Author Topic: Bloodshot  (Read 1580 times)

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodshot
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 06:44:19 am »
I agree. Vin is a much better choice than Jared Leto, who they reportedly had been looking at too. I've been enjoying the Bloodshot comics, the Jeff Lemire run on the character in particular.

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 07:24:11 am »

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 07:30:00 am »
I think Tommy the green ranger has been angling for that role. Lol
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 10:40:18 am »
! No longer available

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6060586/

Franks is playing Bloodshot in an online or webseries Ninjak v. The Valiant Universe.

I'm more interested in Ciera Foster as Livewire. I've seen a little of her You Tube channel. She's fine and a geek. I hope she gets more roles and in the Diesel Bloodshot movie.

! No longer available

! No longer available

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 02:57:39 pm by Emperorjones »

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 03:31:35 pm »
I think I've read just about all the newer Bloodshot comics, and got a good deal of the books with him appearing in them, since Valiant came back several years ago. If you are unfamiliar with the character, the trailer does a good job (too good) of explaining his get-down. In short, he's a super-soldier infused with nanites. Think Punisher, Terminator, and Winter Soldier (especially) when it comes to his stories.

For the most part I've enjoyed the character and many-but not all-of the stories. The jury is out on the latest series, with writer Tim Seeley, that just got started. I thought Kevin Grevioux's recent run was a jumping on point for new readers, designed for people who might become interested in the character due to the film. It combined the original Valiant Comics's hitman origin with the newer one about Bloodshot being a soldier. I enjoyed Jeff Lemire's run though it was more arc-based and one that you needed to read all the way through, more than Grevioux's to be honest. Grevioux's run felt like a soft reboot. Lemire was building on what Duane Swierczynzski, who got the ball rolling established, though taking it another level, creating a mythology of sorts around the character like I felt he did, with his New 52 Green Arrow story. I did enjoy his Green Arrow stories a lot more than his Bloodshot work, but mostly because I like the Green Arrow character more and Lemire's Arrow run was such a marked improvement over the other New 52 Arrow books in a way it wasn't with Bloodshot. Swierczynski's run was fine too, it felt like I needed to invest less time in keeping up with the story. Like checking out an action movie without having to watch every sequel, and from what I've read of Seeley's take on the character, he might be attempting something similar. So, if you were curious about the character, I would start either with Swierczynski's Bloodshot Volume 1: World on Fire or Kevin Grevioux's Bloodshot: Rising Spirit because I think both are the easiest jumping on points.

I've generally liked Vin Diesel and his films, but I'm not that jazzed about him playing Bloodshot. Certainly a better choice than Jared Leto, but still. This might have been the time for him to play a villain. The Bloodshot villain Rampage comes to mind. Even though its too obvious, I think Jon Bernthal would've made a very good Bloodshot. He looks like the character, he can handle the action scenes, and so forth. From what I've seen of Alan Ritchson on Titans, I think he would've been a good choice. Or maybe even John Cena or Sam Worthington. And they all probably would've been cheaper than Diesel, albeit lacking his star power. But with the extra cash they could put that on the special effects and action sequences and truly make this a modest budgeted, hard-hitting sci-fi action film to make it stand out from the other comic book films. This could be the John Wick of comic book films, though my gut tells me it won't and that it will not attract much of an audience. I hope that the Deadpool, Venom, and John Wick crowd does come out for it. I'm rooting for it, but got to be honest about my gut feelings. Perhaps Bloodshot will do super well overseas too, with Diesel's films doing well with international audiences, so that could also factor into why the studio went with Diesel. It would also be cool if they had Greivoux involved in the writing of the film, or starring in it, since he's already written a Bloodshot run.

Personally I think Valiant should be going for the streaming service market instead of competing with DC or Marvel at the theaters. They have some good characters and stories, but the characters don't have the visual panache or spectacle of the DC and Marvel characters. Bloodshot, Ninjak, XO Manowar, Faith, and Shadowman do all stand out visually, and I could add Quantum and Livewire, when it comes to costumes, but overall, the Valiant universe is less flashy, less eye-catching when it comes to uniforms and I would also argue villains, and on a streaming service they might be able to build their universe with the kind of storytelling that works better for them than to try to compete on a blockbuster or mini-blockbuster level. That might allow for their smaller audience to have a bigger influence and also for new people to discover them slowly, in their own way, instead of forcing a choice between Bloodshot, a character you've probably never heard of, versus say Black Widow, who almost every one knows now due to the Marvel films. Why spend money on Bloodshot in February when another kickass comic book action film, with a character you know, and starring an actor as famous as Diesel, and part of the MCU to boot, will be out in May? Heck, Bloodshot might be on home video by the time Black Widow comes out. I wish Netflix had done the deal with Valiant instead of Mark Millar.

http://valiant.fandom.com/wiki/Rampage_(Valiant_Entertainment)

Some other stuff from the comics if you wanted to get familiar with the character (beware spoilers):

http://valiant.fandom.com/wiki/Bloodshot_(Valiant_Entertainment)

http://valiant.fandom.com/wiki/Bloodshot_(Valiant_Comics)

http://valiant.fandom.com/wiki/Komandar_Bloodshot_(Valiant_Entertainment)

Diesel favors this version of the character more.

http://valiant.fandom.com/wiki/Magic_(Valiant_Entertainment)

http://valiant.fandom.com/wiki/Project_Rising_Spirit_(Valiant_Entertainment)

http://valiant.fandom.com/wiki/Bloodshot_Squad_(Valiant_Entertainment)

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 05:56:02 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 07:11:34 pm »
That trailer looks good to me!

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Online Emperorjones