Author Topic: ALIEN franchise  (Read 5050 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: ALIEN franchise
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 05:13:02 pm »
Actually... this is the official trailer.  Was discussing this in another forum this morning.

Alien: Isolation Digital Series - Exclusive Launch Trailer

Would You Like To See More?

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 09:02:18 am »
I watched the IGN Alien: Isolation webseries. I was disappointed. From what I could tell there wasn't much change from the cut scenes of the video game I watched years ago, though I read some new scenes were added to make it flow better, and I also heard on a You Tube review that the ending was changed. And the video game visuals don't hold up, especially for a webseries. I was more charitable when it was just cut scenes for a video game. The webseries looked and felt cheap to me, and I think it might piss off old fans instead of pleasing them, and also that I don't see how it does much to get new fans. The webseries format (several 10-13 minute episodes) made it harder to follow the story as well. The bright spots for me were the premise, the use of Amanda Ripley, some of the production designs, and the voice acting.

When I look at animated offerings from Star Wars, Marvel, and DC, or even the last Starship Troopers film, Traitor of Mars, there's just no excuse to put out an animated work of such poor quality. I've seen a Dead Space animated film, and I know Halo has animated offerings, and I think Mass Effect does as well, so there's just no excuse for Fox or IGN to have greenlighted this webseries and not made it better.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:04:23 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 02:58:46 pm »
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 06:00:56 am »
http://www.cbr.com/alien-high-school-play/

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 06:51:10 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2019, 06:46:40 am »
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

http://www.ign.com/videos/2019/03/29/alien-40th-anniversary-short-film-containment

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2019, 06:50:17 am »
I watched Alien: Containment, the first of six short films to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the original Alien this year.

I thought it was a decent short film (under ten minutes) that got the tone and feel of the original film. They did a lot with a little and I liked how they used the xenomorph, and contended with whatever budget constraints they were under. But overall, the production values looked fine.

For what I consider a fan film the acting was pretty good for that. The characters and the scene setting could've had a bit more fleshing out. I also had to look at it again to understand the main action sequence which wasn't clear to me at first.

But overall, I thought it was better than IGN's Alien: Isolation.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2019, 05:53:03 pm »
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2019, 05:53:52 pm »
I checked out Alien: Specimen. I liked Containment more, but for the most part Specimen wasn't a bad film.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I really enjoyed the twist at the end with the android dog.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2019, 06:07:22 pm »
I checked out Alien: Specimen. I liked Containment more...

'Alien: Containment' was a nice effort in the right direction but not as good as Scott's scenes in 'Alien'.

So far, these shorts really do reveal how brilliant the original 'Alien' and 'Prometheus' were.   The actors in the original can naturally emote to advance the plot. 

Although clunky by today's standards, scenes in 'Alien' can make accidents look very convincing.

In 'Prometheus', accidents appear even more amazing than the original.

'Alien: Containment' tries to make an accident look convincing but I believe the director needed more takes to make it not look too staged or storyboarded.

Anyway, I haven't seen Alien: Specimen yet.  Gonna check it out right after I type this.

EDIT:   Just saw 'Specimen'.    Much, much, much, better than 'Containment' particularly how sound and how the visual effects are handled but not as good as Ridley Scott.

Including a pet in this short was also a clever reprisal from the original.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 08:18:04 am by Battle »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile