Author Topic: Long Live the King #3: The Return of some Classic Rogues (Spoilers)  (Read 4345 times)

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
- Preview

- T'challa goes to the random plants, they are seemingly made of vibranium

- Gets attacked by machine animal things

- eventually gets captured, the villain dude taunts

- At villain dudes laire, T'challa knows who he is, Kantu from the preview, an old friend

- typical "you rejected me" villain talk stuff from Kantu with his quick origin (exile in wakanda and picked up bits of vibranium and built stuff). talks about selling tchalla in parts, yada

- T'challa appeals to his friend and kantu actually agrees to release him to track the White Gorillas

- The White Gorillas found someone that commands death... its our boy...

BARON MACABRE!!!!

and he has resurrected (errrr. continuity thing but who cares)

M'BAKU!

there seems to be some weird continuity stuff and this dude seems to love him some Panther's Rage (baron, animals attacking, jungle stuff) and that weird capture thing (you dont plan tchalla... lol wut))... i wasn't sure if T'challa got captured on purpose once he figured out who it was or what because it was his friend... whatever

BARON! MBAKU!

GIVE THEM SOME FEATS

MAKE BARON a BETTER SORCERER THAN TETU!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 06:48:36 am by MindofShadow »

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Long Live the King #3: The Return of some Classic Rogues (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 07:28:10 am »
It's it good overall. I usually wait till Friday, but it sounds like I need to read it today. lol
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 07:39:50 am »
i actually found the part kantu released T'challa to be kind of chuckle inducing.

Its built up to expect the typical villain "har har i'll never release you, you are no longer my friend, now i'll kill you" followed a miraculous comic book escape by tchalla

instead its... "hmm sounds good i'll let you go nice chat" lol

For a digital comic no one will remember except us in 5 years, it was decent. now give me feats next issue... for t'challa, mbaku, and baron

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 07:48:31 am »
i actually found the part kantu released T'challa to be kind of chuckle inducing.

Its built up to expect the typical villain "har har i'll never release you, you are no longer my friend, now i'll kill you" followed a miraculous comic book escape by tchalla

instead its... "hmm sounds good i'll let you go nice chat" lol

For a digital comic no one will remember except us in 5 years, it was decent. now give me feats next issue... for t'challa, mbaku, and baron

Interesting. I'll check it out later.

Also apologies about not doing the questionnaire MoS, I got switched to working nights and my day's are already busy as it is, but I'll be sure to drop my answers and pass it on

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 08:29:56 am »
She posted in FB to clear up the change. She was asked to do all six, but had other projects and opted to do 4. Issue 5 will be the last of her BP story and issue 6 will be a one-shot for her Venom character.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 08:35:42 am »
She posted in FB to clear up the change. She was asked to do all six, but had other projects and opted to do 4. Issue 5 will be the last of her BP story

so its a 3 part story? 1, 2, 5?

and issue 6 will be a one-shot for her Venom character.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 08:43:41 am »
She posted in FB to clear up the change. She was asked to do all six, but had other projects and opted to do 4. Issue 5 will be the last of her BP story

so its a 3 part story? 1, 2, 5?

and issue 6 will be a one-shot for her Venom character.

Agendas... As far as the eye can see.. so annoying

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 10:08:41 am »
It was okay. Like the villains costume. Cool to see old villain returns. I don't think he is a BP reader though which is why he doesn't capture Tchalla too well.

First he says he's "been too lenient" and then says he'll give leniency. lol

Villain says Tchalla doesn't plan very well? That may be true of Coatesverse BP though. lol

Perhaps the real problem is that Coates have given carp launch to write guy next door Tchalla.
I request unrealistic badass Tchalla.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 10:21:09 am by CvilleWakandan »
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 10:27:28 am »
It was okay. Like the villains costume. Cool to see old villain returns. I don't think he is a BP reader though which is why he doesn't capture Tchalla too well.

First he says he's "been too lenient" and then says he'll give leniency. lol

Villain says Tchalla doesn't plan very well? That may be true of Coatesverse BP though. lol

yeah that was the weirdest line in the book. i read it like 3 times hoping i missed something. It 100% pegs the guy as not a Priest reader, which is an automatic F in the course lol

Perhaps the real problem is that Coates have given carp launch to write guy next door Tchalla.
I request unrealistic badass Tchalla.

Because they keep hiring people who

a) aren't tchalla fans
b) aren't comic writers
c) all of the above

Which is why I am hopeful for Evan's because he at least IS a tchalla fan. So I just can't see him chumping the actual character at the least. Even if he can't write lol

this issue isn't bad imo. It isn't special. Im excited to see Baron for the first time in ages which is cool. plus M'baku, even if he was already alive (what do editors do these days anyway?)

But yeah... kind of sick of seeing people treat the BP mythos as a side project for funsies type of thing
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 11:12:44 am by MindofShadow »

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 10:52:33 am »
Ummm....

I like the idea of Kantu.   A Wakandan villain (or hero now, i guess) who is powerful, and a technological genius, and doesn't need "help" from a faustus, stane, zemo, klaw, or any other outsider to be what he is.

His origin doesn't make sense though.  His folks get killed by raiders/traitors, so he runs and cries himself into exile?

And then he creates an elaborate plan to kill BP but then has a change of heart after a so-so 4/10 level paragon speech?

I thought BP had something clever up his sleeve and was just talkin out his ass to stall, but i guess not.. which means he got his ass kicked and captured.

.. and then all is forgiven and they team up.

I expected better.
How many leaders you said you needed then left em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, its King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 11:07:17 am »
Again, I don't understand why people keep shade throwing T'Challa.

"Planning was never your strong suit" uhhhh, Tchalla is arguably the top prep Master in the MU.

This is why I tire of people just coming in and using Tchalla as a prop for their pet Characters

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 11:13:46 am »
Ummm....

I like the idea of Kantu.   A Wakandan villain (or hero now, i guess) who is powerful, and a technological genius, and doesn't need "help" from a faustus, stane, zemo, klaw, or any other outsider to be what he is.

His origin doesn't make sense though.  His folks get killed by raiders/traitors, so he runs and cries himself into exile?

And then he creates an elaborate plan to kill BP but then has a change of heart after a so-so 4/10 level paragon speech?

I thought BP had something clever up his sleeve and was just talkin out his ass to stall, but i guess not.. which means he got his ass kicked and captured.

.. and then all is forgiven and they team up.

I expected better.

in my head, tchalla knew it was Kantu and wanted to meet him face to face to turn him from the dark side

BARON AND MBAKU!

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 12:20:43 pm »
I thought that he went on purpose too. But there are more fun ways. Anti metal claws to break free. Black out enemies tech. Show up behind him in splash page.

The character background could use some work too. At least Killmonger went to the best tech schools. You expect me to believe he built all this living in the forest. At least say he broke into an unused Tech Jungle crevice or something. lol
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 12:40:46 pm »
If it was on purpose then the artist or writer or both failed to get that across. It felt more like he was captured and beaten by the guy

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 12:52:55 pm »
If it was on purpose then the artist or writer or both failed to get that across. It felt more like he was captured and beaten by the guy

yea, for real.  At what point did he decide to get captured on purpose?  Before or after the mariah carey meercats and robo elephants whooped him? And what if Kantu didn't buy the lil speech thing?

It just made BP look weak.  I expected better.
How many leaders you said you needed then left em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, its King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?