Author Topic: Bloodshot  (Read 4692 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodshot
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2020, 06:04:10 pm »
I checked this film out. I thought it was a good science-fiction action film. It doesn't reinvent the wheel but it was well-made and mostly well-acted. I think it works more as a Vin Diesel film than as a Bloodshot or starting a Valiant Cinematic Universe film.

For a PG-13 film there was quite bit of violence and some science-fiction gore. I thought Diesel did well in the title role. I also thought Guy Pearce did well
Spoiler (click to reveal)
(and though his character was similar in Iron Man 3 and Prometheus, I liked him better in this film).

The rest of the cast was okay as well. Eiza Gonzalez needs to be in more movies. Lamorne Morris was the main black actor (don't think Diesel identifies as black) in the cast, and for some reason he was playing a British character (he did well enough with the accent to me that I thought he was British and had just been playing Americans all this time). I wasn't the biggest fan of Morris's character. In the second half of the film he shouldered the comic relief and his jokes were more hit than miss for me, but he wasn't too grating.

There was no end credit scene and the story basically ended in a way where there didn't need to be another one. It was self-contained. That was good and it was bad to me. It didn't leave people hanging for a sequel that might not-and I doubt-will come, however it didn't leave people either wanting to see what was coming next.

While it looked like they spent some money on this film, the special FX weren't flawless.
I also wished Diesel had looked more like the chalk-white Bloodshot from the comics, a lot more and longer than he did in the film. I also wished we had gotten the iconic blood/red circle on his chest. The effect they used wasn't bad, but I wish it had resembled the comic book look more.

Another complaint I had was that they didn't put the two creators who I feel had the most influence on this version of Bloodshot in the credits and that's Jeff Lemire and Duane Swierczynski.
Also, I wish we had gotten more nods to the larger Valiant universe than we got. I know there were some legal/business issues there that stopped that, but still I wish we had gotten some noticeable Easter Eggs.

For me, this movie brings a lot of things to mind:
Robocop, Upgrade, Frankenstein, Terminator, Winter Soldier, Weapon X, the movie Logan. I saw one review that mentioned Memento and I could see that being an influence here as well. It doesn't hurt that Pearce played the protagonist in that film.
So, if you like any of those movies/stories you might like Bloodshot, or you might just feel it was too derivative of more iconic works.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 12:56:23 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Bloodshot
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2020, 05:38:06 pm »
with Valiant, are they all owned by one company?  [obviously with Image it was all creator-owned]....
Be Kind to Someone Today.