ass
- Issue then goes straight to a pure male fantasy trial by combat with a bunch of dudes on the ground around T'challa, who then beats up 2 doras and then Syan
- he then talks about marvel universe issues with syan, never once backing down to his uncle who disagreed with him vehemetely
- he then makes a declaration to all Wakanda that he will find the kidnapped people. He then goes to hunt for the kidnap people by himself. Shuri was simply the "guy in the chair"

there was no weak male protaganist at all. This was typical comic stuff... aka the lead character is the lead in the book and does all the cool stuff. aka what Coates calls a "male power fantasy"

sh*t articles like that another reason why your blog is so important..
Pull List

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2018, 11:48:36 am »

Your reaction is why I said its a conspiracy. The article was designed to elicit that kind of reaction.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2018, 10:30:24 am »

Thanks. I was worried for a second there.

Offline Beware Of Geek

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 22, 2018, 07:49:03 am »
And just like that, Narcisse loses me:

RISE OF THE BLACK PANTHER #5 (of 6)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
• Just as Wakanda comes onto the global stage, enemies close by make their move! The Hyena Clan is out to exploit the country’s vast technology — and with a new king on the throne, it’s a perfect time to strike.
• Assaulted on all fronts, T’Challa seeks out a love he left behind: Ororo Munroe, soon-to-be Storm of the X-Men. A missing chapter of the Black Panther and Storm’s lifelong romance comes to light!
• And it’s a triple threat as a traitor gathers forces. What is Project Koukou — and who is behind it?!

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 22, 2018, 08:02:36 am »
Ugh. I mean, I guess it was inevitable Because he had been essentially consolidating all of the origin and such. But man I hope this isn't some bs. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt Though Because so far he has been good with T'Challa

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2018, 09:30:37 am »
How many leaders you said you needed then left ‘em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, it’s King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #163 on: March 29, 2018, 06:28:38 am »
interesting