Author Topic: DUNE 2021  (Read 8515 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
DUNE 2021
« on: January 18, 2018, 04:09:23 pm »
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/dune/260180/dune-remake-will-be-star-wars-for-adults

I really hope this comes together. I think the director did a great job with Blade Runner 2049 and also Arrival. His slower pace, which pulls you into a cinematic world that would be a good fit for a Dune film done right, one that takes its time exploring so many of the facets of Frank Herbert's novels. If you are unfamiliar with the Dune series, it's like Game of Thrones in space, way before there was a Game of  Thrones.
I read the first four Herbert novels (Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, and God Emperor of Dune). I got hung up on the fifth book, Heretics of Dune, so I still have that one to read and the final Frank Herbert book, Dune: Chapterhouse. His son, Brian Herbert has written quite a few Dune novels too and I've read three of those (House Atreides, House Harkonnen, and House Corrino).

I actually liked the David Lynch 1984 Dune film, more so the visuals and the casting (which I felt was spot on), but the theatrical cut was too truncated. And there was a lot of exposition, so much so that Lynch had to verbalize the inner monologues of various characters to help explain what was going on. Sci-Fi channel used to show like a four (or more) hour cut of the film which I liked better than the theatrical cut, but from what I've read over the years, that wasn't official and to my knowledge hasn't been put on DVD or Blu-Ray. I hope we get that cut one day.

Sci-Fi Channel's take on Dune and Children of Dune I also liked. The production values didn't compare to the Lynch film, however the Dune miniseries was long enough to give the story and characters time to breathe. And Sci-Fi also had its own unique visual style which wasn't bad, though I preferred Lynch's vision. Children of Dune combined the two novels Dune Messiah and Children of Dune together. It was one of the early roles for James McAvoy. I didn't like Children of Dune as much as Dune, but I did like McAvoy and definitely Susan Sarandon as one of the villains.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 04:58:10 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: DUNE remake
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 06:19:08 pm »
Love this director and love those books.  Flawed tho the Lynch film was, it was still incredible.  Now that folks are used to cinematic epics that stretch over multiple films, it could be told properly.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 08:32:00 am »
I think that Heretics of Dune might be the cutoff point for a bunch of people.

At that point all the original characters and their kids have been dead for centuries.

Once you are in the "fifth book of the trilogy' phase, I begin to lose interest.

Nothing can get me to read Silmarilion either and I'm a pretty big Tolkien fan.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 09:32:41 am »

I read it once. I will never read it again.

Might as well read an encyclopedia. but worse. It is so. damn. dry.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 01:31:25 pm »
I think that Heretics of Dune might be the cutoff point for a bunch of people.

At that point all the original characters and their kids have been dead for centuries.

Once you are in the "fifth book of the trilogy' phase, I begin to lose interest.

Good point about Dune. Though God Emperor was a struggle for me as well. So many of my favorite characters were dead by that point and while I thought the emperor was a fascinating character the supporting cast wasn't that good and there wasn't a real threat to the emperor draining the book of tension.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 04:56:12 am »
So what's this saga about, besides the giant sand worms?  At this point, all I remember is Sting, "I will kill him!!" and somebody rambling on about "the spice"...
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 06:11:28 am »
That's a tough question because the original books in particular dealt with a lot of stuff. It focused on politics, religion, sexuality (to some extent), and ecology. To keep it simple, the Dune stories are about the fight to control melage, or spice, a substance that not only extends life but also allows for space travel. So in a way, think of it as oil on Earth and how important oil is to nations and the global economy. Unlike oil which is spread around Earth, the only planet that produces spice is Arrakis, also known as Dune.

