Author Topic: ALIEN franchise  (Read 5943 times)

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: ALIEN franchise
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2019, 08:21:36 pm »

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: ALIEN franchise
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2020, 03:32:32 pm »
I finished William Gibson's Alien 3, a graphic novel adaptation of one of the sci-fi author's Alien 3 scripts. I had heard about Gibson's script years ago and thought it was intriguing. So I was eager to check out this adaptation. Johnnie Christmas, a brother, adapted the screen play into comics form.

Finished the graphic novel today and I do think this was a better story, in many respects, than the Alien 3 film.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
This story doesn't just kill off Hicks and Newt, and it feels like more of a sequel to Aliens, in many respects. Both Hicks and Newt survive the whole story even. One drawback is Ripley is barely in the story, and from the foreword it appears that that was intended in the story treatment that Gibson had to work with. Not sure why the studio wanted less involvement of the Ripley character. Perhaps Sigourney Weaver didn't have the time to do the whole film or she was looking for an out, or the studio was. Either way, how Ripley was handled would certainly not set well with many fans. Of the new characters, one stand out was the ecologist Spence, a black woman. Don't know if that was the intention, but it would've been cool to see this character if this version had been made. Thinking back to the early 1990s, maybe Theresa Randle, Gloria Ruben, Halle Berry, maybe Debbie Morgan could've been in that role. (I was trying to think of some early '90s black actresses). There was another black scientist who was also prominent. I liked the relationship between him and Spence. Only thing I didn't care for was that one white character called him 'lazy' and then another barked at him, but with that character being from Weyland-Yutani, they were supposed to be jerks anyway. And I felt the scientist did hold us own for the most part. Casting him, I would say maybe Henry Simmons, but I can't think of anyone else fitting that role.

With Ripley being mostly off the board, more spotlight was given to Hicks and Bishop.
T
hough really a lot of time was spent with new characters, on Anchorpoint Station and then the rival Union of Progressive Peoples.
Gibson's Alien 3 was much more political and I liked how it fleshed out the political scene of the Alien universe, while giving more rationale for Weyland-Yutani's obsession with obtaining xenomorph DNA.

Gibson also had his own spin on the aliens. The AVP wiki did help shed light on what Gibson was doing with the aliens. I thought his take was okay, but the artwork wasn't always the best so I wasn't too impressed overall. I also had trouble at times keeping up with the characters or following the action.

If you're an Alien fan, yet found Alien 3 disappointing, I recommend checking this graphic novel out to see what might have been.