The original stories focus in on two competing families, the good Atreides and the bad Harkonnens. But there are also other families and factions as well, including the Corrinos, the ruling family of this universe, led by Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV, and factions like the Bene Gesserit (sort of like nuns), Bene Tleliax (genetic manipulators), Sardaukar (royal elite troops), Fremen (inhabitants of Dune), Guild Navigators (mutated by the spice which allows them to 'fold space' in order to travel through the cosmos), Mentats (human computers that serve as advisors to the noble families), etc. Beyond Frank Herbert's books, his son Brian has written several books focusing more on the Atreides, Harkonnens, and Corrinos (House Atreides, House Harkonnen, and House Corrino; I enjoyed this trilogy, it was some fun nostalgia; it's not written at Frank Herbert's level, but Brian's books are more contemporary and more accessible.). Brian also wrote the final two volumes of his father's series (Hunters of Dune and Sandworms  of Dune; I haven't read either). Brian has also begun filling in gaps between his fathers original trilogy of novels, with Paul of Dune set between the original Dune and the sequel Dune Messiah and Winds of Dune, set between Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. (I started Paul of Dune and intend to finish it one day, same with Winds of Dune).

In this universe's past, humanity had once been enslaved by thinking machines, and after an event called the Butlerian Jihad, the thinking machines had been overthrown so there is an aversion to artificial intelligence in the Dune universe. Frank Herbert's son, Brian detailed the events of the Butlerian Jihad in a novel trilogy. I tried the first book but couldn't get into it. Brian Herbert has also went into detail about the Guild, Bene Gesserit, and the Mentats, each in separate books.

Another thing about Dune is that the Bene Gesserit are into breeding programs to create a messiah figure (the Kwisatz Haderach), and that factors heavily into these books, especially the first four books  (those are the only Frank Herbert books I have finished. From what I've read of Brian's works, that's not the focus so much because he's doing more filling in the blanks IMO).

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 05:06:17 pm »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 04:06:48 am »
I never read the books, how many are there?
I have a dim memory of trying to watch the 80s-era movie when it came out on TV-- All I remember this point is Sting, "I will kill him!!" (what was that about again?), and something about "the spice".   ??? ???

Wasn't there a reboot produced not long ago, in the past 10 years?
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 05:22:01 am »
^

Sci-Fi Channel produced two Dune miniseries, based on Frank Herbert's first three Dune novels, called Frank Herbert's Dune. Though it didn't have the great visual/costuming of the David Lynch 1984 film, I was impressed with it. The miniseries format allowed the large stories to breathe and overall the casting wasn't bad for many of the roles. The FX weren't great, even then, and probably don't hold up now, but I think the two miniseries are worth checking out. I think they are easier to follow than the Lynch movie is in terms of providing the space to tell the story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Herbert%27s_Dune

The link below has a full reading list, but to directly answer, Frank Herbert wrote six Dune novels (Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, and Chapterhouse Dune). Since then, Herbert's son has co-written quite a few Dune novels, many prequels, some sidequels,and two books (Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune) that wrap up his father's story.

I've read the first four Frank Herbert Dune books. As for Brian Herbert, I've read his immediate Dune prequel novels (House Atreides, House Harkonnen, and House Corrino). I enjoyed this trilogy, it is more accessible than his father's books, however, it's not as deep or as good as Frank Herbert's novels. I tried reading Brian Herbert's The Butlerian Jihad, but wasn't interested. I've also started reading Paul of Dune, which fits between Frank Herbert's Dune and Dune Messiah. I've liked what I read, however I haven't finished it.

If you were interested in trying this series, I recommend just starting with Frank Herbert's original/first Dune novel. Of these reading lists, I would be careful for spoilers. I skimmed Fabien's How to Read which is set up nice and easy to digest but I feel he/she is saying too much about the stories. So I'm putting in other reading lists as well.

http://www.dunenovels.com/articles/tags-blog/chronology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(franchise)

http://www.howtoread.me/dune-reading-order/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_short_stories#Chronology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_prequel_series#Heroes_of_Dune

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 05:25:49 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 07:08:14 pm »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/aquaman-star-jason-momoa-joins-denis-villeneuves-dune-as-duncan-idaho-a166477

This cast is almost too star-studded. Not sure how I feel about Momoa as Duncan Idaho though.